Author Topic: Happy memories  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Grounded

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Happy memories
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
There is a saying that you should never go back, i guess meaning that the further back in time an experience, the rosier the tint in the specs.
My wife Lynda and i first visited Ag Stef in, i think, 1986. The first year that Thompson Holidays were here. We stayed in the Panorama apartments at the top of the hill. I think for our first week we were the only two tourists here, at least that is how it felt. There was only a handful of places to eat. The Nafsica, Manthos, and the Waves - though in those days the Waves was exclusively seafood and frequented more by the locals. There was also the Margherita bar (now gone) the Sunset Taverna (now gone) and George's Taverna at the t- junction (also now gone). I think that was it. The people were the most friendly and welcoming they could be to two very inexperienced travellers and that memory has stuck with us more than any other. We visited a few more times over the next 10 years or so and watched the place grow. We now live in New Zealand and this is the first time we have been back in over 20 years.
The place has grown, a lot, and changed, a lot, but the people seem as genuinely warm and friendly now as they did over 30 years ago. Some are the same people we knew over 30 years ago. This is something of a nostalgia trip for us and we are here for 3 weeks. Already it has been worth almost 30 hours in the air.
So glad to be back in Ag Stef.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Happy memories
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
We first visited in 1990,stayed at the Romanza appartment,which is now been extended and is the main reception,restaurant etc..The owners,old mr kostas and Nitza lived on the ground floor became our dearest friends,sadly they have passed away but still have very close contact with the rest of the family..Its suprising what a bottle of whisky and a pen and paper can do to strike up a life long friendship..
we will be back again this year and will be up at Romanza a few time to savour the view and meet friends old and new.

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
There is a saying that you should never go back, i guess meaning that the further back in time an experience, the rosier the tint in the specs.
My wife Lynda and i first visited Ag Stef in, i think, 1986. The first year that Thompson Holidays were here. We stayed in the Panorama apartments at the top of the hill. I think for our first week we were the only two tourists here, at least that is how it felt. There was only a handful of places to eat. The Nafsica, Manthos, and the Waves - though in those days the Waves was exclusively seafood and frequented more by the locals. There was also the Margherita bar (now gone) the Sunset Taverna (now gone) and George's Taverna at the t- junction (also now gone). I think that was it. The people were the most friendly and welcoming they could be to two very inexperienced travellers and that memory has stuck with us more than any other. We visited a few more times over the next 10 years or so and watched the place grow. We now live in New Zealand and this is the first time we have been back in over 20 years.
The place has grown, a lot, and changed, a lot, but the people seem as genuinely warm and friendly now as they did over 30 years ago. Some are the same people we knew over 30 years ago. This is something of a nostalgia trip for us and we are here for 3 weeks. Already it has been worth almost 30 hours in the air.
So glad to be back in Ag Stef.
                                                      The Golden Beach was open for meals too.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:14:12 AM »
Golden beach/Fantasea....lovely food and great host Kostas..

Offline Grounded

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
The name is very familiar, though i cant picture it. Where was it located please?

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
The name is very familiar, though i cant picture it. Where was it located please?
If its the Fantasea, I think I am right in saying it is up past the Nafsika on the harbour road. Enjoy your holiday!

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
Yes it is, just next to the church, and it was one of the few in 1981. Next door was scooter hire, also run by Kostas' father, from the now rather tatty looking little building attached to the right hand side of Golden Beach as was. Great it was to.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Was lovely to meet you both the other day, and very interesting to hear how the village hadn't changed too much over the years. Hope you're having a great time!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni