Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75265 times)

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:28 AM »
The 'discussion' rumbles on and appears to be quite divsive, which in itself is v unusual for the San Stef forum.
That probably tells a story about how smoking has become v 'black and white'.
I did not mean to cause offence earlier this week - al fresco smoking is fine - that's where it should be, but just be considerate to the tables near you. You wouldnt blow smoke over your friends on your table, so why slyly blow it over your shoulder to affect the table(s) near you?

When we were in San Stef in 2010 and 2009 both hotels we stayed in had no smoking in their bars but never enforced it. Did it spoil our friendships with people we met? No.......but it would've been preferable if the people we'd met had stepped outside to smoke.

As for the UK the smoking ban has been brilliant. Not going home without smoke smelling clothes or a hoarse throat (or coughing in the night) has been fab.
More people going to pubs to eat and drink - many families would not have considered a good pub  to eat, without the smoking ban.
As for the argument that pubs have suffered because of the smoking ban - complete rubbish!

Pubs have suffered because
(i) Peoples eating and drinking habits have changed
(ii) It's become much cheaper to drink at home
(iii) Rents from the brewers have vastly increased
(iv) The large brewery conglomerates have inflicted around 3 price increases/year on beer for last 30 years ( the govt tax take is small compared to brewery price increases every year)

As for smokers thinking they have a right to inflict their filthy habit on others, why not congregate in your own room and let each other inhale each other's putrid smoke - the rest of us, especially my 2 year old grandson, shouldn't have to.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »
You have a great way with words Jimbo when you attack somebody as having a "tiny mind" then say that most of the aggression has come from others.

I will agree though that this thread has run it's course and probably needs locking up.

Completely agree

Gavlah1973

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Brizzle Boy.....

Most pubs aren't actually brewery owned..... they are now owned by Punch and Enterprise Inns and the like who charge nigh on full list price for beer despite receiving hefty discounts and who also charge high rents.

With regards to Brewery Increases...... we deffo only put ours up once a year,  same goes for our competitors.  The amount does vary..... we only went up 4%....... Heineken put John Smiths up 2.5% but also reduced the ABV saving themselves about £7m quid in duty!!

I can't remember a year where any of the big boys put through more than one increase!!
4 % isnt a bad increase when you consider price of fuel and also the effect on hop prices the bad summers have had!!

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
My goodness what a thread that was!! I think my policy when on holiday is live and let live! I'm a non-smoker but would imagine it's wonderful to go on holiday and have the luxury of smoking in places you're not allowed over here. After all holidays are all about doing things you can't do back home, eg. Drinking cocktails before noon!! One of my favourite things to do!!  :o  ;D

Gavlah1973

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
You loose woman!!!

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
Ha!!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »
Well, it certainly hasn't been a "drag" has it?

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
Brizzle Boy.....

Most pubs aren't actually brewery owned..... they are now owned by Punch and Enterprise Inns and the like who charge nigh on full list price for beer despite receiving hefty discounts and who also charge high rents.

With regards to Brewery Increases...... we deffo only put ours up once a year,  same goes for our competitors.  The amount does vary..... we only went up 4%....... Heineken put John Smiths up 2.5% but also reduced the ABV saving themselves about £7m quid in duty!!

I can't remember a year where any of the big boys put through more than one increase!!
4 % isnt a bad increase when you consider price of fuel and also the effect on hop prices the bad summers have had!!

Yes i know.
My wife's parents used to be leaseholders (when they were alive) - i worked in a pub for 3 years many years ago; my current boss owns a pub.
I know how much pub landlords/ladies have to pay but it's a fact that the beer suppliers increase their prices each year far more than the govt tax - has been for years.
Just look at the balance sheets of the large brewery conglomorates - huge profits. They've only got themselves to blame for less customefs using the pubs and turning to cheap supermarket drinks.

It's a fact that beer inflation in pubs has been double normal inflation for last 30 years.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »
Agree to an extent but if you look at a single pint...... pub makes more profit on that pint than the brewer!! Way more.

I make around 20-22% margin....... Free Trade pubs make around 55% with some as high as 70%. Obviously brewers sell millions of pints when compared to an individual pub.
Brewery I work for is building 25 new managed house per year. Creating jobs and investing in the industry!  Good beer and good value food!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
Good Beer - debatable -
So it's Marstons Light Ale v Mythos

I'll have a Mythos any time.... LOL

TIP:
Marstons should sell Mythos and profits will expand once more -
the populous will rush out to pubs again and the Greek economy will be re-born -
Europe will collectively shout "Yammas"......
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni