Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1390114 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #2025 on: August 04, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
Hello valfarrell :) There is an airport thread in the Yamass bar section, take a look at people's experiences. :)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 04, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »
Welcome to the forums, geordieborn :)

geordieborn

« Reply #2027 on: August 04, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
I haven't written anything on the forum for quite sometime. We are regular visitors to San Stefanos. Last year in June we stayed at jasmine apartments which was fantastic. But the journey home at the airport was terrible. The one before that was horrendous to. I was wondering what the airport is like this year. We weren't going to visit this year because I got very anxious at the airport but am feeling I need my San Stefanos injection to make me get through the winter. We went to Lanzarote in June but it isn't the same as Corfu. If anyone can give me any tips on coping with Corfu airport or any reviews this year I would be very grateful. ???
Only just been back there ourselves after many away. The airport we had heard was worse than ever and we expected more of a problem. Coming in from the UK with hold luggage we expected it would take as long as ever and be hot. Neither occurred, they were much quicker and the place had air-con.
Coming back we did as we had done many years ago and went into arrivals to head indoors to departures. We were actually very lucky here as we were flying back withJet2 and temporarily their check-in desks were temporarily in the domestic departures, just next to arrivals. It took us all of 5 minutes. Ideal as the queues for the others were as bad as ever. We intended to go up to departures via arrivals and check-in there, I did look there and it is still simple to avoid the queues outside and check-in, I doubt it would have been too bad. However, security is another matter and it took well over an hour and a half to get through. A tip for you would be to do as we did, I queued and left the OH (who is not too good at the airports) with the cases in seats near the end of the security queue, which is near enough to arrivals to benefit the cool air-con. Both were through security not long after that point. Air-side was busy, but there was plenty seats available and the food outlets were not too busy.
Things may change as they are doing work there – HTH.

Offline valfarrell

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 04, 2019, 08:42:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply we would be travelling with Jet2. We have chance of travelling back Thursday at 21.10. Or a Sunday at 14.10. Don't know which day would be quieter.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 04, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
Thank you for your reply we would be travelling with Jet2. We have chance of travelling back Thursday at 21.10. Or a Sunday at 14.10. Don't know which day would be quieter.

Not really sure, but sounds like Jet 2 is definitely the best company to be with for the actual check in. I know Sunday is a change over day for TUI so may be busy :)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 05, 2019, 12:14:28 AM »
We had problems on a Monday in May and it was mainly security although they were tough on people’s luggage weight.
Back in September again on a Monday,it is quieter than the Friday fiasco.
We always take a taxi to and from the airport.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 05, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »
We're with Jet2 this year, arriving on a Monday in Sept, and I must say the reviews of Jet2 are the most encouraging I've read! Fingers crossed!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 05, 2019, 04:48:47 PM »
We've used Jet2 for years and never had any issues with them.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 05, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Het2 seem to be going from strength to strength.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 05, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
Het2 seem to be going from strength to strength.

They definitely do, I could see they were very well organised at Stansted, much better than TUI :)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 05, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
TUI at Bristol last year was shambolic.
Not used Bristol since

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 06, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
Used both. Not a lot of difference, frankly.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
So - we've had our last few days and landed back in Blighty.

On Friday we walked over to Arillas and went to the last-but-one taverna on the right as you go down the beach, which is the widest I've ever seen in the village in nine years. I had the best moussaka I have had since Sparta about 15 years ago. Maria (paper shop) said it's very good but the best in Agios Stefanos is at Olympia. If, God willing, we are in the village next year, we'll try it.

A bit of north-westerly wind was whipping up the white-caps out towards the islands, so, after a lovely day on the beach by Mistral on Saturday we retired to the Nafsika pool on Sunday, where I wrote a good chunk of my new novel, and we went back in the evening for the Greek night. Despite a cool breeze this was very good fun. Two-piece band (bouzouki and keys) and a tall, good-looking male dancer, accompanied by an utterly gorgeous woman. Lot's of dancing instruction and audience participation. I'll still never remember the sirtaki steps.

Monday pick-up time was about 5pm, so having checked out we went to Nafsika pool again,where I carried on writing. There came a point where I realised that writing an extremely erotic scene in the warmth beside a swimming pool is not necessarily a good idea! Swimming saved the day :-)

And so, back to Little Prince for the bus to the airport. I will comment on that in the Airport thread.

We had three weeks of wonderful weather, and one of the best holidays we've had for a while. I'm usually bored after a couple of weeks, but not this time, and I would have happily stayed for many more.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:23:17 PM by Jimbo »

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 06, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »
Welcome home Jimbo.
Plenty of lovely memories and a lot of writing done by the sound of it.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 06, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
Yes welcome back to blighty Jimbo, you seem to have had a wonderful time in SS. Is your latest novel based on the village, thoroughly enjoyed your last one.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni