Author Topic: Driving  (Read 17626 times)

LILOLIL

Driving
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:09:13 PM »
I am interested in peoples experiences of driving in Corfu.Car, Quad Bike.What are your experiences?
How do you find Driving.Highway code is there any? I only ever drove once in Spain about 20 years ago.Please share your experiences Good or bad or maybe even funny. Thankyou. :)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »
Never hired a car but always hire quad bikes. Great as long as you are very sensible and also wear a crash helmet. We don't normally go that far but last year we went right over to the other side of the island with many stops along the way to admire views and so forth. We always seem to get lost somehow though wich adds to the fun but always are ok for finding our way back. I wouldn't want to be out on one in the dark though. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »
As a confirmed pedestrian all I can suggest is that you totally forget the Highway Code and nobody will believe you're not a local or English!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
I am interested in peoples experiences of driving in Corfu.Car, Quad Bike.What are your experiences?
How do you find Driving.Highway code is there any? I only ever drove once in Spain about 20 years ago.Please share your experiences Good or bad or maybe even funny. Thankyou. :)
I love driving in Corfu - I don't even need a road map for most of the usual journeys.
When you use a map though, - plan the route and drive village to village and you won't get lost!
It's not bad to drive - go slowly round corners on quad bikes though and they are fine.
Bike or Car - as long as you get used to the roads, and adjust your driving style a little, it's fine.
Let any local in a hurry pass when you can, know the next village and look out for the sign's.

Corfu Town can be heavy traffic, like any busy town, but remember you are driving on the right -
it can be confusing until you settle in. Very easy driving on the dual carriageways - no problem.
Watch out for hand held speed traps on these roads approaching Corfu Town.

The worst bit can be a lorry or bus bearing down towards you and a sheer drop on your right,
on narrow mountain roads. Just stay calm and pull over and stop if not sure.
It's quite normal for locals to "toot" as they overtake.

Overall - if new to corfu driving, be extra careful until you are used to a r/hand drive car and the conditions.
Once you have adapted drive a little like the locals and you will be fine.
Be prepared to reverse in certain situations as well, Avliotes is a classic for using your reversing skills!!
Don't worry - you will be fine and enjoy the experience.
Tony

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
Hired a car when over two years ago and found the driving fine. A lot of the roads can be challenging, i.e steep with lots of hairpins but once you get used it you'll be fine. As Tonyco1 says be prepared for a bit of reversing when you encounter buses and trucks as they are bigger than you.

Found Corfu Town ok to drive in but coming from the nightmare city of Edinburgh(in driving terms)  >:( anything should be easy! There's quite a bit of parking up by the Old Fortress, close to the Liston and offering easy access to the narrow streets of the old town. Quite easy to find too.

Get a good map as road signage can be haphazard, particularly if driving away from San Stef. Coming out of Corfu signs were much more obvious. Also watch out for the road suddenly deteriorating with no warning and there are a lot of large potholes(just like Edinburgh too). Generally you are not covered for any tyre or underside damage. You're also likely to encounter donkeys and other animals in the middle of the road in the hill villages. And yes, watch out for speed traps.

Driving on the island is on the whole a great experience and is undoubtedly the best way to see and enjoy the spectacular views. Enjoy!  :)

zoe

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
gordonc sounds just like somerset ;D

don

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »

And Stoke !!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »

And Stoke !!
And Manchester and etc etc etc lol!!! :D
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline SueLa

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 02:22:32 AM »
 John does all the driving on holiday and he also hired a Quad bike. I got the navigating job, but in the end just looked at the map and worked from village to village. I think Tony said it all. Remember if you get lost thats all part of the fun.

[/url]
Sue & John
A smile is a frown turned upside down

Offline Colin

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
I'll be hiring a Jeep this year probably for 3 days, can you recommend a Car hire company in San Stef? In Arillas 2 years ago I used Arillas Car Hire which was OK, Is it owned/run by Tassos? I've seen his name mentioned numerous times on this forum, do they have an Office in SS?
thanks
Colin  8)

zoe

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
have emailed the car hire in san stafanos 3 times and had no reply so we emailed tassos and now have car for 5 days for 125 euros delivered to thomas bay hotel

Offline deemac

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 02:00:29 AM »
I also tried twice to contact the car hire in san stef for quote, but got no reply. I have now booked with Value Plus for the fortnight at €250 (in May). They must have lost a few hires this way.
deemac

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 04:27:06 AM »
I'll be hiring a Jeep this year probably for 3 days, can you recommend a Car hire company in San Stef? In Arillas 2 years ago I used Arillas Car Hire which was OK, Is it owned/run by Tassos? I've seen his name mentioned numerous times on this forum, do they have an Office in SS?
thanks
Colin  8)
I have used all the different companies in SS, including Dino's who loves a deal but is behind on email contact.
We usually get cars from the one opposite the Condor, always good and reliable - (also from Noula), but they are much the same!
We won't get jeeps any more - hard ride, you get too dirty, and the sun beats down on the back of your neck,
but horses for courses - it's what you enjoy that counts!

don

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
thanks
Colin  8)
I have used all the different companies in SS, including Dino's who loves a deal but is behind on email contact.
We usually get cars from the one opposite the Condor, always good and reliable - (also from Noula), but they are much the same!
We won't get jeeps any more - hard ride, you get too dirty, and the sun beats down on the back of your neck,

Wow!!!! Cars that are fuelled by hay? LOL

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 02:50:58 AM »
thanks
Colin  8)

Wow!!!! Cars that are fuelled by hay? LOL
Wow - why are you not on Britains got talent!! LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni