Author Topic: Rubbish bins  (Read 29602 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Rubbish bins
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 01:25:41 PM »
Yes, me too. As I've said in other posts, I would have thought this was something that could be sorted. We are going out on Friday, I really hope this is not going to be an issue. This is our 12th visit and it seems to get worse each year. :(

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
Happy to report that the pile of rubbish near to Maria's Supermarket was removed last night, must have been in the early hours as it was still there when we walked back to our villa after midnight. Still rubbish at the entry to the abandoned hotel on the main strip, hopefully this will be gone tonight.

That's great news! Many people will be pleased about that.

The backlog will take some time to clear but at least things are getting better and the authorities must have found somewhere to put the rubbish. I heard on a Greek website translated through Google that a new land fill site had been found 'in the mountains' probably an old quarry or something.

Anyway I am really pleased this is getting sorted and just in time for my next visit in July.

Please keep the reports coming as hopefully other piles of trash will be cleared.

Andy

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »
 When we left yesterday Maria was trying to persuade everyone who was going home to take a bag of rubbish with them
 maybe it worked!!
 Seriously it really was getting bad,as the weather got hotter the smell got worse.Left any longer it could have proved to be a potential
 health hazard,It doesn't take much imagination to realise the contents of some of those plastic bags (ref.the Corfu plumbing system)
 As we drove in the taxi to the airport the situation was even worse,it's going to take a while to clear it all up.I hope they manage to get it done before the start of the school holidays.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »
As has already been reported, the huge pile near Peli and Maria's was cleared last night, and I've been told the other huge pile opposite Aspa is going tonight.
The ongoing issue at the landfill site has not yet been resolved.....this has been organised on a local level. The rubbish is being taken away from the village and stored elsewhere until normal service resumes. As we've said, all the businesses have been pulling our hair out about this issue, and have found it accutely embarrassing. I'm not sure who is behind the organising of this, but a BIG BRAVO to whoever it is, and also to the people who are working through the night to remove it!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 01:45:25 AM »
Yes hippopts, it must be a nightmare for the locals and their businesses, they only have a short slot to make their living and this problem is the last thing they need..So a big thank you to whoever  arranged or planned the removal of the rubbish..will gladley shake their hand/s and get the beers in..

Offline eildan

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:44 AM »
We have heard rubbish is being taken to the harbour road,and being covered by sand.my question is why has it taken so long,bravo to whoever is responsible though.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
 Usually the wagons heading towards the harbour end are carrying the seaweed where they cover it with sand..I hear that the rubbish is being taken to the football pitch and dumpt there till problem is resolved..thats on the back road past rose garden to Avliotis..

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »
That wouldn't be a bad place to put it as it's out of the way of most properties, quite high up and should be easy to collect from and then clean up.

Fingers crossed they keep it up.

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
That wouldn't be a bad place to put it as it's out of the way of most properties, quite high up and should be easy to collect from and then clean up.

That made me smile, reminded me of the referendom, everyone is happy as long as the rubbish isn't dumped on your doorstep :)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »
Big thank you to all involved in this :) see you all tomorrow in San stef! 8)

Kernowfox

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Currently spending a couple of weeks in Dassia and rubbish piles here too.

And Jimbo - I think the soup may actually be Waitrose hearty vegetable although agree with a lot of what you say

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
Just travelled from Corfu Town to San Steph and No Rubbish! The authorities have done an amazing job clearing the back log and most bins are nearly empty.

In San Steph all the rubbish piles have gone like they never existed although I did notice several bins have been removed altogether.

Larry spotted on the beach clearing the sea weed as well so all looking good!

Andy

Kernowfox

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Just to continue the theme of reassurance to those visiting in coming weeks....
Travelling around the island the rubbish clear up has progressed at a pace.
Just as well as I have not known such hot weather here st this time of the year

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni