Author Topic: Taking Tecnology with you  (Read 21226 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Taking Tecnology with you
« on: May 28, 2009, 05:28:31 AM »
Well - eventually my new Netbook arrived, and I was quietly impressed.
It's so light - my laptop is 4-5 times heavier!!
Small 10" widescreen but quite workable, and does everything my big Laptop does as well.
Now almost fully loaded with software, as I planned ahead.
(I managed to buy a copy of MS Office Enterprise from my company, on an employee / Microsoft scheme for about £17 - it would have cost more for a dodgey copy)!!
Microsoft allow this if you use the same software at work!!
That was a bonus!!
All registered and authorised - and working seamlessly.
DVD burning software, with an external USB DVD ReWriter, a multitude of stuff pre-loaded, a couple of my favourite Graphics programs for my photos.
It has a built in Mic, Webcam, and wireless connection for my emails and surfing!
Speedwise - possibly a touch slower than my big PC at home, but not noticabley so!
A good buy for just over £200!!

So now I am hoping I will get a wireless connection, that I can pick up, at the Apartments.
I'll let you know!!
Anyone else have any good ideas for holidays!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Tecnology with you
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »
sorry, double dutch to me :-[ isnt it a bit of a liability taking all this stuff? and why?- oh yeah your photos hobby, I foprgot.Part of the beauty of a Greek Island holiday,to me, is to get away from technology,otherwise I could see me getting sucked into going on rugby and Dylan message boards for hours, - just like at home,lol,nah, the digi-camera is enough tech on hol for me thanks,we take nice enough photo's with that  :) ah well we're all different eh?

Offline peter

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
Small 10" widescreen but quite workable, and does everything my big Laptop does as well.
(I managed to buy a copy of MS Office Enterprise from my company, on an employee / Microsoft scheme for about £17 - it would have cost more for a dodgey copy)!!
That was a bonus!!
DVD burning software, with an external USB DVD ReWriter, a multitude of stuff pre-loaded, a couple of my favourite Graphics programs for my photos.
It has a built in Mic, Webcam, and wireless connection for my emails and surfing!
Speedwise - possibly a touch slower than my big PC at home, but not noticabley so!

So now I am hoping I will get a wireless connection, that I can pick up, at the Apartments.
I'll let you know!!

what make of netbook is it tony,i use an advent 4490 and i think it is great on the move

Offline Belgianram

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
I'll just be taking my Blackberry with me, but my other half has already warned me about using it. If she catches me looking at emails from work she's threatened to throw it in the pool!  :o

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:27:10 AM »
I'll just be taking my Blackberry with me, but my other half has already warned me about using it. If she catches me looking at emails from work she's threatened to throw it in the pool!  :o
Better not get caught then lol!!!
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Belgianram

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29:35 AM »
Very true Jules  ;D

Offline Belgianram

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
I forgot about my PSP, can't beat playing Tiger Woods golf whilst getting a tan!  8)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »
That was a bonus!!

I'll let you know!!

what make of netbook is it tony,i use an advent 4490 and i think it is great on the move
Its an Acer Aspire One with the usual Atom Processor 1Gb Mem and 160Gb H/drive webcam etc.
Lovely bit of kit and a good keyboard.
Zimmer - you are an old Fogie!! Don't be scared of computers - embrace them,
the trick is make them work for you and don't be a prisoner of the keyboard!!
I also have a blackberry (company phone), but I don't take it abroad as work can stay at home.
I have my own Sony Eric/ phone nice and small for holidays!
But the Laptops are invaluable - even read a paper for free, skype free international calls,
no more phone cards or expensive bills!!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »
Hi Tony

I work with the bleedin' things all day, yes I'm a Luddite,I guess ;),and I cant stand mobile phones either,being totally resistant to them being foisted on me by my employer [ or by noisy buggers who feel they have to have everyone know what their talking about]
"Hello Rog? I'm just going into a tun....    I'm out of it now"
,no when I go away I go away [ although this year I shall be watching TV ]I rarely buy a newspaper,we have news up to our eyeballs everywhere we go,I'm not sure I need a laptop for that and, anyway, I leave that to my son who carries a phone that does everything bar make a piece of toast,last thing I want is to phone people when I'm on hols, especially my eldest lol
Long live the Meldrews!  ha ha

[ps wife has a basic MT ]

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
I'm with Zimmer on this, down with tech stuff on holidays. Only cameras, still and camcorder. We avoid even newspapers!!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks Swede - it's not a matter of right or wrong but preferences- generally speaking I want to get away and not feel connected -  I even enjoy Greek music- so not having access to Western tastes is quite refeshing

Offline beth9178

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
Tony  The  Condor has free wireless connection. We used it while there.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
Tony  The  Condor has free wireless connection. We used it while there.
Thanks Beth, your not all miserable (mentally old), gits like the above then!!
Zimmer - I am going to have to take you in hand - you sound just like a mad recluse with a closed mind!!
A few beers will put you right!!
Swedebasher - I am with you on the camera stuff - but nothing wrong with a mobile phone for emergencies
and keeping contact with the family! But I don't do any work stuff on holiday so the blackberry stays home.
I tend to use a laptop to check my social emails, but generally scan them quickly while Linda is in the shower or getting ready,
Or even do a post here as I enjoy that! I don't let it take over my life in any way - but I embrace all technology stuff!
So if I am sitting around waitng for that odd hour after the beach - before you go out - I may log onto skype and do a video call to my cousin in Australia or my cousin in Singapore - we are close and chat weekly, also free international calls if you need them!
But mainly, besides being able to play a kids film if necessary to keep my grandson quiet, on a larger more watchable screen than an iPod, I use it to check that my photos are good and copy them onto the hard drive as a back-up.

So my netbook is not evil - its very useful!!
In fact my wife has taken it today with her to write reports on her work stuff while travelling between London - Bristol Airport by train, flying to Glasgow, and returning by plane to Heathrow.
So much more portable than a bigger - heavier Laptop and she did some on-line shopping on the train as well!!
The secret is always knowing when not to use it and not letting it become something you have to rely on - we don't for sure!!
Happy computing to all!! Long live the Net-book!! LOL

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »
Mad recluse? ha ha yeah I like that ;D better than looking like a Japanese tourist or a branch of Curry's, ;) - you dont needall that materialism my son,listen to the mad recluse, these are just the delusional trappings of a spiritually bankrupt society, how on earth did you manage to enjoy yourself before all this gadgetry? I want you to go the Thames, and throw it all in! think how liberated you'll feel when you no longer have to keep up with progress ;D

[ the ironic thing is my 18 year old is on a college course in IT practitioner skills,3rd year coming up in Sept he'll have a lot in common with you, I leave all that techy stuff to him ]

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
But where would we all be without the "techy" stuff. Still in the dark ages lol!!! :'(
Having said that there is life away from it all as well :) :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni