Author Topic: Back home again  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Back home again
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
Well we're back after two great weeks from 8-22 May, staying at the Little Prince.

Weather was great but overcast on the middle weekend(still v.hot though) but we had the car then and it was not a problem.

Ate mostly in the Little Prince this year but did visit the Beachcomber Bistro and Ozzy Oils(twice each) Zest for life juice bar, just before the beach is a great place for a sandwich and a cake for lunch.

The Beachcomber food was excellent, with great views and decor. A must visit for us now. Ozzy Oils also superb with a very friendly welcome from Kerry. Have the Mangaroo starter, strips of Kangaroo in a Mango sauce. We were at their first BBQ night, great value and the village sausage is one of the best sausages I've ever tasted. We didn't try the new Mythica restaurant just up the Arillas road but the menu looked good and a few people said the food was excellent.

Car hired for four days from San Stefanos car rental(village centre) Had a Peugeot 107 with aircon for 120 euros, everything included. Will probably be slightly dearer now. People we spoke to had hired fron Arillas car hire, also good rates and service. We went to a few of the hill villages this year. Avliotes is well worth a stop and a wander about and Afionas is in superb setting and is a very pretty spot. Drove down to the south of the island as far as Lefkimmi this year. Chlomos village is worth a detour for great views and on the way back, we went to Pelekas and up to the Kaiser's throne. A truly fantastic view across virtually all of the island and across to Albania. You can take the car right up.

Our only actual excursion was booked with Noula at San Stefanos Travel and was a sail to Ericousa island. We should have left from San Stef harbour but this is quite badly silted up at the moment as most of Arillas beach is in there following the bad winter storms!! We therefore had a quick coach transfer to Sidari. the sail takes around 50 mins from Sidari and the island is lovely. with some nice walks and a beautiful sandy beach. There were two tavernas open for something to eat and drink and you get around four hours on the island. Recommended for a visit.

Took the local Green bus to Corfu Town a couple of times. Takes around 90 minutes and is a nice run. 3 euros 70 pp each way this year. The Bus Station in the town is more than a little chaotic on the return journey :).

Mythos draught was in short supply as it only comes in larger kegs and a lot of places were only selling Amstel so early in the season. The local Royal Ionian lager is a decent substitute and was on draught at Bar 38 when we were there.

Local prices in the village were about the same as two years ago, main corses from around 6 euros 50(with a glass of wine if on special) You could get two or three course set menus from 7 or 8 euros. Large draught beer 2.50. Fresh white bread from the bakery, 80 cents a loaf.

I think that's about it. Flights were both on time but our transfer to the airpot was thirty minutes late and had been to Sidari before. I think a coach may have been missing. Didn't affect us too much but the Sidari folk weren't too happy. Corfu airport as chaotic as two years ago. The only really bad bit of our hol.

For those of you going after June, the ban on smoking in Tavernas will have started.

Anyway, enjoy when you do go ;D

Offline fillwr300

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Back home again
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
Was your late bus the 1 that also took a wrong turning on way to airport and we had a 10 minute reverse up the side of a mountain?

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes that was definitely us. An interesting trip.

Offline fillwr300

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
To bloody right it was me and my gf were sat at the back wondering what was going on ha ha nevermind we got there in the end ,Was fun listening to everyone moaning and the guy at the front having to get off to be sick .The airport was a lot better than zante and crete to be honest i was expecting it to be a lot worse.

Offline birtman

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »
hi gordonic, glad you had a great time.!! can you tell me what entertainment was going on while you were out there please.

cheers.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »
Great report Gordon. Glad you had such a good time. The airport thing isn't that bad really as without it where would we all go lol!!! :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:29:11 AM »
Yet another great report - this is what we want from you folk - well done Gordon!!
I promise to do a similar one for July!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:40:18 AM by tonyco1 »
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
Yet another great report - this is what we want from tyou folk - well done Gordon!!

TYPO alert TYPO alert........... The Jules virus is catching.......Beware of Spell Flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Yet another great report - this is what we want from tyou folk - well done Gordon!!

TYPO alert TYPO alert........... The Jules virus is catching.......Beware of Spell Flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for alerting us all Don. lol!!
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »

This is all your fault Jules - "Spell flu" - LOL - Very good Don!!

don

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:45:19 PM »

Just a FLUKE !!!!!!!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »

Just a FLUKE !!!!!!!!!
Jules would have missed that on her own!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni