Author Topic: Why is San Stefanos special ?  (Read 27589 times)

Offline Stevazoid

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Why is San Stefanos special ?
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Hi all,

Reading your posts over the last few weeks , you guys really make San Stefanos seem a  special place. Just wondered what you like best about it, the village? , beach? , food ? ,people ? Also how did you first find out about SS ?

Steve

Steve

zoe

Re: Why is San Stefanos special ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
you feel safe and everyone is so friendly

Offline bobthebuilder

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »
All of the above, i don't think you'll find anywhere else with the same feel, and it's not a Greek thing, we've been else where in Greece and while it was very nice it wasn't san stef. san stef is a league above the rest ;D

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
I agree with Bob.... it's everything, the whole package. Arriving in San Stef is like arriving home. I suppose that memories and associations are always a part of it too.

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
all of the above plus as the road is a dead end small amount of cars about

and its the only place we dont realy want to leave when the time comes
would have even brought don 2 beers if we could have stayed

chris

don

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:55 PM »
We know when we arrive on the 26th we will have hugs, kisses or handshakes off everyone we meet. Even those working will wave and shout a cheery "LATER!"  or "YOU'RE BACK!"
It's the sort of place where friends will buy you a drink and not think twice about it!! They won't even remind you of it!............ Seriously!....... The holidaymakers and the locals become one extended family.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:27:30 AM by don »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »
Its such a special place as everyone is so friendly and the locals welcome you with open arms. No lager louts or speeding cars - a very relaxful place to be. The beach is lovely and clean and you have no worries abot the sea as it just gently shelves and you have to go a long way out before it gets high up your body.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:29:20 AM »
So yes as Jules says so eloquently "the sea comes to a bot height" LOL Spellcheck a la Jules still buggered!

Offline SueLa

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »
The people, locals and visitors are all so friendly.

I just feel all is well with the world when I am there :) :) :)
Sue & John
A smile is a frown turned upside down

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:25 AM »
The people, locals and visitors are all so friendly.

I just feel all is well with the world when I am there :) :) :)
I think it's because they genuinely make you one of the family!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
Its such a special place as everyone is so friendly and the locals welcome you with open arms. No lager louts or speeding cars - a very relaxful place to be. The beach is lovely and clean and you have no worries abot the sea as it just gently shelves and you have to go a long way out before it gets high up your body.

Latest from JULES SPELL CHECK "We do get Larger louts!"

Offline Colin

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
Driving down the Street in San Stef in my hired Jeep, the locals were waving and tooting at me, "that's nice" I thought, until I realised that I was driving the wrong way down a one way street  :-[ (true story)

Offline SueLa

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
LOL  Colin.

Last year we drove through the same village 3 times by mistake and each time the locals at the bar waved at us.
Sue & John
A smile is a frown turned upside down

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Why is San Stefanos special ? A devil's Advocate view
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »
Well it's entirely subjective,isn't it? And theres no accounting for that  ;)
Clearly a forum dedicated to it is hardly going to be negative nor, necessarily reflect views other than those held by dedicated Stefophiles.Of course there may be people out there who have never returned or not thought it particularly special.Maybe too quiet, too loud too boring ...whatever, you see what I mean?

From what I've read the place seems like a cross between Shangri La and Valhalla. I based my booking on the comments I found on Holiday Watchdog and Holidays Uncovered, I've rarely seen so much positivity and 10 out of 10's - clearly it has something going for it, the other factors were it's relative solitude,easy travel from where I live and within my price range

But, being a cynic,and just to play Devil's advocate for a moment,nothing more than that
The points made seem to be:

> "Local friendliness" - Well only in the UK do we seem to make a virtue of abusive chefs and intolerant hoteliers,why do we seem surprised that customer care is taken more seriously abroad. Clearly it's not in the village interest to be surly or stand-offish,and its a Greek trait to to be welcoming to strangers.It's not the locals that bother me so much as some of my fe;low Brits :) ;)

> "treated like family" - really? or made to feel at home...lol if I wanted to feel at home I'd stay at home lol.
Well I guess if you go three times a year for 25 years you will get recognised, but is that important? nice yes, but important?. Anyway this is a two way process,there are holidaymakers who are reserved and not naturally outgoing who may have difficulties forming friendships

> "Fantastic Tavernas" - well so have lots of places, I find it difficult to believe anything could beat the tavernas in Polis or Thassos but........

> "Great beaches" as above

At the end of the day it's what one wants from a holiday that makes it and whether the resort in question has enough of those factors to push the right buttons, whats right for me may not be right for you

So, when I arrive, I half expect to rose petals thrown at me, nubile young women to place garlands around my neck, and eat in Jamie Oliver like establishments at a fraction of the cost and woe betide if SS falls below raised expectations  ;D

ps my tickets have arrived

don

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »
Tickets arrived today .... All seems so much closer now!

Young Zimmer........... I think most of us post what we genuinely feel. I can only speak for myself when I say I don't post what I look on as the negative aspects of San Stef. The reason for this is my sense of fair play! There is one Taverna no one could tempt me to eat in as I have eaten there twice and had two bad meals. The Taverna in question is one of the most lauded in the village so I must be wrong!
I wouldn't say I overpraise the place. What I love is the lack of traffic, discos, PR people, Ingurland  and any other football shirts, drunks and the  high rise excesses of the most popular resorts.
I look forward to meeting you and hearing your opinion after a few days there.
We go from 26 June to 10 July and are seriously considering staying until 17 July.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:57:02 AM by don »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni