Author Topic: Flight or package?  (Read 37427 times)

Offline cabmufcok

• View Profile
Flight or package?
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
We have started to book an independent holiday in san stefanos for August 2014 but looking at Thomson reasonable package prices that are out at the moment we are now in two minds.  Can anyone give us a guide price for flights only in August next year if we catch them early (or what you paid this year).  I know you have not got a crystal ball but it is just to give us an idea.

Gavlah1973

Re: Flight or package?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »
All I'll say is you have to book them the minute they come out. There were folk saying last year that there was a vast difference in price from 9am to 3pm for example

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
Also if you are looking clear your cookies on the laptop etc you are going to book on. If you have been looking at hols/flights etc cookies tell the webpages you are looking at and it knows you are desperate to book

Offline cabmufcok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Hi Gaviah
Never booked independent flights as soon as they come out. How much notice do you get. Is it days or hours?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
You can register with EasyJet etc so they will let you know.
Remember if you book your hotel direct they get all your money rather than a small % from Thomson so you are also helping the local economy

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
Easyjet say they're publishing Apr, May and June flights in 'early Sept'.  We 'liked' their Facebook page and registered for emails from them.  Be interesting to see what their initial prices are.

Interesting too what Gav says re prices changing during the day!

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
Sounds like trying to buy concert tickets for your favourite band!!..Probably take the day off work,get up at 6.00am book our flights and then go back to bed again!! ;) ;)
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
A lot obviously book the very minute they come out which forces the prices up..... supply and dand!

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
I went independently this year and booked the accomodation direct with Vagelis and paid £245 each (plus baggage) to fly with Monarch from Gatwick.

I think the total price for 3 of us with bags was £888.   I booked them mid-April to go from 5-19 Aug.

I agree with others that I don't like the monopoly that Thomsons have in SS and Leo at Tereza told me a few years back that based on every B&B guest staying with them, they are given €5 a day per guest by Thomson!!!  €5 a day to cover the room and breakfast, totally disgraceful!!

Hence, I will now go indy in the future and have booked with Vagelis for next August and will book flights early next year.   At the moment Monarch are quoting £398 for next Aug and Thomsons are about the same so will keep an eye out over the next few months and when they drop down to around the £200 mark, I will buy buy buy! :)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
Its just such a shame Silverstar that Tereza don't do independent as we love going there we pay Thomsons for the privilege!!!! I think Leo thought about it a couple of years ago but then the Greek economy was struggling so he stayed with Thomsons. Totally agree that what they get paid by Thomsons is a disgrace.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
 We always go independently but I'm interested to know what Thomsons pay owners on average for apartments.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
Romanza told us €8 pppn for room and brekkie..... And folk still slagged the breakfasts!!!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
Romanza told us €8 pppn for room and brekkie..... And folk still slagged the breakfasts!!!

Gav's right, 8 euros is the price paid by Thomson's, and the breakfasts are fine.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »
This is a topic which has been discussed many times. I suspect that if owners can make more money by going independent, they will do so. I do not know the full details of the financial arrangements, but I do find the Thomson knocking a little tiresome. If you do not like them, use Thomas Cook, or some other company, or arrange your own visit.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
As Rover rightly says, this goes round and round like a ride on Cleethorpes beach.

TUI made a loss of 405.6 million Euros in quarter two of this year. If you believe the books.

Went independent in July and probably saved about £20 each, with rubbish flight times and airport journey. Going with Thomson in September because it's less of a hassle.

Different places are on different contracts with Thomson/TUI. There's no single figure. Some people are on fixed year payments; some are on per-person stuff.

But I do think that with budget airlines flying in and the huge returning clientèle, more and more will go independent. It's a gamble, though. The Greek economic situation is still far from stable. 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni