Author Topic: Flights actually arriving  (Read 29666 times)

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Flights actually arriving
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »
We been travelling with TUI or Jet2 to Corfu for 12 years. Both have been excellent. I don't really buy the "DIY and the local economy" argument; don't the owners who have contracted to TUI or Jet2 have any income?
We have done both, basically worked out which was the cheapest option for us, particularly when there were four of us. Have stayed at Romanza both with TUI and independent as a result of suggestion from the owners to book direct with them. I suppose the owners using operators have the benefit of confirmed stays at the quieter times of the season which guarantees an income and guests using their bar and restaurant. Do the operators pay the owners for the rooms for the year and then it’s down to them to fill it?

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »

Do the operators pay the owners for the rooms for the year and then it’s down to them to fill it?

Pre-Covid I believe they did yes. They’d pay the price per night for the duration of the season whether the rooms were filled or not. I’d imagine that security is the reason a lot of owners stick with the tour operators.

Offline Evertonendo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
Independent isn’t convenient for everyone and that’s fine of course.

Looking at it purely financially, we are over in a couple of weeks for 20 nights and are paying €70/night for a family room direct to the owners. If I were to book with TUI, which I could, the owners would see €12/night of that money. Bit of a difference in their pockets.
Hi D@G
20 nights arent you the lucky one, we are hoping to do 3 weeks next year, I just hope all this uncertaintitynre flights and tests is behind us by the, however i feel lucky to be going at all this year, just hoping TUI dont cancel our flight.
What date do you go ?

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
Hi D@G
20 nights arent you the lucky one, we are hoping to do 3 weeks next year, I just hope all this uncertaintitynre flights and tests is behind us by the, however i feel lucky to be going at all this year, just hoping TUI dont cancel our flight.
What date do you go ?

Yes very lucky, any kind of holiday this year will be a blessing as I know many people won’t be able to get away for one reason or another.

We’ve done 3 weeks a few times now and it still isn’t long enough.

We arrive 3rd August all being well.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2021, 04:05:32 PM »
How does that benefit the apartment owners?

On topic. You moaned about off-topic remarks. Can we keep this amicable for everybody's sake? You're not actually required to flame every post I make.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
On topic. You moaned about off-topic remarks. Can we keep this amicable for everybody's sake? You're not actually required to flame every post I make.

I think you may be getting confused.

You said “I don't really buy the "DIY and the local economy" argument and then qualified this by saying “there is some possibility of being refunded if flights don’t go ahead”.

The latter is obviously a benefit for the consumer but not the locals or the local economy, which was what the topic was.

Offline Evertonendo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2021, 06:12:36 PM »
Yes very lucky, any kind of holiday this year will be a blessing as I know many people won’t be able to get away for one reason or another.

We’ve done 3 weeks a few times now and it still isn’t long enough.

We arrive 3rd August all being well.
Hopefully we’ll see you there  :D

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2021, 07:18:25 PM »
Many years back I am talking mid 80' and 90's the tour operators and there were many back then had what is known as Guaranteed contracts so basically they (the owners) received a very small per bed income for the whole season so really guaranteed money. Empty or full. This was paid monthly so all owners had money to pay staff, suppliers, such as laundy, chemicals for pool, cleaners etc.
Then around the mid 2000's as a lot of the companies where eaten up by the larger companies contracts changed to what is now known as allotment. i.e the owners got paid a slightly better per bed price but only for the days they have guests.  These payments were made by the tour operators after guests departed so they received their money normally 60 days after the departing guests.
There were a few changes pre Covid when some UK tour operators paid again for a guarantee hotel but then they said the owners could only be exclusive to them, so basically that they had to put their eggs in one basket.   Many suffered when Thomas Cook went bust.....
Now going on from Covid situation, the owners all have allotment contracts so again will only get paid for the guests they have received, and will again receive their payment normally 60 days again after departure of guests.  The difference now is they can also offer guests to book directly and stop sales on the Tour opertors if they have their own rooms booked. however for cash flow being the 2nd Covid season it means that suppliers such as staff, laundry, chemicals for pool will also all have to wait for their money - so you can see the chain forming.
I hope I have explained that as simply as possible.......

I would also add thank you Jimbo for mentioning Corfu Selections - a hobby which has grown even more so since Covvd and offers everyone around the world a chance to visit NW Corfu. I have had so far this Summer guests from UK, Poland, Spain, Holland and Belgium as the market has to open as unfortunetaly if the present situation reemains we can no longer rely on our very welcomed UK visitors. The idea came after leaving Thomas Cook when again the larger operators dropped small friendly units such as the like of Manos had previously, lovely accommodtion but didn't make commercial sense for back then mosty brouchres that needed to be published so why not support our local owners. Hence my website Corfu selections was formed, I also now have one just dedicated to San Stefanos which is San Stefanos Apartments.  The power of the Internet - whom would have known.......

Of course we now have lots of bed bank sites such as Bookings and others.  But I focus on Arillas and Agios Stefanos and know all the owners personally and as I work up at Vicky's many pop by to see me too. 

So as the originall debate Independant V Tour Operator it is down to each person to decide, as we need the major operators however it is great we can also offer now the choice for those with operators to also book directly as well. And other accommodation the big boys don't want can be offered too in this new digital world......
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:33:11 PM by Lesley »

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2021, 08:14:20 PM »
Thank you. Lesley, for your post, it all makes perfect sense. I think we've always felt more secure with package, but seriously looking at independent, especially in San Stef, because we are confident that we would be looked after, if there were a problem. :)

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »
Yes, very informative Lesley, thank you. By the way are you at Vickys most days? Will pop up for a drink one day next week. Brian and Amanda

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:54 PM »
Thank you just hope i tried to explain the travel market and espcially from the UK situation. It is down to what is viable and makes sence to anyone from wherever they fly from and not just UK....... economics and flexibiity and also choice of your favourite places to stay........
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:07:55 AM by Lesley »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2021, 08:32:19 PM »
Yes all welcome over at Vickys' nomally there most days on reception exept Sunday (day off) to around 3-4pm ish depending on our Jet2 arrivals....bar is open 7 days per week though.  Hop 8) 8) 8) 8)e to catch up with anyone popping by.... Happy Holidays
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 08:33:50 PM by Lesley »

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2021, 03:12:46 AM »
TB our first visit to Fedra Mare on Monday and already have next year booked with them so hope we like it. Just the two of us so staying in one of the ground floor studios.

You'll love it there. IMO it's the best place in the village.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2021, 04:08:01 AM »
You'll love it there. IMO it's the best place in the village.
TB, I know the studios are not like the apartments with view etc but we spend very little time in our rooms, are they still ok though?

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
Stayed in both BAJ and the studios are fine. It's a class place and Dimi and Haritini are amazing.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni