Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376249 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1230 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »
Yes today we awoke to a low cloud haze full of sand and very windy.  It started raining red rain about 30 mins ago but has stopped now.  The first direct flight from UK was diverted to SKG (Thessalonika) at lunchtime........and now sun is trying to break through.  Very mild though it touched 21c shade a little earlier.........

Offline riojabear

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 23, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
The weather wasn't great for the carnival Dupnica, a little drizzly, but it didn't dampen anyone's spirit!

Got any photos of the carnival you could show us?

twitter: @riojabear

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
Hi riojabear, I did take some photos, but quite a few were blurry, possibly due to me leaning out of a bar!  ;D
Also, for all my postings on here, I have no idea how to add photos!!

Well, not much to update as not been down to San Stefanos for about a week, and when we did go, it was all quiet, possibly due to the fact it was pretty windy, we got blown along the beach!
One thing we have noticed though is the removal of a few palm trees, at Athens Bar, and outside Aspa and Sparkles. Sadly I think they secumbed to a nasty little critter, that infests the trees and totally kills them. I've seen quite a lot around the island that have died, and its a sorry sight indeed.  :'(

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 02, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »
Akrotiri Lounge/Cafe is opening from today for the summer.  With the wonderful weather we have had over the past few days and predicated for the next few too, will be a lovely spot to view resort (Agios Stefanos & Arillas) this April......

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 03, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the updates ladies,much appreciated. Shame about the trees,they add to the resorts appearance,more so around the Summer Dreams area,where they and the flowers in the bar area give it a real wow factor.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline riojabear

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 04, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
Hi riojabear, I did take some photos, but quite a few were blurry, possibly due to me leaning out of a bar!  ;D
Also, for all my postings on here, I have no idea how to add photos!!

I'm not sure if you use flickr for your photos, but I find it far more useful than sharing photos by the usual social media accounts.  Within the sharing options is a bbcode option (which is the square bracket code used when adding things like the above quote on this forum).  Just copy the bbcode from flick and paste it in your post here.  Flickr is free with some limitations.  I have a pro account which allows unlimited uploads and storage for £24.95/2 years.

The following photo was taken at Agios Georgios last year at Dixtia Taverna: http://dixtiataverna.com/default.asp?PageL1_ID=3

20150816_183357 by Andy Davies, on Flickr

twitter: @riojabear

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 07, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »
Anyone have an idea what the beach is like this year - any movement of the sand ? Larger / smaller ??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 07, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice on up loading photos.....I don't use flickr, but will take a look. To be honest I'm a bit of a technophobe! Much happier with a paint brush in my hand!!  :P

The beach has been much bigger all Winter. Apart from when we had any windy/stormy weather that brings the tide right in, its been lovely and wide.

Due to being car less, I've not been down to San Stef, but I can report that the weather for over a week now has been absolutely amazing....high 70's every day, and not a cloud in the sky  8)

I've not seen any fireflies yet, but that lovely chirping sound that signal the start of warmer evenings has been heard from my place in Dafni this week, and I heard my first frogs of the season yesterday......summer's definitely coming!

Mr Hippopots is due back on Saturday, so we will be heading down to the village to start prepping for the season, along with everyone else, so more regular updates will resume shortly!  ;)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 09, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
Hello Hippopots. Didn't make San Stef last year so I don't know if the Sunset was open. Any signs of life this year. Always one of our favourite places to eat. My son reckons they do the best Sofrito in the village.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:18 PM »
Hi Tredegar Boy, no The Sunset didn't open last year, whether they will this year, I'm afraid I don't know....watch this space!

Went down to a damp San Stefanos this afternoon, the first time in 2 weeks, now Mr Hippopots is home. First thing we noticed is that Pegasus Bike hire has moved across the street....he's right opposite where he was before, so can now be found next to Elizabeths. with what looks like much more space to park all his scooters and quads.

2 Stars new location, where Mediterranean Village was before, is looking very smart, and all ready to open.

The Juice Bar has put up some new framework over their patio, which is all looking ready for a new canopy, which will give a nice lot of shade to sit beneath this Summer, and I imagine will be much better for them on windy days.

Love this time of year, as we're all getting started on prepping the village ready for you all to come and enjoy this Summer! Weather is supposed to be improving again through the week, so more work (and updates) to come!  :D       

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
thanks Jackie. Love to hear the news this time of year of the locals getting their businesses ready. Just bursting to get there now (but don't want to wish the summer away)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #1241 on: April 11, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
Getting very excited now!!! Only 6 weeks on Friday till we arrive now!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
Getting very excited now!!! Only 6 weeks on Friday till we arrive now!!
Likewise I supposed - just that having been so many times I tend to get more excited the week before and especially the night before.
I paid my flights with BA last October to secure a fantastic price, Booked this year with Noula including the (transfers and Air-con), Paid the Apartment deposit last October as well.
So we'll be staying in Margarita's Apartments for 3 weeks, I transferred the rest of the Money 2 weeks ago, so they're now paid for.
My spending money - - - Well, today, because of the reports of the Euro exchange rate being "iffy", and reading many opinions,
including Gavin, George and Jimbo, I noticed that it had shot up by 0.9% today because of the TaTa Steel deal, however, they say the Euro could strengthen tomorrow,
(against the Pound), following some deal they are doing in Europe. I thought it would be prudent to buy my spending money top-up of Euros today.
So I checked all the usual sources, and found that 'moneycorp' were about the best with free delivery and free buy-back, (not that I ever do).
I almost went with ICE, for my €'s but I get an extra €9 with moneycorp, and tracked delivery for wednesday, against 3 working days from ICE.
The Post Office, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, etc., etc. were all £10 - £15 dearer for the same amount, so no good.
So I bought it at £1 = €1.2264 which seems quite fair at this weeks rates.
This means I now have fully financed and paid for my holiday including spending money, which feels good - and 9 weeks to go.
Hmmmmmmm !!  Now I'm getting a touch more excited ....  Hope to see some of you guy's over there between 16th June and 7th July . . . 
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »
Tasty Corner opening this coming Friday April 15th..........

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »
It's a shame that the webcam isn't up and running yet,it would be nice to see the beach now that the weather is improving and there are signs of life again. Come on Waves we're waiting!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni