Author Topic: Flight or package?  (Read 37425 times)

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Flight or package?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
I have been independently for a few years now.  When I was looking for other members of the wedding party, I noticed one week seemed cheaper for package and two weeks marginally cheaper independently.  Transfers and extras bump it up but prefer to book own transfer as really hate to waste time on the coach!  We paid 470 euros for one bedroomed apartment and friends paid 720 (both for two weeks) for lovely two bedroomed apartment - both at Christinas - and have to say that they are SPOTLESS with the best views we have ever had in Ag Stef.  Air con 5 euros extra/night - but folk who had ground floor 2 bed roomed apartment didn't need it - even in the 40's!  We definitely did though. We ordered mini bus for 16 of us through San Stef Travel which was 150 euros each way - split into couples , cost 60 euros each couple return.  This was height of season - 26th July until 9th August. Flights were a nightmare though and we ended paying around £250 each for them.  So total cost for us as a couple for two weeks in this period was about £960.  Hope this helps.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
We tend to find that for our week in June a package is cheaper but for our fortnight in August its cheaper to go independent. Having said that next June we are also 'doing it ourselves' as managed to get really good price for flights from Jet2 and Athens Bar still nice and competitive inc transfer.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
 Haven't looked at a Thomson's brochure for years but have just had a look on line at their prices for next June and I don't think there is much difference in the cost of going with them or going independently.We always make our own arrangements and stay in the same apartments in the
old part of the village where it's quiet.
Our first visit in 1987 was with Thomson and we stayed at Romanza when it was just apartments,a couple of times after that we stayed at Tsaros,
also with Thomsons. Nikos used to collect us outside Nafsica in his little old pick up truck,we had to sit in the front and hold the door closed in case we fell out.
After that,having made friends with many people in San Stef, we decided to do it ourselves.
I don't think I could go back to Thomsons now and that coach journey from the airport , the reps and those "welcome meetings".

Gavlah1973

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »
Nikos still picks folk up........ from Barras this summer!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
But he's got a smart mini-bus now,the old red pick up truck was much more fun,throw your cases in the back and jump in and that was before
the hill was tarmacked so it was a bit of a bumpy ride.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
We ate at the Romanza this summer and Andreas gave us a lift back to the Tsaros.
He just flung the buggy in the back of the pick up without even folding it down!!
Thankfully the 18 month old had been removed first!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
We do a mix of Thomsons or independately, depending on the best deal - this year - we are independant as cheap flights with EJ,
and a reasonable price for our Apartment - - which has Aircon included.
This saves €70 which you need to remember if you cost it out.
I will always go independant if I can - usually the flight prices dictate
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
As we have to go in the school hols we have found that there is little difference in price between a Thomson package and going independently.
Priced up both package and independently this year, and found that independent was slightly more expensive, although no EJ or Ryan flights available, but as Thomson prices have dropped significantly in the last couple of weeks the package deal was marginally cheaper.
It's always a bit of a dilemma whether to take the Thomson prices early or to hang on for the EJ/ryan prices to come on line.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
I wonder if those who promote the independent bookings do the same back home in Blighty.

For example do you generally buy your petrol/diesel from the local independent petrol station struggling to make ends meet at about £1.50 p/l or do you go to your nearest corporate battleship like the Tesco/Asda type outlets and pay £1.36 p/l.

Just asking like.....  ;)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
I think we've all said Lofty that price has to be right. I went with Thomson this year and independent next.
Despite the recent drop in price from Thomson our indie holiday is still cheaper

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
I agree, most people go with the price.

What I have noticed now is that jet2 now fly to Corfu from Scotland next summer but the prices are c£300 pp mark for July. Prices to Malaga and Faro for the same period are about £100 pp cheaper. Makes me wonder why the price is so much dearer as the flight is only about 20 mins longer.

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
We used Ryan Air from Edinburgh twice this year, the flights cost under £200 each. Thomsons £480! Our first stay was at Fedra Mare in May which was only 300 euros for a week, our second stay in July/Aug  was at Nondas two weeks 500 euros including transfers. However I would be booking with who ever was cheapest.
Then I would have more spending money to give to the local economy. We have used Thomsons twice in recent years, but it was a late booking and half the price it should have been, but we didn't book through Thomsons we used their internet site, Holiday Hypermarket which was  an extra 20% below the Thomsons price. Lofty; Are you thinking of returning to SS next year  :) 

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »
I wonder if those who promote the independent bookings do the same back home in Blighty.

For example do you generally buy your petrol/diesel from the local independent petrol station struggling to make ends meet at about £1.50 p/l or do you go to your nearest corporate battleship like the Tesco/Asda type outlets and pay £1.36 p/l.

Just asking like.....  ;)
I book my holidays independently,I shop at Tesco but we buy our petrol at the local village petrol station!!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
Nikos used to work as a waiter in Nafsika in those days,he only had the one apartment block at Tsaros.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
As I said - we have to go in high season - school hols - and ours worked out at £280 cheaper than cheapest package this year.  Am sure we could have saved more money if we had booked flights earlier - but there was a crowd of us and had to wait for a group decision.  I like to go independently if I can.  I take on board what you say Lofty and do try to use local produce, butchers, deli, greengrocers etc - so do try always................

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni