Author Topic: Recipe's for Stammna, Sofrito, Kleftiko  (Read 55095 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Recipe's for Stammna, Sofrito, Kleftiko
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »
Someone asked about recipe's for some Greek dishes - I have successfully cooked all the below!

Sofrito (Corfu version)
Recipe by Yiannis (his mothers dish), he used to work the bar in the Athina and then did Beach beds for a season.

INGREDIENTS

1kg boneless beef fillets (leg part preferred)
1 onion, finely cut
2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped or mashed
1 glass of white wine
Rosemary - Marjoram - 2 bunches of parsley - Salt - Pepper
Flour for coating the fillets
olive oil for frying

METHOD
Add half garlic to olive oil in a saucepan
Coat the fillets with flour and fry slightly on both sides.
Put in an oven dish & add sauté onion.
Add rosemary, marjoram, and small glass white wine, tea spoon Wine Vinegar plus salt and pepper.
Cut the stems of both the parsley bunches, tie them and add them in the saucepan.
Add water and just cover the meat, cook in the oven until meat is soft, best to slow cook, but can be done at 180c.
(* or leave in pan as above and simmer until the sauce thickens and meat is tender).
Remove parsley stems from the saucepan,
serve meat in a platter and pour the sauce over them.
Cut the parsley leaves finely and dredge them over the fillets.
Serve fillets with mashed potato or rice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stamna
Receipe by Sofi Lazarides Konstantinides

Measure Ingredients beforehand.
½ cup Pure olive oil
1  Leg of baby lamb (5-6 lbs) boned and cut into 6 large chunks
1  Lemon; juiced
2 larges Ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded & diced plus Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
5 ounces Kefalotiri or feta cheese cut into 6 slices
1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
¾ cup Dry white wine
½ cup Hot water

Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large, heavy skillet.
Saute the lamb chunks until they are evenly browned.
Transfer them to a shallow pottery baking dish large enough to hold all the meat in 1 layer.
Sprinkle with lemon juice, spread the diced tomatoes on top, and season with salt and pepper.
Place one slice of cheese on each piece of lamb. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the flour. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes, until the mixture is smooth and lightly colored. Turn the heat to low and add the wine and hot water. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens slightly. Pour the sauce over the lamb. Place the cover on the pottery dish and carefully wrap the whole dish in aluminum foil to seal in the moisture. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the foil and serve immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lamb Kleftico
Recipe by Yiannis (his mothers dish), he used to work the bar in the Athina and then did Beach beds for a season.
Preheat the oven to 220c.
Ingredients:
•2kg of leg of lamb
•10 cloves of garlic, peeled
•6 ounces of cheese (kefalotyri, pecorino) cut in cubes
•1 tablespoon of olive oil
•4 pounds of roasting or baking potatoes, peeled, cut in half or quarters
•3 medium carrots, cut in chunks
•sea salt
•freshly ground black pepper
•foil
•water

Rub the lamb with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
With a sharp knife, pierce the lamb and insert a clove of garlic into each opening.
Drizzle the potatoes and carrots with any remaining oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.
serves 4 portions
Cut meat into 4 serving size portions and wrap each portion, oil sheets of foil, and lay the lamb in the center,
together with the portion of potatoes and carrots.
Close / crimp the edges of the foil and secure well, tucking the sides underneath to make a packet.

Fill a roasting pan 1/3 full of water, add the packets, Set side by side in roasting pan to cook.
Cook for 2 hours 30 minutes, adding more water to the pan as needed to keep from getting dry.

When done, lift all the entire packets onto a serving platter, and cut open at the table to serve, one packet to each plate.
You can also serve with rice or extra roast potatoes & vegetables on the plate if you wish!

Try and enjoy!!
Bon Appetite' Tony

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

Re: Recipe's for Stammna, Sofrito, Kleftiko
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »
Now I'm hungry  and all I've got is a bowl of Shreddies!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »
Just use your vivid imagination lol!!!!!!!!!!
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »
I just put in "Greek Sofrito" into Google www.greek-recipe.com, because I thought Sofrito used veal traditionally .This is the sofrito recipe from Greek-recipe.com

INGREDIENTS

1kg boneless beef fillets (leg part preferred) 1 onion, finely cut 2 garlic cloves, mashed 1 glass of white wine Rosemary Marjoram 2 bunches of parsley Salt Pepper Flour for coating the fillets olive oil for frying

METHOD
Coat the fillets with flour and fry slightly on both sides. Add olive oil in a saucepan and sauté onion. Add rosemary, marjoram, garlic and white wine. Cut the stems of both the parsley bunches, tie them and add them in the saucepan. Add meat fillets and simmer until the sauce thickens and meat is tender. Remove parsley stems from the saucepan, serve meat in a platter and pour the sauce over them. Cut the parsley leaves finely and dredge them over the fillets. Serve fillets with mashed potato or rice.

thats funny, it's identical to yours Tony LOL ;) ;D Maybe she has a PC eh  ;) ....I'll get my coat
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:19:36 AM by Zimmer »

zoe

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
thanks tony will be having a go at the stamna
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:41:43 PM by zoe »

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
thanks tony will be having a go at the stamna

Alternatively you could always try Greek-Recipe.com [ although Video Jug is better ] snigger ;D ;)

Bananas are good for Stamina LOL

don

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
INGREDIENTS

1kg boneless beef fillets (leg part preferred) 1 onion, finely cut 2 garlic cloves, mashed 1 glass of white wine Rosemary Marjoram 2 bunches of parsley Salt Pepper Flour for coating the fillets olive oil for frying

METHOD
Coat the fillets with flour and fry slightly on both sides. Add olive oil in a saucepan and sauté onion. Add rosemary, marjoram, garlic and white wine. Cut the stems of both the parsley bunches, tie them and add them in the saucepan. Add meat fillets and simmer until the sauce thickens and meat is tender. Remove parsley stems from the saucepan, serve meat in a platter and pour the sauce over them. Cut the parsley leaves finely and dredge them over the fillets. Serve fillets with mashed potato or rice.

Now that's weird my cook book says the same! Coincidence or just lost in the Welsh Triangle!
Or do the Greeks have recipes too. Over to Scullery And Mouldering!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
hey I was right! Sofrito was traditionally a  Veal dish

this is from Crfiot recipes

Sofrito: This is a veal filet, simmered with garlic, parsley sticks and marjoram. It is garnished with roast potatoes or rice. Sofrito is considered probably the most famous Corfiot dish.

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
INGREDIENTS

METHOD

Now that's weird my cook book says the same! Coincidence or just lost in the Welsh Triangle!
Or do the Greeks have recipes too. Over to Scullery And Mouldering!

""Sofrito (Corfu version)

2Sofrito (Corfu version)
Recipe by Yiannis (his mothers dish), he used to work the bar in the Athina and then did Beach beds for a season."

Yeah LOL looks like Tony's little old Greek lady reads the same  Greek-recipe.com as us Don , what a little fibber eh, giving completely the wrong impression when it was cut and pasted , tut tut Tony, LOL , no it's funny actually, I wonder if the other two also came from the same little lady? hey! maybe she designed the web site LOL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:53:57 PM by Zimmer »

don

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
My recipe book was a hand written gift from a Greek lady in Tingaki Kos. I feel cheated now!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »
Zimmer - as usual you twisted the truth for a cheap shot! Great holiday spirit!
 - - - perhaps you work for the Government spin dept!.
That little cheap shot doesn't bother me though as I posted it to help people who were looking for a recipe!

I didn't have the receipe for Stamna so I got it from the web and acknowledged the name of the Author who did it.
Receipe by Sofi Lazarides Konstantinides -
that is not Yiannis Mum and I did not say it was.
If you want the exact site - I will put the link on. - - Check it out!!
You just failed to mention that name above was on the recipe though.
The other two I got from Yiannis on the beach as it says! - Handwritten on a scrap of paper.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »
Thanks Tony for all your hard work putting these recipes on. Much appreciated and I would think that Strogs who origianaly wanted a recipe will appreciate them as well. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:51 AM »
Thanks Jules,
I typed that in (apart from the Stamna one), and had I known they were the standard Greek recipe's -
I could have saved myself time with cut and paste as well.
The difference is that I would have said so. It was only put on to help the person who wanted a recipe.

We asked Yiannis on the beach a couple of years back and he wrote it down for us and gave it to Linda the following day.
Maybe he did copy it from an English translation book or from the web, but that was what he passed to us,
and you know what some of the locals are like!!
It may be that their written English is not so strong, but he did it the best way he knew how so I won't criticise him.

Yiannis told me it was his Mum's recipe, I just took it as a genuine thing as it was offered in that spirit.
I don't really care if I was "had", it's the recipe that counts!
Base line is - its a well worn recipe - well known all over the world, (obviously in many cook books). and I gave out in good faith.
So thanks for all the "nicer" leg-pulls - it will teach me to do a ,little bit of research first in future!
Funny - how no one else had bothered to answer the request, put in a while back now, you lot must have known what would happen!

Funny thing though, I can see after this reply string, why Zimmer say's he will never go back to San Stefanos!
Too many "friends" there!! LOL!! Never mind, just carry on "sniggering" - we're all good at something!!
PS. you need a spell checker as well my "friend" !! LOL

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
Wriggle wriggle LOL

Oh lighten up mun ;D I'm not laughing at you , just the comical nature of the thing, I never mentioned the P word,it's funny not a put down - like your banter - you couldve just said "recipe found at www.Greek-recipe.com"....I just had a vision of the this little old Greek lady handing out her olde worlde recipes to tourists,from her PC,"been in the family since plato, only 10 euro's"

just my sense of humour thats all ,Monty Pyhtonish;D ...I'll get my coat ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:11:06 AM by Zimmer »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 11:45:56 PM »
Wriggle wriggle LOL
just my sense of humour thats all ,Monty Pyhtonish;D ...I'll get my coat ;)
Problem is! - -  a lot of us struggle to understand it at times - it seems to get a bit personal, so is it all of us here - - or your strange humour?
Not always put the best way maybe!
Anyway, It's gonna get cold so do up the coat & close the door!! LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni