Author Topic: Gyros  (Read 33762 times)

Offline deemac

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Gyros
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
my husband says he thinks they are made of all the bits no one wants he works at the vets and was told by an old vet he  would never  eat cheep sausages as they were all eyes ears and well i wont say the last one but gordon brown talks out of his if you get my drift i think it could be the same with the gyros
No, that sounds like black pudding or haggis, which are both very tasty but don't look anything look gyros.
deemac

don

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
my husband says he thinks they are made of all the bits no one wants he works at the vets and was told by an old vet he  would never  eat cheep sausages as they were all eyes ears and well i wont say the last one but gordon brown talks out of his if you get my drift i think it could be the same with the gyros

So that's what old Gord is skilled at and there was me thinking he ought to get a kite!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:49:59 AM by don »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »
Exactly my thoughts to Zoe lol!!!
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Helen

• SanStef Hero
  • Helen & Graham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
donner kebab meat in this country is made out of all the "bits" along with most processed meat eg hot dogs ect, but you can see the gyros is pure meat, no cereals to bulk it out 
helen

don

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »
donner kebab meat in this country is made out of all the "bits" along with most processed meat eg hot dogs ect, but you can see the gyros is pure meat, no cereals to bulk it out 
helen

And lovely it is too. That coming from someone who wouldn't touch doner, burgers or chips. Sorry but I love food, fresh wholesome food. Can't eat that tasteless plastic that now passes for bread and fast food..... YEUK!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
helen

And lovely it is too. That coming from someone who wouldn't touch doner, burgers or chips. Sorry but I love food, fresh wholesome food. Can't eat that tasteless plastic that now passes for bread and fast food..... YEUK!!
MacRoadkill and chips please!!
I am sure the Doner Kebabs here turn themselves - yuk - a bacterial soup turned solid in a base of pure fat and grilled to taste!!
They then cut slices off - -  which then wiggle to the plate!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »
helen

I am sure the Doner Kebabs here turn themselves - yuk - a bacterial soup turned solid in a base of pure fat and grilled to taste!!

Give me LIVER anyday!  lol ;)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »
helen

Liver, bacon and onions in a thick gravy with Mash!! - (Bit like Jules make-up - or was that Sue's?). Who said that? - NOT ME Girl's!!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »
helen

Liver, bacon and onions in a thick gravy with Mash!! - (Bit like Jules make-up - or was that Sue's?). Who said that? - NOT ME Girl's!!!
Now Tony you know you can't run fast enough so we will give you a head start of say 1 year lol!! :o
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
helen

Now Tony you know you can't run fast enough so we will give you a head start of say 1 year lol!! :o
You really Mean - -  -"Not at my age" don't you!!!

don

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
The word Gyros makes me think of work. What does it make you think of?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 03:51:45 AM »
The word Gyros makes me think of work. What does it make you think of?
Illegals come to mind!!

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 01:36:01 AM »
Yannis in the "High Street" do superb ones. Also try the pork souvlaki.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
I once remember a cookery programme where a top chef, the french one who's name I've forgotten, sampled various kebabs/gyros from different fast food outlets in London.  He gave a massive thumbs to the gyros and said they were made from decent cuts of meat.  He obviously did not rate the processed version (elephants foot).

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
Sandra W agree with you we have tried Yiannis ones in high street opposite Athena Bar, I also go for the pitta with souzlaki cubes (believe choice is pork, beef and chicken available) inside instead of the Gyros, its still served in the pitta and you ask for what you want inside for dressing: toms, onions, paprika and tsatsiki, very tasty washed down with a little retsina of course.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni