Author Topic: Smoking in Tavernas  (Read 68350 times)

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
Smoking in Tavernas
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

We have been coming to San Stefanos for 8 consecutive years and returned last Monday having enjoyed a fabulous 10 days.

The only thing that spoiled it was the smoking in the tavernas and it seems to be getting worse.  We were in Yiannis one night and four people on the next table smoked continuously all through the meal.  Little Prince was another taverna where people seemed to smoke continuously, as against previous years when it was one cigarette at the end of a meal when most people had finished their meals.  We ate at Olympia 3 times and did not see (or smell) one smoker.

I really do think it is about time the taverna owners had smoking and non-smoking sections and ask as you enter which you prefer.

Sorry to bring up this controversial topic again, as I seem to remember a heated discussion some time ago but I do think a solution should be found, as leaving it to the discretion and courteousness of the people who smoke does not seem to be working.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking in Tavernas
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

Ding ding!  Round two!  And it's Jimbo in the red corner wearing his little puple number shorts, undefeated now for about twenty nine years up against ........................, to be continued.   ;)

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
im off.get the ice ready...

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
Presumably, WinJ, you went to these obnoxious people and asked if they'd mind refraining? If not - tough.

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »
Jimbo -I did not want to spoil the evening, as one 'smart Alec' reply such as yours and my husband might have up-ended their table!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »

Jimbo moving around the ring effortlessly, using his left jab to maximum effect.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »

Winj catches Jimbo with a low blow.

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
What we've noticed is the huge number of people using the electronic ones instead,  even Dimitri in Little Prince has one

Gavlah1973

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »
I'm pouring an ale and sitting back........

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
Jimbo - Just to clarify - I did not use the term 'obnoxious', that was your interpretation of them.  I said 'discourteous'.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
Personally, I always try to sit downwind of other tables unless the slightly up-wind table has fags on it.

At Little Prince, the tables on the upper level have very big gaps between them, and we always try to sit there. Taking account of the distance between tables and the wind direction strikes me as reasonably courteous. If sharing with non-smokers I will always ask if they mind, and not throw a tantrum if they say that they do. Various forum members will agree with this.

What I don't like is sanctimonious non-smokers not pointing out that they have a problem and moaning afterwards. And, as a previous message implies, dreaming of fantasy, discourteous, and violent behaviour when a couple of civilised words would have solved it.  

Nafsika has a large and generally under-populated non-smoking area.

As for "smart-Alec" - plainly you don't like ever to be challenged.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:33:48 PM by Jimbo »

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
Jimbo wins the first round rather easily and his trainer lilly is whispering encouragement in his ear.  The towel man/woman debra is looking rather smug.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
The referee Caz has had a word with both fighters to try and keep the fight fair.  However, it looks like both competitors are going to go full on.  This could get ugly.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Oh no,not again.This has been done to death. ::)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline WinJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Jimbo - Point 1 - We were not asked if we minded.
Point 2 - Sanctimonious I am not, and what 'dreaming of fantasy' implies, I have no idea.
As for not liking to be challenged, pot and kettle spring to mind.

What I did hope for when I posted was some constructive answers as to how to solve the problem.  Obviously this is not going to happen with Jimbo shooting down anyone on this forum in flames if they dare to have a difference of opinion.  Did anyone consider the proposition of smoking and non-smoking sections of the tavernas or is this a point scoring discussion only.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni