Author Topic: Webcam 4/3  (Read 291743 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Webcam 4/3
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »
Great idea Jim. Actually there is a large area of wasteland down that road, that could be turned into car parking :)

It probably belongs to someone and I don't think they'll take too kindly if people start parking their cars there.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 18, 2020, 08:37:30 PM »
Of course it belongs to someone and it's a piece of wasteland, maybe  they could charge a small fee :)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2020, 09:47:42 AM »
Also it is National Holiday fortnight with 15th August being the 3rd most important day in the Greek Othodox church many visitors (with cars) from mainland Greece and also Italians on holiday - I do believe from next week apart from local cars and some hire cars the beach will have less cars as people return back to work.  The end of the beach above where I work never has any cars .......

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 19, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
I prefer that end of the beach, much quieter.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 19, 2020, 12:15:20 PM »
It's very quiet outside Mistral!

geordieborn

« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »
Also it is National Holiday fortnight with 15th August being the 3rd most important day in the Greek Othodox church many visitors (with cars) from mainland Greece and also Italians on holiday - I do believe from next week apart from local cars and some hire cars the beach will have less cars as people return back to work.  The end of the beach above where I work never has any cars .......

Ah of course Ferragosto and the Assumption, quite a busy time....

geordieborn

« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »
It's very quiet outside Mistral!

Mistral? View is a bit limited Jimbo or do you have your own secret cam? It's odd thinking of the place as we went there all the time many years ago, then last year a poor experience (or timing on our part) caused us to not go back. Still it was good to see it was rammed most days and nights, perhaps the guy was having a nap when we disturbed him! It's been rented out by many different people over the years with mixed results in the later years we were there (up to 2006). How long have the current people been there and do they live local? We still occasionally keep in touch with the lovely Pepi and it was superb to be remembered by her mum Helena when we spotted her in the garden when there last July.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Mistral has been great for years. Some locals and some from Sidari. Lovely fresh food. Spiros has taught me some obscure Greek words over the years. We really miss it. It's peaceful, very few people, and if we walk from there across the bridge it's like going to Clacton on a bank holiday.

Made some nice friends on that quiet beach, and done a lot of writing sitting in the shade with a Mythos, a nice view, and the prospect of fried zucchini and meatballs for lunch. Really miss it this year!

geordieborn

« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2020, 07:05:32 PM »
Go on, they will be lots of fun to watch l

Well I did try, and what an age it took to get this far... Unfortunately the quality of the picture grab is really poor. If I can bring myself to it I'll try better software, but suspect it's just poor quality video and I'm no digging out the original tapes (yet). Nafsika May93! I can't really show the grab of the very much younger current owner without his permission (or knowing if he will pay to stop it.... ;D [size=78%])[/size]

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 19, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »

Well I did try, and what an age it took to get this far... Unfortunately the quality of the picture grab is really poor. If I can bring myself to it I'll try better software, but suspect it's just poor quality video and I'm no digging out the original tapes (yet). Nafsika May93! I can't really show the grab of the very much younger current owner without his permission (or knowing if he will pay to stop it.... ;D [size=78%])[/size]

Haha! Ok. I don't think he will mind ;D

geordieborn

« Reply #385 on: August 19, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
Mistral has been great for years. Some locals and some from Sidari. Lovely fresh food. Spiros has taught me some obscure Greek words over the years. We really miss it. It's peaceful, very few people, and if we walk from there across the bridge it's like going to Clacton on a bank holiday.

Made some nice friends on that quiet beach, and done a lot of writing sitting in the shade with a Mythos, a nice view, and the prospect of fried zucchini and meatballs for lunch. Really miss it this year!

Eat your heart out Jimbo as looking over the video of 1993 it was all like that, single row of brollies then on the Clacton side. Mind you I did also spot 2-3 cars down near the Vicky... One was way down trying to squash the nudies I guess...

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 19, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Of course it belongs to someone and it's a piece of wasteland, maybe  they could charge a small fee :)
Over the years I've seen Hotels ,apartments and shops built on what some might consider pieces of wasteland.  When they started building next to Pele and Maria's we wondered what it was going to be and were told it was to be a hotel. There's no room for a hotel there surely we thought , but lo and behold by the following year there was The Little Prince. Likewise Thomas Bay sprang up between September one year and the following June
 Fedra Mare was built on a bit of scrub land where Manthos used to keep his chickens and turkeys.
 Just goes to show one man's bit of wasteland is another man's Real Estate.

No there weren't so many cars years ago , not many of the locals had a car and there weren't the number of tourists that there are now. We used to sometimes rent a car from Dino , anyone remember him?  He used to live opposite Olympia, sadly passed away a few years ago.  His cars were a bit ropey but they got us around and he was the only rental option in the village.

geordieborn

« Reply #387 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »
Sadly it is one of the things that worries me looking at the videos, who is still there! But some of the images make me realise how much the place has changed over the years. I'm sure I've seen other pictures much, much older that Peter has at the Kamimi Bar in the draw behind the bar. This is my last effort showing how little there was on the beach at Jimbo's favourite end... When you actually see the end of the beach where outside of Mantos, Mistral and Waves in 1993/4 it looks awful, partly the seaweed, but also filthy with rubbish. Still there was us sitting next to the fishing boat oblivious of it all (that one I'm not allowed to capture :-[ ).

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
Great pictures Geordie...thank you :)

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2020, 11:58:57 PM »
Yes geordieborn thank you for putting the photos on - really interesting to see :D

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni