Author Topic: Smoking in Tavernas  (Read 68388 times)

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
Re: Smoking in Tavernas
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
Three actually Jimbo.  Don't forget the smoking!

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »
By the way, the 'upended table' comment was a joke.  We are in our seventies and one of the smokers was a big, muscly, tattood lad in his twenties.

I think it was your initial 'tough' response that elicited it, as that was the response I had envisaged from him if I had asked politely for him to refrain.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
I usually have a shirt on to hide the huge muscles I have on my chest. They're so huge that 50% of ants can't climb up them if they're having a bad day.

Confronted with a load of low-life at a nearby table it may be simpler to ask to move rather than have a confrontation, I guess. If you asked me, I would probably ask to move, but in the meantime would smile nicely, stub it out, and raise a glass of friendship. Not all smokers are thugs, and not all non-smokers are miserable buggers!

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
Jimbo

'obnoxious'. 'low life' - both your terms for smokers, not mine.  You know them personally do you?

You've lost me on the ants and muscles!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
Gillywoo

As you say common sense and tolerance should be expected anywhere not just in Greece.  Would you be happy to have your evening meal sitting next to a shirtless smelly person.  I don't think so.

Why not just enjoy your holiday and try not to concentrate on what the person at the next table is doing, sometimes it is very easy to become fixated on something that it almosts becomes an habit and dare I say a talking point instead of enjoying conversation/time with partners/husbands/wives etc. Greece is Greece and we cannot expect them to change, I am sure they have more important things to think about at the moment!
Personally I hate the smell of TCP which some people of a certain age seem to use has Eau de Parfum, in some of the taverna's this year the smell was overpowering but I accept that people have the right to dab it freely, it is their choice which I accept in fact even the smelly shirtless smelly person also has the right to dine where he/she chooses to do so along with the tattooed man, the scowling person who stares at you throughout the meal, those who like to chew with their mouths open displaying the contents of their meal, there are many off putting things when you think about it but for me personally I try not to think about it as I am having so much fun.

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
Lilly

Wish I'd had my TCP Eau de Perfume with me in Yiannis, I would have been a happy bunny.

Offline nursejoanne

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
I realy don't know what the problem with smoking is. I don't smoke but all my friend do and I have no problems with it at all and arnt most terverners outside  anyway. ::)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
Thing is I can understand non-smokers not wanting to sit next to someone smoking inside but outside a Taverna? you would need a police sniffer dog to detect someone smoking more than 3 feet away!

I always find it strange that some folk will moan about people smoking outside but wont be bothered about nearby cars and bikes belching out fumes, its madness. Its even worse when anti-smokers drive round in big 4*4 Cars but please don't get me started on that one ::)

Andy

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
I also find it strange that some people who smoke don't mind the smell on their clothes.  Could it be because they hold their cigs at arms length or over the shoulder, wafting smoke on the people behind.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
I also find it strange that some people who smoke don't mind the smell on their clothes.  Could it be because they hold their cigs at arms length or over the shoulder, wafting smoke on the people behind.

In your opening post you said that a solution should be found, I take it that you mean the solution that you speak of would be to have separate area's for smokers and non smokers but you must realise that this is not going to happen in Greece and nobody on this forum can find your solution as you put it, to the Greeks there is nothing to solve because they don't see it has a problem.
There is nothing that you can do about it unless you intend to tour the whole of Greece to help them find a solution to a problem that they don't have, good luck with that one!
Have you got any happy memories of your holiday if so would it not be better to concentrate on them rather than becoming obsessed by something that you have no control over? It should just be a mild irritation to you and not something to dwell on. Have you never really posted before on this forum? ;)

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
Lilly

I have never posted on this or any other forum.  As I said in my original post it has never been a problem in the past, only this year.

See my post on the Delfino Blue topic and you will see how much I love Greece and San Stefanos.

Sadly this will be my last post as I dislike the 'gang' mentality I have encountered here.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »
Lilly

I have never posted on this or any other forum.  As I said in my original post it has never been a problem in the past, only this year.

See my post on the Delfino Blue topic and you will see how much I love Greece and San Stefanos.

Sadly this will be my last post as I dislike the 'gang' mentality I have encountered here.

WinJ, You voiced your opinion on something and in response other people gave their opinion which in the main was different to your opinion this does not mean that there is a gang culture it just means that for most people the subject is not an issue, I think maybe that this came has a surprise to you. If everyone had agreed with you then I am sure that you would have posted again. At least people have been honest in their responses which I think means far more than skirting around something and not saying what they really feel.
Some things in life really don't matter so much in the grand scale of things.

Yammas.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
WinJ,

It would be sad if you were to leave. There is no "gang mentality" here. What there is a lively expression of opinion. I get loads of stick, because I'll usually say what I think is true.

It's called democracy - an idea invented by the ancient Greeks.

There are two separate things in this forum:

(1) Somebody asking a question about (say) an apartment. They will get one or many experienced and objective responses. We all try to be helpful, and have been.

(2) Somebody starting an "opinion" thread, like this one. If you do that you can expect, not just here, but in many forums, to find that not everybody rides on your hobby-horse. There will be "fors" and "againsts."  It's important to keep a sense of humour and recognise that we do not always agree about everything. That's what keeps the forum going over the winter when we'd all rather be sitting on a beach. You cannot reasonably expect not to be challenged.

Many of us have heated exchanges on the forum, but will happily meet up and chew the fat (sometimes literally) in Agios Stephanos, have a hug and a drink, and enjoy life. That's the essence of being away from it all in a nice place: we forget political and other divisions and just enjoy the company and some life-experience sharing.

Please continue to take part in the fun.

Jim  

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 01:46:22 AM »
WinJ,

It would be sad if you were to leave. There is no "gang mentality" here. What there is a lively expression of opinion. I get loads of stick, because I'll usually say what I think is true.

It's called democracy - an idea invented by the ancient Greeks.

There are two separate things in this forum:

(1) Somebody asking a question about (say) an apartment. They will get one or many experienced and objective responses. We all try to be helpful, and have been.

(2) Somebody starting an "opinion" thread, like this one. If you do that you can expect, not just here, but in many forums, to find that not everybody rides on your hobby-horse. There will be "fors" and "againsts."  It's important to keep a sense of humour and recognise that we do not always agree about everything. That's what keeps the forum going over the winter when we'd all rather be sitting on a beach. You cannot reasonably expect not to be challenged.

Many of us have heated exchanges on the forum, but will happily meet up and chew the fat (sometimes literally) in Agios Stephanos, have a hug and a drink, and enjoy life. That's the essence of being away from it all in a nice place: we forget political and other divisions and just enjoy the company and some life-experience sharing.

Please continue to take part in the fun.

Jim  

Jimbo,

You should work for the diplomatic service ;D

Andy

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:02 PM »
Stick around WinJ, Please read the previous thread on smoking while dining alfresco  - brought the forum to life after the winter doldrums ! I took some ribbing also. My spoilt for choice threads also cause some disquiet from time to time, it's all in the mix. A casual glance or some tough rebuttals can give the impression of cliques or gangs, I raised this one time also! However the forum is bigger and better than that, hold your own, the banters great. I agree with many of your points, I find cigarette smoke abhorrent , I can smell a smoker from many feet away even when they are not smoking. In the UK  smokers returning indoors from outside smoking must have no idea how they smell as they enter a room. I recently lost my mum due to her smoking habit , how any smoker says they do not wish to break the habit is beyond me. Do certain personality types smoke more than others, do smokers use alcohol more than non smokers. gamblers smoke more than non gamblers ?
Smokers seek more instant gratification and self satisfaction than non addicts? Just asking?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni