Author Topic: Just returned from SS  (Read 13361 times)

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Just returned from SS
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
We have literally just returned from our first stay in SS, staying at the Athina, we had a good time but the weather was bad one day the first week and 3 days the second week, and I'm talking stair rod rain!, torrential.
Our impressions were that the Athina is a well run, clean and friendly hotel, the staff are great apart from the fella who runs the pool bar, he could do with a personality transplant, nearly everbody staying there avoided the bar because of him.George and Yannis in the restaurant were great, we got along famously with them, sharing many jokes and mickey taking, he laughed at my Norfolk accent,and tried to teach us the Greek pronounciation of meals, which we dismally and deliberately failed at, altering the pronounciations around causing fits of laughter, even from George!.
Despite our earlier reservations, we were given a sea view room with balcony (305), and found it very good, OK the carpets were tired, but that's about it really, cleaning schedule was impeccable, we've never been in a cleaner hotel, sheets and towels changed regularly,rooms thoroughly cleaned daily, a requested extra pillow was brought immediately.The mattresses were a bit on the hard side, but we soon got used to them.
The meals themselves were good, not a lot of variation perhaps, don't go there and expect fine dining, but we never left the restaurant hungry, nuff said.We had all our evening meals in the hotel, but had lunch out every day  to put money into the local economy.
SS was a little small for us personally , but very nice with extremely friendly people as all you regulars will know, we hired a quad bike for 1 day the first week from Spiro's at the end of the road, we went as far as Roda on that, but because my wife has a dodgy hip, we only did it the one day, after that we had a hire car from TopCars, an excellent reliable firm, highly recommended, we went all over the island from Sidari(yuck) to Kavos, (even more yuck), we liked Roda and Kassiopi, but liked SS best.
Driving was a nerve wracking experience as well, especially in the wet, Aviotes had to  be treated with care  and no, the new bypass is not yet completed, in fact we didn't see anyone working on it all the tme we were there.The road surfaces are appalling, even on the main roads, slowly was the order of the day.
We went on a trip with SS travel, very  good, did a trio with Thomsons the second week, poorly organised and expensive,would not bother again.
We will go back there again, but not for a while, we don't like to return to the same place 2 years running, but we will return some time, and definately stay at the Athina again, probably late May or early June to avoid the worst of the rain.
Apologies for the long post, just needed to let everyone know our own personal thoughts,

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Just returned from SS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »
Sorry about the weather - that was such bad luck -really do feel that everywhere looks/feels better with the sunshine.  Did you go west of SS - Afionas, St George, etc?  Can't remember the number of our room in the Athina itwas top of the stairs turn right and the 2nd door - and though have reservations about other things - the cleanliness was second to none - think the cleaner was married to george and she was such a character - wonderfully clean lady!

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
Our room was on the top floor, 3rd from the far end on the left hand (sea)  side, I agree, everything looks better in the sun anyway, we were told that it was the worst storms for many years, just our luck.
We drove to so many places I cannot remember them all, we went all over the north of the island, inland as well as the coastal villages, we went down the right side through Corfu town as far as Kavos and back up the other side, these drives happened over a week or so, we did see a lot of out of the way tiny villages that looked like time had stood still, excellent, just what we wanted to see, not Kavos or Sidari.
As I said before, I had only very minor critisisms of the hotel, I certainly never experienced any of the problems that others have posted, all of the other guests I spoke to over the two weeks said they would certainly return at some time in the future, and so would we sometime.
I was less than happy about their petrol prices though, averaging around 1.57 euros in the north island to just over 1.60 in the south,equivalent to Ł1,41 a litre,  not good, many locals I spoke to said that they regretted joining the euro zone and would like to back to  their dracma if asked, they said more unrest would follow more tax rises that are coming after some elections soon.
They said that their VAT would rise to 25% as well after elections, I heard many stories of hardships and injustices, same as the UK really.
All in all, a good holiday despite the weather in the second of our weeks there.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
Yes - we were shocked about the price of petrol - they have it worse than us!  Don't think i would go back to the Athina - have stayed twice in the Nafsika (at the older end of the village which we like - terrific food, clean, friendly but fairly basic) and this time we stayed at the Perros.  The Perros was fab - good standard, enormous rooms with kitchen facilities and the firendliest hosts! Also they pick you up/ drop off at the airport.  Would go back there - but maybe, just book few days half board (amazing vlue) and a few nights b and b - a very flexible hotel. Spotless.

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
I had to laugh when you mentioned Kavos.  We made the effort to drive all the way down to kavos in June only to turn straight round and drive back out!!

Where are you from in Norfolk?  We live 4 miles out of Norwich!

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
We drove down there to Kavos to see what all the fuss was about, what a hole, I wouldn't stay there if they paid me.Mind you, I don't think anyone of my generation would stay there either, we much preferred the more quiet atmosphere of SS.
I live in Horsham St  Faith near the airport.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
ooh a Norfolk takeover- Caister on Sea here ;D
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
Bracon Ash just through Mulbarton! :)

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
Also met a lovely couple while we were there , also on a first trip to  Corfu and the Athina, Rob & Carol,from Martham !. they had the same views as we did, would go back sometime, very happy with the Athina hotel.So thas more of us me ole bewty!!.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
My old workmate from the EEB was there when I was larst there, so thass another two from hereabouts!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Canary

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
Canary here from Trowse, now off to Carra Road to see our boys....

don

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »
My Uncle Stan used to be in the Norwich Constabulary and lived in Laundry Lane !

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »
I used to work at the EEB if thats the Electricity Board you are talking about!  When we were in SS in June we bumped into some one who worked there as well!! 

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 03:38:01 AM »
Our friends who usually always go to S S with us, Alan and Carole, bumped into a work colleague of Alans, this year.
He had told Alan earlier in the year that he was going to Greece, when Alan asked where? he said -
"I'll have to look it up - but it's a small place no one has ever heard of", no more was said -
then Alan bumped into them in the main street in San Stefanos - looks of shock from both sides!! Very funny to see!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
Don - Laundry Lane in Thorpe St Andrew.  I know it well, i lived round the corner up until 2 years ago.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni