Author Topic: Old Calendar of Avliotes 2004  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Old Calendar of Avliotes 2004
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
I have just found an old calendar of Avliotes from 2004.There are fascinating photos dating from 1922 through to 1980 including some of San Stefanos. Of particular interest is a school photo taken in 1955,I'm sure some of the children must be the parents or even grandparents of the people we know now who run apartments or tavernas in San Stefanos. Another one,from 1959,shows a group of young men playing in the snow,quite a novelty in Corfu,but it does happen occasionally. By far the most poignant is the one taken in 1945,just at the end of the war,which shows a group of  rather malnourished men working in the fields.
Does anyone else have one of these calendars and do they recognize anyone?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Old Calendar of Avliotes 2004
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Hi Dupnica can you put some of the pictures on here . Would be great to see them.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »
George at Ilias Taverna used to sell these calendars up until a few years ago when it no longer unfortunately became viable however if you do visit Ilias in Avliotes ask George to show you some of his collection. I often bought them (Calendars) as Xmas gifts for my UK family. Also Ilias Café/Bar has a FB page group and often updates local photos past & present stuff.....

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
Thanks Lesley. I will have a look  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
Lesley,I can't remember how I acquired the calendar it could have been at Ilias,it was a long time ago.
 Jules I will try to scan some of the pictures am awaiting delivery of a new printer.
There is another one ,taken in 1922 of the grape harvest,the ladies,young and old,are in traditional dress with baskets on their heads,really beautiful!!
 More up to date San Stefanos beach in 1980 and not a doughnut man in sight,hardly anyone in sight actually,definitely no sunbeds.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
I love all the old photos and trying to spot people I know or places.  I was trying to get some old black & white photos for a photo collage and managed to get 1 of my husband Aris from his schooldays back in the 60's he's in the playground with others I know from this era. Unfortunately its the only photo I have of him from his youth.  I asked his mother (who's 88) if she perhaps had any stuffed away in a cupboard as Ari didn't have any.  She is a lovely old and sprightly lady who still works her small farm area and a wonderful mother-in-law. Her reply (which I will always remember and puts all things for me into perspective as to how much has changed in a very short space of time since main tourism hit the island) She said Lesley I have no photos as back in those days we didn't have money for a camera, sometimes the children didn't even have shoes, we had no electricity and we got our water from the local well. We got up at sunrise and went to bed as the evening became dark.

So I am still looking for any photos hence I always enjoy all the old photos forum members post as maybe, just maybe I will spot my ole man in one and add to my collection......

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Hope you find some more Lesley. A lot of people these days could learn a thing or 2 about the Greek way of life and how hard they have to work to provide for there families.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
I love all the old photos and trying to spot people I know or places.  I was trying to get some old black & white photos for a photo collage and managed to get 1 of my husband Aris from his schooldays back in the 60's he's in the playground with others I know from this era. Unfortunately its the only photo I have of him from his youth.  I asked his mother (who's 88) if she perhaps had any stuffed away in a cupboard as Ari didn't have any.  She is a lovely old and sprightly lady who still works her small farm area and a wonderful mother-in-law. Her reply (which I will always remember and puts all things for me into perspective as to how much has changed in a very short space of time since main tourism hit the island) She said Lesley I have no photos as back in those days we didn't have money for a camera, sometimes the children didn't even have shoes, we had no electricity and we got our water from the local well. We got up at sunrise and went to bed as the evening became dark.

So I am still looking for any photos hence I always enjoy all the old photos forum members post as maybe, just maybe I will spot my ole man in one and add to my collection......
The description of the school photo translates I believe as"School trip to the Festival in San Stefanos May 1955" I remember showing it to someone locally who said "Do you know why the children are kneeling,it's because they have no shoes"and although all the boys have jackets on you can see one or two bare feet sticking out. Makes you wonder how they got from Avliotes to San Stefanos,did they walk? You can probably answer that one Lesley or Aris can.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
Yes they would have (mostly) walked my husband would have walked sometimes barefoot from his home in the valley known as near Kokkinakades to his primary school in Avliotes on the hill and his father and others walked years prior to this time onto San Stefanos to tend their boats from the 'old' harbour, some people would have had mules.  Aris would have been at school in the mid 60's being born in '58. Actually the picture I have of him he has sandals on he is about 8 yrs old, however even to this day you will often see him around San Stefanos barefoot (many of you know him anyway) he prefers barefoot and I am amazed to see he climbs the rocks/boulders down in the harbour barefoot I have trouble walking over a few pebbles...... but going back to the photos I will continue to search & the music school in the village square has various book days with old photos & books etc so I do pop in and see if there are any new items of interest there...... its so interesting listening to the old folk here including my mother in law and I so enjoy to listen to the old stories of life prior to tourism and their history,knowledge & wisdom is warming and magical....

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni