Author Topic: Where we ate  (Read 33050 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Where we ate
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
We ate at the following places during our recent stay - not in any particular order.

Mythica - twice - and both times the food was gorgeous. I had the Sofrito both times and would say it was the best in the village. The first time we went the service was a little slow - don't know why but the food more than made up for it.

Olympia - twice- both times the food was as good as ever and this place will always be one of our favourites .

Ozzy Oils - 3 times - Food and the ambience of Ozzy Oils will always be second to none. Ate here on our last night with 2 other couples as well and the hospitality from Kerry and Nicos was 2nd to none as ever. The mash is simply gorgeous as is all the food served here . The garden setting is wonderful as well .

Zorbas - twice - Great food and a wonderful atmosphere with the Greek dancing as well.

Little Prince - twice - Roy had the Steak Sizzler both times and he said it was even better than last years. The dancing was good and the young boy lapped up his deserved applause  - had breakfast here most mornings as well.

2 Star - twice - Food was good both times and always had a great welcome from the owners. Tried here this year after having had a not so good meal a couple of years ago but the food was much better this year and will go again next year.

Teresa - once - This is where we always stay and the food was as good as anywhere else. We don't normally eat here in the evening as we like to venture out into the village. Most days we had lunch here though after lounging by the glorious pool.

All in all the food this year was very good and we couldnot fault any establishment we went in.

We had milshakes in the Akrotiri Bar on the headland and they were the best in the village with the wonderful views from here as well.

The juice bar was a daily place to visit for the various juices and smoothies and they helped towards our 5 a day as well. The different combinations of fruits meant you could have a different one each day if you so wished.

We cannot wait to do it all over again next September.

(All the above were posted just to say where we ate and are not in any way saying one was better than the other or better than any we didnot visit)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:03:14 PM by JULES T »

Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Where we ate
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »
As a few of the regulars have mentioned on here before - we all have different tastes.

I really can't work out why people go on about the Little Prince - the food is v.ordinary. As for Ozzie Oils, again nothing special. 2 restaurants we definitely won't bother with again, when we return to SS, probably in 2012.

For us the best is Mythica, followed by Olympia and Beachcomber and then Zorbas- hope Beachcomber sorted out the dessert issue from earlier in the season! ;)

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:05 AM »
It would be so boring if we all liked the same. I always find the most hyped ones the most disappointing. I would never say this is the best/worst.
The criteria used by people is too personal. How many choose the best as the one that their "friends " run?
Then people choose their "best" because circumstance, company whatever made it memorable on that particular day. This clouds judgement.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:40:17 AM by Sandra W »
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

YANNIS26

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
I agree that the best taverna in San Stefanos title is down to personal opininion.This is a view I have held for a long time and can be applied to most things in life.Comments made many years ago by a world expert on wines endorsed my views.He was asked which in his opinion was the worlds best wine.His answer was,one you enjoy drinking.If you apply this to the tavernas of San Stefanos,just because you do not like a certain taverna does not necessary make it a bad one.The reverse of this is that taverna you think is the best is purely your opinion and may or may not be held by others.
Lots of things colour a persons choice.Food quality is high on the list but not necessary the top priority.The overall ambience of the place is equally important and we all have different ideas about this.
You all know which hotel and taverna is my own personal choice,but once again the key word is personal.I do not expect everyone to agree with me.As Sandra said what a boring place it would be if we all held the same opinions.
Yammas
Yannis  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:33:20 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
Quite right. If we all liked only one place, nobody would get in!

As I said about a hundred years ago, the best Mousaka I've had in Greece was in Sparta, with Little Prince a close second. Certainly by far the best Mousaka in SS!

It depends what you choose. It's not an exact science.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
The one thing that baffled me on this holiday was the poor quality of the 3 Peppered Steaks I had. Had one in Little Prince, one in Mythica and I cant recall where I had the other one.
The steaks were pretty much cooked as I asked.....the quality of the steak at Mythica was better than that at the Little Prince. They just cant seem to get the sauce right though. All of them were really thick....consistency akin to a thick cheese sauce. They all seemed to lack proper peppercorns. It was almost like ground pepper had just been mixed up into the sauce.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
The one thing that baffled me on this holiday was the poor quality of the 3 Peppered Steaks I had. Had one in Little Prince, one in Mythica and I cant recall where I had the other one.
The steaks were pretty much cooked as I asked.....the quality of the steak at Mythica was better than that at the Little Prince. They just cant seem to get the sauce right though. All of them were really thick....consistency akin to a thick cheese sauce. They all seemed to lack proper peppercorns. It was almost like ground pepper had just been mixed up into the sauce.

I very rarely have a steak when on hols in the Med - it just ain't up to the quality of steak in the UK these days. Since all the BSE issue all those years ago, most beef/steak i've had in the UK in recent years has been excellent.
A lot of so-called steak in the Med countries is dire IMO.
Take the infamous sizzling steak at the Little Prince, for example - poor quality frying steak - a steak cut i don't buy at home.

Offline sooz

• SanStef Regular
  • X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
Speaking as a newbie to San Stef, we didn't have a completely bad meal in all our 10 days there.  The first night we ate at 2 Stars, Richard chose kleftico and was very disappointed.  However, whatever I had (can't remember back to July) was good.  We also ate at Little Prince (v.good), Zorbas (nice) Mythica (OK) and Ozzy Oils (fantastic ambience and different to the usual greek taverna)  There were a couple of other places we ate which I can' remember names of. 

As already said, we didn't have a bad meal all holiday (kleftico excepted but Richard is very difficult to please and judges a restaurant by how they do theirs!)

Next year we will definitely return to Ozzy Oils, Little Prince and Mythica, but there were so many other places we didn't get to try. Roll on July 2011!

Sue
CORFU - I CAME, I SAW - IT CONQUERED!

Offline deerocker

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
I very rarely have a steak when on hols in the Med - it just ain't up to the quality of steak in the UK these days. Since all the BSE issue all those years ago, most beef/steak i've had in the UK in recent years has been excellent.
A lot of so-called steak in the Med countries is dire IMO.
Take the infamous sizzling steak at the Little Prince, for example - poor quality frying steak - a steak cut i don't buy at home.

I tried that steak the year before last at the Little Prince. It was truly awful...It had sizzeled before it got to me and was the worst thing I have honestly ever eaten in S.S. Wifey had the Bom Bom thingy which she was unable to finish due to being a horrible mush.
We only went there because loads of people were raving about it on here. The service was pretty bad and in the end couldn't get anyone to take our money so we went to the till and gave it to them there.The draught beer was flat as well. A very disappointing first and last time at this place...We'd always kept away from this place but thought we would give it a go...Never again..Perhaps we choose a bad night.Who knows?...Have always had a good steak at the Olive Press and The Beachcomber..
"It's not the size of the ship; it's the size of the waves." - Little Richard

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
I have a policy of never eating steak in Greece. It's just not one of their things. All the meat is cut differently, the cattle are different, and so on. You usually need to take a knife-sharpener to your incisors.

The same goes for liver. I had "calves liver" in Mythica in the summer, hoping that it would resemble something soft, delicate and delicious. I'd just say that for Greece it was less like eating a rubber ball than usual, but really didn't make it. A lot of it is the source materials, and the traditional cooking styles.

I've never been anywhere in Greece that has as much beef on the menus as SS. I assume that this comes from it being a tourist centre.

We've always had good food at Little Prince, taking the above provisos into account. We're going back to stay there for the third time on Friday, and will eat there several times. I will report back!

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
I have to agree about the Little Prince, I really enjoyed our meal there.
Our worst meal was definitely in Ozzy Oils,
neither of us touched our main courses, they were inedible.
But, top marks from me go to Waves Taverna, where we had Sunday lunch.
The restaurant was full of Greek families, up to four generations, all having a marvellous time.
The sardines were delicious, as was the Mythos, and the service was prompt and attentive.
Perfect!
Of course, as others have said this is all personal opinion of the meals on those particular evenings.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »
I have to agree about the Little Prince, I really enjoyed our meal there.
Our worst meal was definitely in Ozzy Oils,
neither of us touched our main courses, they were inedible.
But, top marks from me go to Waves Taverna, where we had Sunday lunch.
The restaurant was full of Greek families, up to four generations, all having a marvellous time.
The sardines were delicious, as was the Mythos, and the service was prompt and attentive.
Perfect!
Of course, as others have said this is all personal opinion of the meals on those particular evenings.

We visited Waves on a number of occasions back in June, when spending the day on the beach, and the food was very good value with superb service. Never went on an evening though.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
I must again say that we have eaten in every establishment at some time, and we have never had a meal we couldn't eat.
I think if you are a new visitor, and want to eat out, try them all or what ever takes your fancy, you won't get a bad meal and you may get a superb one!!

As for Ozzie oils, we ate there 2 weeks ago and it was really good - as we also found the Mythica next door to be super-sonic as well,
but then - if we all had the same tastes - - - - - boring!!

Let me tell you that there are some high quality restaurants in San Stefanos, I would love to have them where I live - - - we'd be out every night!!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »
Well said.

There are enough restaurants to suit everyone's differing tastes. The important thing to note is that each one seems to have its own loyal band of followers who return year after year, which seems to suggest a pretty good standard :)

We go to Fuertenventura in 3 weeks and hope the food is of the same quality there, if not I'll know what we'll be missing.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »
Lofty

Are you off to Correlejo? If so I've been around 7 times over the past 12 years of so!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni