Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376586 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #975 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
Still very hot again today.....in fact, we think it cooled down a little when the sun went down last night, then by the time we closed it had got hotter again!!

But not a cloud in the sky all day, very typical Corfu in July.

We're all working hard still, but at a slightly slower pace, well we are, the waiters at Little Prince and Zorbas are still as energetic as ever! Really don't know how they do it in this heat  :P

Another changeover again so slightly quieter in the village tonight, as visitors come and go.....must admit I wouldn't want to be at the airport today!

The gorgeous sunshine is what makes Corfu so lovely, especially when my friends tell me its dull and grey in England  ;D

And the exchange rate is higher than ever at the moment, so it gives you all a bit of extra Mythos and Ouzo money!

Offline PeteJo

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 18, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
What a great holiday we have had. So great to see our friends  :)
Well I'm sitting at home now and have already priced up our return to San stef for next year. Just got to work hard now. 50 weeks to go.......

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2015, 12:31:28 AM »
Guess what.....hot again! 8)

All very quiet during the day today on the streets, and to be fair I'm not surprised....in the water was the only place to be today!!

Just been for a wander, and Siver Star looking busy, Olympia serving some late diners, and Summer Dreams was busy too.

Chilly Chilli adds some more light to the beach at night time. They aparently did a buffet tonight, and I've heard good reports about it. Not sure if it's going to be a regular Saturday night thing, but sounds good.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 20, 2015, 12:10:32 AM »
Another hot day, and very still too. A little, (and I mean little!) bit of breeze on the beach, but not a lot to take the edge off.

But hot days mean nice warm evenings, and people are out and about enjoying it tonight. All tavernas very busy with new places Brusko and Beer O Clock doing well, as well as the well established like 2 stars, Zorbas and Little Prince absolutely packed. Nice to see!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »
thanks for the updates - I'm enjoying them now home and back to work - boo! Had another fab holiday in SS and will be returing again next year. Highlights were :
although beach is narrower you can walk a lot further (down past havana bar)
hadn't eaten in waves before - realy enjoyed it
orange cake in Yiannis (obviously)
nice to see Silver Star busy again
sunset from Chilly Chilli
meals in Beachcomber and Beer Oclock
meeting old friends
gorgeous weather
lovely calm sea some days
Akrotiri bar ( a must do)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:36 AM »
I've really got to try that famous orange cake at Yiannis teamnikos.....I keep hearing such good things about it!!

Another really hot one today, but there has been a bit of a cooling breeze tonight, and the sea is getting a little more wavy, so maybe this is a sign of the heatwave ebbing a little. It's lovely having wall to wall sunshine, but its also lovely having the sea close to hand!

Supermarkets all quite busy today, with new arrivals stocking up, and the free delivery service they offer is looking to be very popular.

Quite a few enjoying drinks tonight at Thomas Bay, and Katy Perry tribute happening just over the road from there, at Acabar.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »
Another very hot day again today, although just a few wispy clouds were spotted this afternoon.

Lots more families around now, as schools start breaking up in England for the summer. Scotland finished 2 weeks ago, so there has already been lots of Scottish families here, and cars from Italy and Czech Republic, amongst others are also increasing. Always nice to have all different nationalities here, we had someone come in who lives in New Zealand today!

Athens Bar very busy tonight, they have a jazz night, and very good it sounds too. I think it might be a one off, but its proving to be very popular! 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 22, 2015, 11:59:26 PM »
Well, it just keeps getting hotter!! Looking on accuweather, todays high was 37 degrees, with a real feel of 44.....and it really did feel that hot!!

Looking at the historical data, this day last year was just a meagre 28 degrees!

So everyone has been gently glowing in the heat, and spending as much time as possible in the sea....it was still very busy on the beach at 7.30pm tonight  8)

Live music tonight at 3W's with a tribute to the rat pack, and traditional Greek night at Summer Dreams, in amongst their beautiful rose garden.   

Offline jonjona

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 23, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Hello Peeps love keeping up with the news here.
Coming back to SS on 31st August but a little query.
We were in New York earlier this year and hence have over 600 dollars left over. Is it possible to change that to Euros in SS rather than lose out on the commission rate in UK by having to change to pounds first?

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »
Seen pictures on fb of a section of cliff collapsing. How bad is it hippopots? A smattering of rocks came down as we walked along last September and we stayed well clear this May as we didn't think it looked so good in places. 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
Hi jonjona,

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how easy it will be to change dollars to euros. I expect it can be done in SS, but don't know what sort of rate you can expect, and whether it will be very competitive. I would say the best thing to do would be email San Stefanos travel, as they have an exchange, and ask their advice.

Yes Caz, there was a cliffslide this afternoon, at the Northern end of the beach. As far as I am aware, thankfully no one was hurt.
5 Days ago there was a cliff slip at 7th Heaven beach at Perolulades, where unfortunately 2 people were hurt by the debris.
It's important to remember that these cliffs are soft sandstone, and after a wet spring, we have not had any significant rainfall since April, so they are now all drying our and cracking. Erosion happens a lot here, as anyone who walks the cliff track to Arillas will know, as the path has been moved futher inland over the last few years, the path we walked when on holiday in 2011 is long gone!
So, remember to stay safe, and not sunbathe too close to the cliffs.

And it sure has been hot again today, although there is a little bit of cooler weather tonight. Live music tonight, at 3W'S, Acabar, Condor, and Athens Bar, so plenty to choose from!

There will be a little gap in my postings again, as I have to fly back to the UK tomorrow, until Wednesday. Mr Pots will be staying here with Bod to man the shop, so if anyone pops by in the next few days, be gentle with him as he's doing 14 hour days all on his own!  :P

I'll be back with more ramblings from Wednesday night

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »
Seen pictures on fb of a section of cliff collapsing. How bad is it hippopots? A smattering of rocks came down as we walked along last September and we stayed well clear this May as we didn't think it looked so good in places.
We used to sunbathe on this section of the beach some years ago.  We walked down and John looked at the cliffs and said he didn't think it was safe to be there.  We turned around and walked back.  Minutes later, we heard a loud crack and saw lots of dust, John went running back and saw lots of rock fallen onto the beach, narrowly missing some holiday makers.  Thankfully no one was hurt, but nobody moved off the beach!!?? :o  We now do not sunbathe down there anymore but occasionally walk in the sea the and you can see new rockfall most days!!

Offline jonjona

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 24, 2015, 02:21:19 AM »
Thanks Hipppopots I emailed san stef travel and they will sort it when we get there yippee.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 24, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
Just curious  - can't you change dollars into euros at UK banks?

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
Would have thought so

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni