Author Topic: Rubbish bins  (Read 29715 times)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Rubbish bins
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
Hi Jackie, thanks for giving us the view from your side of the fence. We're not just sad and disappointed for ourselves but for you and the other business owners/locals also. Hope it gets sorted soon (preferably before we come out there!) 

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
I thought it was the local residents who have closed it.

Offline stemel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Hi all, we have been here since tuesday and have noticed the areas around the bins getting fuller and fuller, its such a shame, some of the bags have been ripped open by animals and in some places its been spread about. We have seen in some areas where the locals have tried to cover up the rubbish to stop it spreading all over. To be fair though its not stopped us enjoying our selfs and it wont stop us from coming back.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »
 A few people were saying on FBook last night that it looks like it is getting sorted as they were collecting the rubbish in Avliotes

Offline Balkus

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 01:07:24 AM »
From what we was told a few nights ago the landfill was closed on a 15 year contract.
A new site was readied but a housing development close by to the new site had an agreement it wouldn't be used.
Still enjoying our time here lovely food at the waves tonight beef with apricots prunes and carrot delicious

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
I have just been told by one of our Greek neighbours that some bins between here and Avliotes have been emptied this morning. The lorry was full, so has to return, but hopefully this is the start....
We saw the remains of some fires this morning when driving in, so now people have taken it into their own hands to illegally burn it, hopefully the authorities will be getting it sorted out. We are all certainly hoping so!!!

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »
Any update on the Bins front?

With 33c temperatures those piles of rubbish must be getting a bit smelly by now!

Andy

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
I've been following the situation on the Tripadvisor Corfu forum and one resident said yesterday that there was no evidence of any collections around Arillas and Sidari but Kassioppi was clear. Hopefully Jackie will bring us some good news though.

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
I hear rumours of collections, someone even mentioned San Stef. Any word on the street?

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »
Well, it appears (according to a Corfu facebook page) that some bins are being emptied, in Acharavi, Kassiopi, and last night Roda and Corfu Town....not been out of the village other than to and from home in Dafni via Arillas and Kavadaddes, and sadly none have been emptied there or here  :'(

It is a big problem, and we are all finding it not only so sad that this beautiful island is looking so bad, but also acutely embarrassing that visitors should have to suffer it too!

There has been talk in the village today of trying to do something here on a local basis to sort it out.....

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:04 AM »
Indeed it is. The massive pile by Marias paper shop is only surpassed by the mountain of rancid trash by the tennis courts. With the beach not being maintained or cleaned very well the village is at risk this year of being badly perceived.

I'm worried as hell as we have two lots of friends coming for the first time this summer holiday. I'll be mortified it's like this then.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »
Really not sounding good! This could have a bad effect on the resort.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »
Hmmm, think I will give the beach a miss when we visit in July, it wasn't in a good state in June and by the sounds of it nothing has improved. :'(

At least it will be nice, clean and rubbish free at the Kapetanious pool. :D :D

Andy

Offline StevenM

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »
Happy to report that the pile of rubbish near to Maria's Supermarket was removed last night, must have been in the early hours as it was still there when we walked back to our villa after midnight. Still rubbish at the entry to the abandoned hotel on the main strip, hopefully this will be gone tonight.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
As I've been following the news about the rubbish I understand (to an extent) what is going on with that - but what is the excuse for the beach not being cleaned up????!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni