Author Topic: Flight or package?  (Read 37423 times)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Flight or package?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:43 AM »
This is a topic which has been discussed many times. I suspect that if owners can make more money by going independent, they will do so. I do not know the full details of the financial arrangements, but I do find the Thomson knocking a little tiresome. If you do not like them, use Thomas Cook, or some other company, or arrange your own visit.

ROVER, if you could get 30 euros a night per room (privately) apposed to the 5-8 euros a night from Thomson's what would you choose??

Unlike you, I do have first hand knowledge of many hotel's financial  arrangements with Thomson's.

The owners of many hotels in Agios (San) Stefanos cannot offer all of their rooms as independent as they do not have the global marketing to accommodate them all, so they are offered to Thomson as this is a "Thomson Town". For example, The Romanza has 32 rooms with only 5 let privately, The Nafsika has 18 rooms with only 2 let privately, other hotels/apartments are similar.
Unfortunately Thomson's do dictate how many rooms an hotel owner can offer as "private"

If you find "Thomson knocking a little tiresome" and expect them to use Thomas Cook where would you like them to stay? Kapetanios, Mythos and Vicky are the only accommodation Thomas Cook offer.

Thomson tiresome knocking is well deserved

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »
Romanza told us €8 pppn for room and brekkie..... And folk still slagged the breakfasts!!!

If the breakfasts were not up to standard, folk would have every right to complain, regardless of how much money the hotel receives from the tour operator. (I only stayed for 1 night before my wedding and the brekkie was adequate, nothing more nothing less imo)

The Romanza does just fine from its contract with Thomsons. I went up a couple of times in early June, the pool bar was busy, plenty of people were eating at lunch and the restaurant was busy the 2 nights we passed. Most of the customers were guests on Thomson packages. If the Romanza were getting screwed over, they have enough loyal customers to go fully independent and would have done that long ago and fair play to them if they did.

A different story down at the Perros in May/June though, which i found very unfortunate. When I stayed with them in 2006 they were with first choice, the place was packed, every room full and the restaurant / bar was rocking every night. BBQs and Greek dancing was the norm. Not this year though, the place was deserted with only a couple of guests staying, I truly hope the high season was far far busier for them as they are such a nice sincere family who will do anything to help their guests enjoy their stay.

If I felt Thomsons were treating their hotel owners unfairly (which i dont) I'd be booking an easyjet flight and be booking to stay at the Perros.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Okay - let's do it for the hundredth time.

I totally agree that Thomson treat the owners like peasants. For example, refusing to let them know the room bookings until too close to the time - less than a week, usually.

But - and it's a big but - without the brochure and on-line visibility of Thomson the village would be about 25% the size. The apartment owners do not have aeroplanes, ABTA certification, advertising, shops and all the other things that tour operators have. All this comes at a cost. How many times do we see messages on this forum asking how to get in touch with hotel/apartment owners?

The key point - it seems to me - is that Thomson promote and introduce people to the village. Then, perhaps, they want to go back making their own way. Is there enough critical mass for that to survive?

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »
I agree with Jimbo on this (never thought I'd say that)  :-X :D

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 01:11:34 AM »

The key point - it seems to me - is that Thomson promote and introduce people to the village. Then, perhaps, they want to go back making their own way. Is there enough critical mass for that to survive?

You're probably right Jimbo but I'll go private when it's in my financial interests!

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »
Well, the choice is there for many of us i guess.
There's enough credible insight on the forum over the years on the Thomson v Independent issue - we're all consumers and we can easily make an informed choice.
Whatever you prefer, taking everything into consideration, you choose.
Simple as that really.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:19 AM »
Yeah but D@G the resort, and the world was a different place in 2006.
Earlier this year it was very quiet in both directly booked hotels and hotels via Thomson.
When we looked round the Perros it was very quiet round their pool.
It was same at the Tsaros. Thanassis had to cancel his Greek/BBQ night due to lack of interest.
We ate at the Romanza one night. Only 5 other tables taken.

Dons on his third visit this season and he can't believe how quiet it is compared to other years

Thomson play a massive part in making the village what it is. Their marketing is second to none and some folk are scared to book independently.
However do i feel morally better booking direct this year then yes I do. It's cheaper for us and the locals get more of my money!!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
The original topic was Flight versus Package. It's impossible to give a simple answer to that question. Prices fluctuate for flights, and prices for Thomson vary from day to day.

D@G - I'm glad you agree with me. I didn't know you mostly didn't.

waspman - You can't take the high moral ground about Thomson ripping the owners off and then say you'll do what's in your financial interest, surely?

Let's just go and spend loads of Euros having a good time. It's not hard!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »
Gavin - Cross-posted.

I suspect the warm summer here has deterred the late bookers. Why go to Greece when you can get sunburned in Scarborough?

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:51 AM »
Well, without Thomson, AS would be a different place. They do advertise and promote it. When I first visited, Romanza was not a Thomson Hotel.
Indie or package, you take your choice, but do consider how much time is spent on flight searching, travel to airport etc.There are also insurance issues, packages do give some cover.
Regarding time spent on flight searching, try charging you time at you local garage hourly rate?

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:22 AM »
RE Original post.....Im sorry I asked now!!!!! ??? ??? ???
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:49 AM »
In 91 I had my first holiday in ss and that was at romanza.just a 3 bed apartment where reception is and the block farthest away from reception.thomsons gave them an ultimatium in 93.expand and modernise or you loose our contract.I became good friends with mike the owner,helen and kostas.we talked how things could be improoved and designed.took samples of the cliff structure to determine possibilies for pool etc.all was ok and plans drawn up.after a super busy winter,new reception and pool was built.suprise,suprise, thomson wasent interested in romanza anymore.can you imagine how they felt....so for 2 years they struggled,had a checks and poles staying,and I was selling holidays private in uk.now they are back with thomson as you know,but under contract,not sure now for how long.hence why they can't go totally independant.they all get paid for the rooms for the season weather they are filled or not.their proffit comes from food and drink.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 02:37:05 AM »
Well  cabmufc, I once asked about breakfast at the Romanza, and started WW3!
On a serious note, do your homework before booking.SS is a great place, and has a lot to offer. I have my own preference, and have visited SS since the 1990's. We all have our opinions, but lots of people return year on year.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 02:59:05 AM »
Rilo, many years ago, pwhen staying at Voula's , we walked down to the beach via the footpath through the Romanza. We always thought what a great position the hotel had, with stunning views from the pool area. At that time it seemed to be used by Polish and Czech guys.
When staying at the Romanza, I always look at the wall by the pool, and hope that some civil engineer has done his sums correctly!

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
I have always previously booked with Thomson in SS but this was the first year I went independent and it did work out a lot cheaper based on 10 of us.

I think we saved around £600 as a group by going 'rogue' and therefore we are doing the same next year simply because you can only book Vagelis' accomodation independently and he is not owned by Thomson.

However, I would not be adverse to going with Thomson in the future but do wish that they treated the accomodation owners a little better.  >:(

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni