Author Topic: general info / advice ....  (Read 17799 times)

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
general info / advice ....
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
My husband, myself our 5yr old and my parents are visiting for 2 weeks from11th July staying at the Barras apts. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions on places to eat, things to do etc. I've seen mention of the water parks but a little concerned as both have some very bad reviews re cleanliness and safety.
Myself and my husband visited about 10.yrs ago :)

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: general info / advice ....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
Louise,there are loads of eateries in the village,you will be spoiled for choice.The beach is wonderful,and at night you can watch the sunsets from many of the tavernas and hotels dotted around the place.As for water parks, I am unsure,but I think the nearest may be in or around Corfu town.Have a happy time,enjoy the most wonderful,friendliest little village in Corfu.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
There's one between Sidari and Acharavi, but looks a bit naff from the road. There's a teeny one in Sidari.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
Hi Louise , welcome to the forum. The eateries are rich and plentiful, with an individual slant found in each venue. If you have a mo there are some useful threads in the where to eat section, spoilt for choice covers some popular listings over the last three seasons, you may have to look at some of the older threads but several restaurants remain consistently popular. You are in an ideal spot as the Barras as it sits close to the main crossroads , tasty corner sits here also , a great make your mind up spot if you are unsure which way to head on any given night ! Enjoy.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »
LouiseB, welcome.  The resort is fabulous for a beach holiday, the liitle un will love it.  On a calm day the sea is like a mill pond and very shallow for the first fifteen yards or so.  You are welcome to most pools so are spoilt for choice if you fancy a change from the Barras.  The bars and tavernas are quite diverse, whereby you can enjoy a quiet evening, some authentic Greek dancing, live bands or whatever suits.  The food is very good at most places and inexpensive.  You will be assured of a good holiday.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
Louise, the main waterpark is a cracker. Its about an hour on a coach from SS heading back in the general direction of the airport. One of the travel agents in the town will sort you out with tickets. We went a couple of times with our lad when he was 7 and 8. Great day out.

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
Oh brilliant ..... I've read some recent reviews and they range from fantastic to horrendous lol.....our little girl is only 5 so will be easy to please !! As long as it's safe and clean .

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
Hi Louise like Loftyscot  says the main water park (Aqualand) is the one to go for. We've been there 3 times now with San Stefanos travel. Be warned though the coach back leaves bang on time (delay at the photo counter caused a few skipped beats!) from the park so is worth being on it a little bit earlier than the time you are given for leaving. There are showers for use and lockers at a small cost (I can't recall what price) . There are childrens pools and water play/splash areas and small  slides and with small flumes and shutes. The big Flumes and shutes I would say your little one needs to not be afraid of water and have reasonable swim ability as they are quite fast coming off the ends and into a good depth of water- have a look before you go on together- There is a wave pool but it was always really busy so we didn't use it. There is a lazy river which is nice. We usually went end May beginning of June so one busy week (half term) one quiet. There are food outlets - a bit mad but food was edible and for a captive audience reasonable price but be prepared to pay more than in resort. There are roaming  photographers taking pictures which you can view and buy near the exit (if you have seen them take a photo and want then worth doing well before you leave!). The second time we took water proof camera they were good when we were in the childrens area but not for pictures coming off /down the flumes.There are sun beds and brollies scattered around the park but even in May June they were quite well used. I think that's all phew ! :D

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:06:09 AM »
Ah thank you so much Amanda for the great info :)
 I think our little girl will be happy with the kids section and lazy river (hopefully lol). I've just had to triple check my booking after reading how much people are paying for flights only !!!! Thought I'd made a big boo boo but looks like we got a good bargain :)
Am even more excited now lol !!!!

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:11:01 AM »
Hope you have a lovely time. We are staying at the Rose Gardens from the 18th July so we may see you around. :)

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
Ah yes we will still be around....look out for the 6ft english woman.....thats me lol

Offline lisa22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 01:39:14 AM »
Louise I'll be the 5 ft 2ish one with 2 teenagers leaning on my shoulders. We have a gap of a two sometimes three of years between each of our visits so when we first visited my boy would have been your daughters age  :) and my daughter about 7. Time flies by .

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Hi and welcome

i have a 4 year old boy who had the best time last year.  We didnt do any of the water parks but he just loved hanging out at the Nafsika pool most days and playing in his dinghy (lightening mcqueen..!)

All the restaurants are child friendly and will do small portions for your daughter.   There is also Hippopots where she can express her creative side (on the main street just up from Condor bar on the same side of the road).

She will have a brilliant time and the beach is very child friendly and safe.
x

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »
We've just got back with our (nearly) 5 year old.  As everyone says, the beach is wide, sandy and very safe for children and when the sea is calm, its so shallow that your little one will be fine.  When it does get a bit more wavy its still fun to do some wave jumping with him, which he thought was fantastic! The fact that its so shallow means its still very safe for that!

All the restaurants do 'english' food for children and she'll love the fire dancing at Zorbas and the Little Prince.  Both are a very short walk from Barras (Zorbas is opposite the Thomas Bay hotel and Little Prince is on the way to the beach).

Have a great time!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni