Author Topic: Holiday Price-watch  (Read 25140 times)

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Price-watch
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
What Yannis above says is so true!!
The bottom line is what you pay - my philosophy for more years than I care to admit now!!
The way I see it is  - - - - it's a game - I am only interested in the bottom line price, what you pay for any product.
The rest is total Bull****!!

Supermarket BOGOF's - what is the point of a free one - if it's fresh food and you have to chuck it as you can't eat two!!!!

But if you want to go with companies like Thompsons - you have no choice at times - but to play this silly discount game!
The prices go up and down like a yo-yo, different airports etc. different deals.
When you book the price you see is then loaded again - extras!! (I hate this! Just want the price in the first place!).
RobinAire/sleazyjet are two big culprits on the mark-up game as well!!
But no point in getting annoyed - it's a game - understand that and play it well - you can still get a bargain - but it is also a gamble!
Good hunting folks - may the force be with you!

Too true Tony. But i'm happy with my Ejet flights at £150 each from my local airport; i mean they're flying for nearly 4 hours to an island that wasn't accessible from BTL on a flight only before. Private apartment booking gives us a cost of £650. That's v.reasonable to me.

I feel Thomson's won't get anyway near that, even with discounts.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »
That's exactly what we did this year in July - - and maybe next year - still looking at the options!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

YANNIS26

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 05:39:16 PM »
I have just read a review on trip advisor complaining about what a guest got for is money at the Romanza.
No tv in room
No tea making facilities
Charges for a/c
Basic breakfast extra charge for cooked breakfast.
This is the first time i have ever known Mike the owner of the Romanza reply to a review.In his reply surprise,surprise he laid the fault for this situation squarely on the shoulders of the tour operator.
He was very sorry the guest was not satisfied but as he was only paid 8 euros/day in October he was doing his best.
This equates to approx 50 pound a week.He does not say what he gets in June but i cannot see it being a lot more.This must make the 570 pounds /head in June from Leeds for 14 nights a very expensive plane ride.
As i have already booked for 2010 i will definately be looking at a direct booking for 2011.
 Yannis26
PS
To put TO flight charges in context i am flying Manchester to Dubai with Qatar Airways on Friday. cost 232 pounds return.For this cost i get the following.
1 A flight with one of the handful of 5 star airlines in the world.A distance greater than twice that  to Corfu.
2 Meal  with wine.Brandy and coffee to follow.
3 A Light snack later in the flight.
4 Unlimited drinks both alcohol or non- alcohol.
5 Back seat personal screen showing at a large collection of recent release movies plus games and many other topics.
6 Reserved seating.Free headsets.Socks and toiletries.
I dread to think what type of charges Thomson Air could dream up for these extras.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:03:14 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
Hmmm Let me see;
Thompsons Corfu Flight - the worlds only 6 star service.
Wonderful seats in a cramped plane, with a hard plastic back to them, to give your knees a 'real' & free massage for the entire flight.
Reserved seating at a 6 star price, but do not expect to be able to reserve an Isle and centre seat - window and centre only!
No distraction from a personal screen, no much better, a 12" TV - dropped down from the ceiling - 10 metres away!
Special charges for your cases and then the extra allowance charges.
A meal by ''Aldo Silly'', Cuisine that rivals the best restaurant in the world! (Yuk) - probably? - oh yes - at a charge! NO FREE DRINK!
Transfer - a choice of the coach about 2 hours, or your own taxi, just like Virgin Upper class, for around £110 extra.
Don't forget the Holiday insurance, special Thompsons prices for that great "Jack-up" insurance policy!
And finally if you didn't un-tick it, your charitable contibution to the planet for eco-reasons!! (How dare you fly. com!!)

What more could you ask for?

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
Yannis, your bit about the price Romanza is paid by Thomsons. We found this is true of all those hotels/apts in SS that market thru' Thomsons/Portland. They also get paid by thomsons all the way through the season for empty rooms. Having talked to another SS hotel owner last June, this is their 'security'. Well, that's how they feel anyway. It's a 'given' i'm afraid.

Agreed a complete rip-off, but i remain a little perplexed by the hotel owners who obviously have a very loyal customer base, but continue to use the tour operators. Why not go over to private bookings? Plenty of flights to Corfu thru' the season, incl. Ejet. I suppose for them it's very big leap of faith.

But what they get paid by Thomsons is a rip-off. I would urge all of us on here to ensure we give these hotels at least some of our financial support during our SS stays, as this is where they make their money from food and drink and they all seem like great people. Cheers

don

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
Bristle Boy , Yannis & Tony ............... I couldn't agree more.

YANNIS26

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Hi Bristle Boy
I agree with everything you say .
The Romanza has a very loyal clientle.The vast majority of weeks all rooms are occupied.
What i see as the major obstacle to going it alone is the ability of the hoteliers to set their prices to include flights and transfers and accommodation and at least match the tour operator.The holidaymaker is the same as any consumer and likes a bargain.If the price is not right the vast majority will stick with the tour operators. Its a shame but thats human nature.
Yannis26

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »
Here's my simple comparison:

14 nights for 2 at Romanza, incl. flights with Thomson - say, £1000.

Ejet flights for 2 = £350 for 2, plus 14 nights at Romanza, assume they charge £30/night/room = £420. Therefore total £770 + £80 taxi return = £850.

The couple save money. Romanza gets £30/night/room all to themselves (compared to £8/night thru' Thomsons). With loyal client base should fill rooms from may to sept. Let's call it 20 weeks. £4200 for Romanza with private bookings. With thomson they only receive £1120. No brainer in my book. ;D

YANNIS26

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
Here's my simple comparison:

14 nights for 2 at Romanza, incl. flights with Thomson - say, £1000.

Ejet flights for 2 = £350 for 2, plus 14 nights at Romanza, assume they charge £30/night/room = £420. Therefore total £770 + £80 taxi return = £850.

The couple save money. Romanza gets £30/night/room all to themselves (compared to £8/night thru' Thomsons). With loyal client base should fill rooms from may to sept. Let's call it 20 weeks. £4200 for Romanza with private bookings. With thomson they only receive £1120. No brainer in my book. ;D
Hi Bristle Boy
I cant argue with that logic.The only problem in my case is Ejet do not fly from my area.I suppose Jet2 out of Leeds could be a viable alternative.As i have already booked for 2010 i intend to give it a go in 2011.
.Yannis26
The ideas growing on me i have just checked jet2 out of Leeds . Cost for 2 people including 2 hold bags 29th june -13th july2010   275 pounds.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:34:18 PM by YANNIS26 »

YANNIS26

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »
I have done further checking on flights from Leeds to Corfu next July with Jet2.After fighting my way through all the extra charges i have found a number of combinations coming in at under 300 pounds for 2.
Yannis26

Offline kemo

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi Yannis26 I use jet2 out of Leeds/Bradford and I have found in the past that if you book your journey as 2 single flights i.e. Leeds to Corfu then book Corfu to Leeds it works out cheaper. I booked flights to Alicante this way and found it cheaper.I have not looked at flights to Corfu yet but I may consider using Jet2 as they are starting to fly to Corfu next year.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
Check out my other posting for today only - Thompsons Sale - Good Prices!!
I may book tonight - only £75 deposit!
Been hanging on for this - I knew it would come - Thompsons are predictable
I am expecting more sales over Xmas or New Year!! (according to a good source)!

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »

Just checked Portland and Thomsons, and to be fair Tony i didn't notice that much difference in price from a few weeks ago. Checked on some June departure dates and early July. The likes of Thomas Bay, Athina, Teresas, Little Prince and Romanza still around £1100-£1300/couple for a 14 night stay. Olga, Voula cheapest at around £700/couple, then Barras, stamatis and Tsaros at around £800-£900/couple.
Maybe later in July is cheaper. Cheers
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:35:45 PM by Bristle Boy »

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

DADDIES source? LOL
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »
Who's your Daddy you mean!! LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni