Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75667 times)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
As non smoker I wonder what members views are on smoking while dining on terraces and balconies? We love the Little Prince, on our last two meals on the Veranda near the roadside we were surrounded on all sides by tables of smokers who lit up after every course. This did not run in sequence with our courses which meant we were practically tasting cigarette smoke as we ate? Am I being pedantic? Is this an acceptable part of alfresco dining? I notice ashtrays are provided both in and outdoors in all SS restaurants.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
As I smoke a lot, I always try to sit as far away from other people as possible. Little Prince used to have a non-smoking area, which is a good idea. With a tactful approach most smokers will move or pop off-piste for a quick drag. Little Prince is the most popular venue in Ag Stef, so it can get a bit crowded.

Nafsika has a very large no-smoking area.

After a long winter huddled under the space-heaters in wine-bar gardens, it's a real pleasure to be able to relax and smoke in Greece. All it takes is a bit of give-and-take and everybody can be happy. After all, smokers spend the winter outside - perhaps non-smokers could share the experience by eating inside!

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
As I smoke a lot, I always try to sit as far away from other people as possible. Little Prince used to have a non-smoking area, which is a good idea. With a tactful approach most smokers will move or pop off-piste for a quick drag. Little Prince is the most popular venue in Ag Stef, so it can get a bit crowded.

Nafsika has a very large no-smoking area.

After a long winter huddled under the space-heaters in wine-bar gardens, it's a real pleasure to be able to relax and smoke in Greece. All it takes is a bit of give-and-take and everybody can be happy. After all, smokers spend the winter outside - perhaps non-smokers could share the experience by eating inside!

Why should non smokers share the experience? They have not chosen an alienating habit in the first instance.

* this is coming from a former (30 a day for 18 years) smoker.

This will be my first time in SS as a non smoker. In previous years I would always get up and smoke away from the tables (usually away from the restaurant completely) because my children were always seated at the table. I would expect anybody else to smoke away from my children also and won't mind telling any smokers either.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:42:21 PM by D@G »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
I find that slightly aggressive response a little sad. I think it should be "ask" not "tell."

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
lol Jimbo! All for a bit of a common sense approach but don't think the missus would like to dine 'in' every night! Think we were a little unlucky re the number of smokers surrounding our tables last year. Cant say I  noticed many non smoking areas around town last year? Don't think its a problem when you really are 'outside', but many areas are half and half. Don't really want to cause a 'us and them' thread but personally, if there were clear non smoking alfresco tables, I think I would happily wait to sit there. Never been a smoker just struggle with the whole thing, however,each to their own, especially on holiday!

D@g as an ex smoker would you now  look out for non smoking areas?

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
I am a "reformed" smoker, but I do find the smell of smoke unpleasant, even outdoors. What annoys me though, is when the rules (and I think there are some!) are openly flaunted. Last year I was in a bar in SS, which was enclosed on all sides, and a customer lit a cig. right next to the "No Smoking" sign. When we pointed to the sign, the response was "this is Greece, who minds?" Of course the bar staff should not allow this, but no action was taken. I felt that an unpleasant scene would ensue if I started protesting, so did nothing. The problem is that the "rules" are not enforced in Greece (and other EU countries) to the extent that they are in the UK.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
I stopped smoking 18 months ago. When I did smoke I enjoyed being able to smoke after my meal whilst sat at the table. I would say that I always tried to be considerate and not to light up if the people next to me where mid course. Now I have no issue with people smoking around me, after all they are ot breaking any laws by smoking outdorrs. I find it highly irritating that people would try to impose their views and beliefs on others who are doing nothing wrong. If you don't like someone legally smoking next to you then move or sit inside. I am getting realy sick & tired of lefty do gooders constantly telling other people how to live their lives! Rant over.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
Sounds to me like you need a cigarette!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
Rover - I regard the ban on smoking in bars in the UK as outrageous. How nice that the Greeks (some of the longest-living people in the world) have a more relaxed attitude to overbearing regulations.  I can happily accept not smoking in restaurants - but bars? I don't think so.

I suggest that people who don't like the smell of smoke don't go to barbecues.

Personally, I dislike the smell of sanctimoniousness.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
Ahh Jimbo, your habit has impaired your sense of smell. Tobacco smoke and the smell of cooking are different.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
There's been no change to the smell of "Holier Than Thou," though.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »
Oh dear, how trite!

YANNIS26

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
I gave up smoking in 1986.I respect the right of any one who wants to continue smoking but I do not believe it should be allowed in a dining area be it within an enclosed space or in the open. Knowing the well advertised dangers of second hand smoking I believe any smoker with a conscience would not smoke among diners.I do not care if it is law or not .
Just take look at the NHS notice enclosed.
NHS
Secondhand smoke
Secondhand smoke comes from the tip of a lit cigarette and is the smoke that the smoker breathes out.

People who breathe in secondhand smoke are at risk of the same health conditions as smokers, particularly lung cancer and heart disease. For example, breathing in secondhand smoke increases a non-smoker's risk of lung cancer by 24% and heart disease by 25%.

Children are particularly affected by secondhand smoke because their bodies are still developing. For example, children under five have an increased risk of chest infections, and babies are at greater risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) or cot death.
Yammas
Yiannis
These views are mine & mine alone.I leave yours to your conscience.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:53:17 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »
Rover - I regard the ban on smoking in bars in the UK as outrageous. How nice that the Greeks (some of the longest-living people in the world) have a more relaxed attitude to overbearing regulations.  I can happily accept not smoking in restaurants - but bars? I don't think so.

I suggest that people who don't like the smell of smoke don't go to barbecues.

Personally, I dislike the smell of sanctimoniousness.

Thankfully, IMO, you were not voted into parliament then.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
I actually would not have  minded Jimbo being voted into parliament, at least he is honest and talks straight unlike the bent incompentent baffooons /nose in troughs self pocket lining dictators that are running the show in this country! :) :) :)

The thing is if you do breathe in a some smoke in a two week holiday then it won't do you any harm, it might though if you are constantly exposed to it but since it has been banned in pubs in the Uk where most of us live then I would not worry and just enjoy your holiday. Most of us drive cars which pollute the air that we breathe on a regular basis (adding to pollution alot more than a 2 week holiday of being close to a smoker) and then we catch a flight to Corfu which also causes pollution so we are all guilty tbh but then nobody is perfect!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:21:40 AM by lilly »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni