Author Topic: travellers cheques or cash  (Read 20305 times)

Offline sumo

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
travellers cheques or cash
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
hi guys,just wanted to know wether it is better to take cash or travellers cheques when we go to san stef.

Offline hendrix46

• SanStef Hero
  • Sooner!
    • View Profile
Re: travellers cheques or cash
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
 Personally, Ive never bothered with travellers cheques, taking a mixture of euros and sterling. There are plenty of places that have safety deposit boxes. Either at the hotel/apartments or free ones at SS travel or the one opposite Athens Bar.
 I don't take so much cash nowadays as I get money from ATMs with a bank card (Nationwide Flexaccount doesn't charge). There is one in SS at Thomas Bay Hotel (not reliable last year) and one in Arillas (very reliable). Although very safe in SS it does make me cringe now when I think how much cash I was carrying on me whilst travelling there.
 As I say, it's a personal thing of how comfortable you feel carrying cash and the impact on your holiday if you were to lose some of your money. ATMs certainly the way for me now. Yammas.
CorfuCol

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »
For us we only ever take cash and debit cards as back up if needed and use a safe deposit box. As Hendrix has said the ATM in SS is not the most reliable. There is also an ATM in Avliotes Village as well.
If you prefer to take cheques there is plenty of outlets for exchanging them. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline lisak123

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
the atm at thomas bay was broke from 15 may till 29 may,all our holidays,take cash and lots of it cos its so expensive,we spent 2grand,just eating out and drinking,oh and a quad for 2 weeks

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:03:42 AM »
the atm at thomas bay was broke from 15 may till 29 may,all our holidays,take cash and lots of it cos its so expensive,we spent 2grand,just eating out and drinking,oh and a quad for 2 weeks
What - €2000? what did you say?
How many of you? I hope it wasn't just two? or what did you drink - Bollinger Champagne?
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
What - €2000? what did you say?
How many of you? I hope it wasn't just two? or what did you drink - Bollinger Champagne?
I was thinking that as well Tony. There are only 2 of us and we eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we never spend that much.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline sumo

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »
thanks for that,i think we will take a mixture of both just to be on the safe side.

don

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
I thought we pushed it allowing £70 a day......... Then again we do take some back home!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
I thought we pushed it allowing £70 a day......... Then again we do take some back home!
£70 a day is quite generous anyway!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »
We always take more than we think we will need and always come home with a few hundred euros which we then keep for the next holiday.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 01:20:16 AM »
We always take more than we think we will need and always come home with a few hundred euros which we then keep for the next holiday.
Yes - us too - wonder if we'll bring back so much this year?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 02:30:04 AM »
Yes - us too - wonder if we'll bring back so much this year?
I doubt it. But it won't stop us enjoying our visit though :)

don

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:38:17 AM »
Already got €thousands............... For 3 weeks how much more????????????????????????

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 03:56:09 AM »
Already got €thousands............... For 3 weeks how much more????????????????????????
Great - the beers are on you all week then!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »
Great - the beers are on you all week then!!
Looks like it may be for your whole 2 weeks Tony you lucky boy. 8)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni