Author Topic: Newbie - Delfino Blu  (Read 64558 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie - Delfino Blu
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 01:16:42 AM »
So do we say then in summary, all will be happy if the owner moves the sign from the beach bar top steps to bottom on steps and so then all non residents will therefore know where they are allowed to go. If anyone would like to see rooms we know they can contact the owner on line or get the contact details via the website and arrange a viewing. Phew took a lot of blogs but have we now got there? Or think I have.......

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 01:23:13 AM »
Lesley,

Quality.  You got it!  Do you have any contact details,  ;).

YANNIS26

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »
So do we say then in summary, all will be happy if the owner moves the sign from the beach bar top steps to bottom on steps and so then all non residents will therefore know where they are allowed to go. If anyone would like to see rooms we know they can contact the owner on line or get the contact details via the website and arrange a viewing. Phew took a lot of blogs but have we now got there? Or think I have.......
Thanks Lesley
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 02:15:58 AM »
Not quite, frankly. I didn't buy a drink or lunch at the Mango Bar for two weeks after the bar staff turned from cheery to arresting officer in a couple of milliseconds. It's patronising and slightly obnoxious to take the Mythos and omelette money from the grockles on the beach and then treat them like second-class citizens when they attempt to go to what to all appearances is the upper deck of the bar. It creates an atmosphere of pretentiousness and I suppose that's what "Boutique" hotels are. Quite one is doing in SS escapes me!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »
Rod, not being saucy but think you do you mean for the Delfino????? If so will put on next post.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
Oh dear Jimbo seems like you really did have a hard time, but if that sign had have been in place would that have helped? Would you have delved into the top decks!!!! Just trying to nip this in the bud, so to speak. And yes think a boutique hotel is good, I believe in all resorts all clientele should be catered for. We don't really have an AI hotel as such in Ag Stef which other resorts on island have, good/bad who knows???, that's down to the general public demands/requests and the feedback on such sites as this.......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:45 AM »
No, Lesley, I did not have a hard time. I went to the Havana bar, had an ice-cold frosty glass and a bottle of Mythos, read a bit, ate a club sandwich, and pondered why however an unpretentious place you go to there are always those who crave a little bit of pathetic superiority. 

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »
Yep Havana is a good place too.  Love the music and general feel there both during the days and evenings, nice and chilled.

Offline stockjockey

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Jimbo, so what you are saying is that it's ok for people to insult others over the internet when they were politely advised of the hotel rules.  Like I keep saying, I know the receptionist and have heard her version of events and am inclined to believe that the lady that made the insulting comments was disgruntled, as she wasn't able to freely wander around the hotel.  English is not the mother tongue of many of the Delfino's employees, so perhaps they do come across as being rude.  It's a 4 star hotel, and is full from the day it opens until the day it closes, so obviously the owner is doing something right.  I don't see how the hotel is being pretentious.  If you stayed in a 4 star hotel in Britain or any other country, you would expect 4 star service, which is exactly what the hotel is providing as there is obviously a demand for it.  Demand for higher spec apartments and hotels is on the increase in San Stefanos, that's why we now have a 4 star hotel in San Stefanos.  The owner spotted a gap in the market and filled that gap.  

At the rate i'm going writing posts on this subject, i'll soon be a 'San Stef Expert/Hero' even though I live here lol

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
stockjockey - We're going round in circles here. I've looked at the original post again, and agree that "afroditi" (pretty hard to live up to that name!) was ill-advised to tell people not to book at DB. However, her report matches in terms of DB's PR my experience and also that of SS veteran Tony Cox, reported in this thread, and others. I'm sure DB is a wonderful place to stay. I don't think "afroditi"'s report was insulting. It's just that when you try to make a little oasis of luxury in a predominantly working-class ethos like SS there will be issues. These have to be dealt with tactfully, and perhaps, as a local, you might gently advise on this.

Personally, a hut with access to a donkey is what I regard as the best Greek experience! 

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »
I have not tried to have a look around the DB and to be honest we prefer the Havanah to the Mango, I cannot comment on the attitude of people who manage the DB but if what people say is right, then that is not much different from other top hotels. We experienced the same problem in Crete and Cyprus so it is not uncommon. Before we cast critisism, maybe we should take a step back and look what reception we would get if we tried to gain entry in top class hotels in our own country. Imagine if we walked in to a hotel in London armed with towel and flip flops with a the intention of using the pool. I think we have been spoiled by the hospitality we receive in SS, so I would not lose much sleep over the lack of hospitality shown towards us in  the DB.

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »
Hi

Sorry but I tought i'd add my feelings to this subject!!

We often go to the Mango Bar and have been treated wonderfully by all of the staff - so I don't have a bad word to say, although we have not tried to enter the hotel complex!!

Getting beck to negative/positive postings. SS is not Utopia and I think it is wrong if all we get is praise of the resort. Nowhere in the world is wonderful, and perfect. I think you should be able to post a negative comment if that's how you feel, however, I do not think you should become personal nor 'nasty', just because you have had a bad experience.

I have posted my true views of eateries/accommodation (of which some people might think as negative), but I have also tried to reason as to why we possibly had a bad meal/stay. I have never stated anything other than our experience, but I know that I have offended people because some think of these places as nothing less than wonderful and beyond any critcism.

Everyone is different, and we all like different things but we should not be blinkered about SS. I love it for what it is. Some things are good, some not so, but we should be able to vent our feelings without causing offence and give a true (personal) view as to what SS is all about.

Offline deerocker

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
Well written Gillywoo and agreed with everything you said...I once on here mentioned that I had a bad meal at a certain place in S.S.My god I was jumped on from a great height by all the usual suspects in those days..Some were most rude to me and tried to be very superior in their put downs of me. I always went back with humour but thats how it was a while ago. I was told this is how I would be treated by many chums in S.S and they weren't wrong....Anyway that was a while ago and I ended up getting my own back in the end....All forgiven now and we move on..This site has certainly got better over the last 2 years and is a credit to everyone who uses it.

"It's not the size of the ship; it's the size of the waves." - Little Richard

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
Hi everyone!
San Stefanos is not perfect or utopia - some things irritate - people locally fall out with each other - like life anywhere! - - - but by heck I love the place!!

I read right through all of this again tonight, being individuals, we will never all agree on everything, we are entitled to our own diverse opinions as well.
Everyone - and I mean everyone - has made very good  - if opposing points - so can we now agree to disagree, and move on?
I hope now we can lay this subject to rest before it gets too heated - after all this is a great forum and we don't want to fall out with each other,
we don't need to agree with everything  - and the subject is getting a touch stale now -
of course if you disagree - - - - - - - - - -
I await the next post!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
It's good to see a bit of balance and rationality. I agree with Tony - enough has been said. But we do need defend our right to say it.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni