Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75636 times)

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
I have never smoked.  I know the dangers.  Alfresco - come on?  Why not - move if you don't like to be near a smoker!  Why should it bother me - I am on holiday and so is everyone else - tolerance is a wonderful thing.  Chill and be happy - that's what I say.  Prejudice and judgementalness (is there such a word?) leaves a bitter taste.  Life is definitely too short.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
I have never smoked.  I know the dangers.  Alfresco - come on?  Why not - move if you don't like to be near a smoker!  Why should it bother me - I am on holiday and so is everyone else - tolerance is a wonderful thing.  Chill and be happy - that's what I say.  Prejudice and judgementalness (is there such a word?) leaves a bitter taste.  Life is definitely too short.

Well said Debra and you are right in that life is to short, for me I am happy just to be able to go on holiday this year having had some health problems so I don't care if people smoke or not, I don't care if people are doing the 'Dad dance' at the condor bar, in fact I don't even care if it rains, I just feel fortunate that I afford to go on holiday so will be concentrating on having a good time, only 11 weeks to go!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:35 AM »
Im gonna do the Dad dance this year!!!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 02:27:33 AM »
Never smoked a fag in my life but I really dislike the anti-smoking storm troopers.

If you dont like smoking dont go to Greece where 70% of the population enjoy smoking without a Nanny state nagging them all the time.

As for anti-smokers preaching the benefits of clean air, how many of them drive cars that belch out a multitude of gases, few of which are beneficial to our health.

Tolerance is what is needed.

Andy

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 03:28:26 AM »
Interesting points one and all, just to confirm I raised the question as we had a meal spoilt by excessive smoke from several tables all around us. We were under cover in a balcony area. We didn't complain just smiled and got on with our meals, we were on holiday, it's what you do. It's not practical to move mid meal, but it may be practical to have non smoking areas? The alfresco aspect is relevant , outdoors not a problem, but in semi enclosed dining areas it can genuinely be unpleasant for non smokers.No prejudice,no nanny state storm troopers,no human rights articles being waved about,just a family tolerating the habits of others and asking a reasonable question of fellow holiday makers, Is it right to smoke next to fellow diners as they eat their meal?

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »
Lilly, Gav, ....The Dad dance! Now there's a thread starter if ever I read one....over to you ......Gav I've seen your shapes on the dance floor, you danced like a Dad even before the little one arrived!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
Love it - the dad dance!!!  Will be looking out for that then..................

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
One things for sure......... You can always rely on a topic about smoking to liven up the forum for a day or two! :D

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Smoking and jam, fierce topics!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
The statistical studies upon which the conclusions about secondary smoking are based are widely considered to be deeply flawed and scientifically unsound. There is no clinical evidence - only dubious statistics.

The largest studies conducted are in America, where a senior judge said the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) had illegally manipulated the data - including lowering the reliability rating from 95% to 90% to get a result that was politically motivated, and that it had ignored any studies which went against the desired outcome. One research paper, for example, found a 20% lower incidence of asthma in children whose parents were smokers.

As Mark Twain said, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
Gavlah doing the Dad dance, would love to see that! ;D ;D ;D

YANNIS26

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
Hi Jimbo
The above statement is very true.You can prove anything with statistics.
People have very polarised views on smoking.
We have both the pro & anti stormtroopers in our midst.
My view is somewhere down the middle.This post is about smoking while dining alfresco.My view is that non smokers should not be subjected to smoking during their meal, however you achieve this.My personal view is if I was a smoker I would refrain from smoking.I would not put a non smoker in the position of having to move to avoid my smoke.I would find it much more convenient for everyone to leave the dining area to have a smoke.As regards smoking in general, including in open air bars I have no problem with this.In the past my most satisfying smoke was while drinking.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
The statistical studies upon which the conclusions about secondary smoking are based are widely considered to be deeply flawed and scientifically unsound. There is no clinical evidence - only dubious statistics.

The largest studies conducted are in America, where a senior judge said the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) had illegally manipulated the data - including lowering the reliability rating from 95% to 90% to get a result that was politically motivated, and that it had ignored any studies which went against the desired outcome. One research paper, for example, found a 20% lower incidence of asthma in children whose parents were smokers.

Well said jimbo, there are lies, lies and statistics particularly when it comes to government politically motivated propaganda.

It's the same with Global Warming but that's another issue ;D ;D ;D

Andy

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
Interesting points one and all, just to confirm I raised the question as we had a meal spoilt by excessive smoke from several tables all around us. We were under cover in a balcony area. We didn't complain just smiled and got on with our meals, we were on holiday, it's what you do. It's not practical to move mid meal, but it may be practical to have non smoking areas? The alfresco aspect is relevant , outdoors not a problem, but in semi enclosed dining areas it can genuinely be unpleasant for non smokers.No prejudice,no nanny state storm troopers,no human rights articles being waved about,just a family tolerating the habits of others and asking a reasonable question of fellow holiday makers, Is it right to smoke next to fellow diners as they eat their meal?

Just to say that I do think smokers should be considerate when other people are eating nearby, it doesn't bother me but it may do other people. Gill smokes 'a lot' but if the smoke goes across to other dinners out goes the fag. It's just being considerate.

What I object to is the blanket ban in the UK of what is after all a legal activity, I wish we could ban naughty children in restaurants as easily ::)

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
Andy - let's not start on global warming, which is indisputable!

Here are a few actual facts for the anti-smoking devotees to remember:

* In 2012 UK smokers contributed £12.1 billion to the exchequer - representing approximately 2% of total income, and 11.1% of the NHS budget, or the whole of Child Benefits.
* Smokers live on average five years less than non-smokers, representing a massive saving in pensions and health care.
* Smokers pay 10 times as much money towards the NHS as they cost.
* The UK is the third most expensive place to buy cigarettes in the world.
* The World Health Organisation stated that increasing prices had little or no effect on smoking rates.

It should be fairly clear from this that if smoking was actually banned, UK taxes would have to rise by substantially more than 2%.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni