Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75687 times)

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
As someone that's uses an inhaler and has had to leave a table because of smoke blown my way I can cope with ,but having it blown on my two small Grandchildren I find it offensive they cannot get up and leave.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
Threatening to crush the property of others is the action of an ignorant and stupid barbarian.

I will do what I am allowed to do (decreasingly) with sensitivity to others. I will not be bullied or blackmailed. As it happens, my educational qualifications are more than adequate, thank you.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
Sellsy

Going back to your original 2 questions,

Pedantic? No

Others opinion? I think it is agree or disagree depending on their point of view!

Looking forward to your next 'blockbuster' thread  ;D

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
Loftyscot - It was a well intended genuine question merely seeking out opinion regarding this aspect of dining.I have tried to put it into context that on a rare occasion our meal was genuily spoilt as all tables around us were smoking throughout. No big scene,we just finished off and went for a few beers!

I honestly believe there is room for both with a little bit of give and take required on either side. I would say however , that for every clean air soldier , there is a smoker who appears to revel in the Corfu freedom of being able to smoke as and when, and many show little regard for those who would rather not be covered by smoke.

In the context of this old world it's no big deal as such, I very much approve of ,and appreciate some of the light hearted banter within the thread. I prefer to read them over some of the barbed comments and pseudo threats. Having said all of that, I hope members agree this has been an interesting thread, just wouldn't want people falling out or getting upset about it!      Now then, peeing in the sea is not as bad because....... ;D

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
Have you actually got any legs? Had it ever crossed your tiny mind that you could move?

What a selfish and biased comment from a man who was apparently a BBC news producer/presenter (reading, writing and evaluating news and never been sued, that's a surprise) also is/was an author, play-write, not to mention a person adept in metaphysics.

Surely, from such a learned person, one would expect a more balanced viewpoint of a habit that causes countless diseases and deaths in both adults and children.

Why the hell should Bristle Boy (the one with the tiny mind) move? Perhaps it would be beneficial to all if the person causing the potential health problems moved!

Adequate educational qualifications maybe, but adequate sense?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
If I am sitting smoking at an outside table and somebody comes and sits next me and then starts moaning I will suggest that they relocate.

In a crowded place unless lots of nearby people are smoking I will not smoke.

I always try to sit as far away from others as to make the potential density of any smoke negligible to zero.

I will not smoke while my neighbours are eating. I will always attempt to sit at the downwind end of the area.

That strikes me as a reasonable, civilised, and sensitive approach. Crushing other people's property does not.

I gave up smoking for four years and during that time never once complained about people smoking - in fact I found it strangely warming. Militant ex-smokers are, in my opinion, hypocritical triumphalists.

Since the Stalinist removal of freedom for bars to decide whether or not to permit smoking I have met some really great people as we sit outside under space heaters. Smoking is not always anti-social.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
I gave up smoking for four years and during that time never once complained about people smoking - in fact I found it strangely warming. Militant ex-smokers are, in my opinion, hypocritical triumphalists.

I view this very differently from you. I view it as somebody who failed to keep their quit and is taking out their own failures on those who have succeeded.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
If you're talking about me that isn't at all true. I went back to smoking deliberately, because I found it very difficult to sustain the high levels of concentration required to write screenplays.

I think it's the non-smokers who are "taking it out" - not me!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Come on guys - this is a lovely forum for Agios Stefanos Fans - I SO enjoy reading all your ideas and views - lighthearted, supportive and helpful as they always are.  Maybe this thread is about done to death now - what do you think?  Time to put it to bed?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Yes, I agree Debra but in defence of Jimbo he has clearly stated that he shows consideration to others R.E his post of today at 2.47pm and quite rightly points out if someone comes and sits near him when they are aware that he is smoking then it should be they who relocate and I also think the 'crushing of cigarettes' is what got peoples backs up, nobody has the right to do that and tbh this would only be done to those deemed an easy target such as the elderly because nobody in the right mind would try that one on with a strapping 6ft bloke unless of course they want to spend their holiday in hospital or wrapped around the nearest lampost.
Those who are complaining about smoking obviously catch a plane to their destination and most probably own a car both of which pollute the atmosphere and cause health problems but the most important thing is that the smokers who have commented on this thread have all said that they would and do show courtesy without being asked to do so, it is the attempt to treat people with aggression and dictation that irks people.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:18:38 PM by lilly »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:35 AM »
Thanks, lllly. I think you summed that up perfectly. But I also agree with debra - enough is enough. I've probably said more than I would wish to have said, and will say little more on this topic.

As I'm a mere five feet six inches tall and elderly I am a deceptively easy target for bullies. What they don't realise is that I spent 27 years in a Japanese Dojo learning advanced ninja skills and several years in the SAS. Well - maybe not. But I have similar abilities, as all small boys wearing glasses have to develop if they are to survive. So don't pick on me!

Offline middy

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2013, 02:25:31 AM »
             Just been out for a lovely meal at a country pub, eaten in a smoke free environment. In days gone by (before the smoking ban) this would have been followed by a return to our local to meet up with friends, have a laugh and maybe a game of darts before returning home at closing time. Unfortunately (since the smoking ban) the village pub has now closed, so after our meal we came home. Nothing much on the telly so thought I'd read the latest posts on the forum. This thread seems to have wandered off course slightly from the original subject of smoking while dining alfresco to smoking almost anywhere.
              The one upside of not going out as much because of the smoking ban in the U.K. is that we now have more money to spend, most of which goes on our two or three weeks holiday each year in Agios Stefanos. The friendliness of the locals, the strolls along the beach, people we have met over years and the laid back feel of the village are all things which draw us back each year along with being able to walk into a bar, buy a drink, sit at a table and light a cigarette. For most of the season empty tables far outnumber occupied ones so surely there is plenty of room for everyone. The views expressed by Jules and Lilly  
 are fortunately the views of most reasonable people and long may this continue to be so.              

Offline stancooper

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
This is only a suggestion Middy, but if you gave up smoking you would be healthier, save money and be able to spend even longer in SS, and may be able to have a taxi to the nearest pub?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
There's also a lot more to pubs closing than the smoking ban. As someone who works in the drinks industry there are a number of factors.  Mainly the aggressive duty escalator which has seen tax on beer increase by 45% since 2008. Also the fact that around the time the smoking ban came in, around 14000 of the Uks pubs were owned by Punch and Enterprise Inns. Basically they lease out pubs with high rents and charge their tenants over the odds for drinks when compared to the free market. 
Most free houses have coped well with the smoking ban. ..... unfortunately these tenancies haven't! !!
The Uk now has the highest number of brewers since 1940!
Then there's also the aggressive supermarket pricing......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »
I think another factor is the rise of the wine-bar. There are four just round the corner from us and they are extensively used by women of all ages, unlike the three pubs.

The only time I go to any of the pubs is to watch football. The Pave wine-bar always has excellent guest beers and great and varied food. The pubs have all stopped serving food, and all you can drink is fizzy freezing cold "chemical" beer.

It's a shame that so many village pubs have closed. Here in the city we have vast choice; out in the sticks the best they can do is go to Asda and stock up. A whole dimension of social life has been lost.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni