Author Topic: Ilias in Avliotes  (Read 49179 times)

Offline GeordiePair

• View Profile
Ilias in Avliotes
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
Just returned from our 7th visit of San Stefanos, albeit the last before that was 6 years ago - and, by far the best place to eat remains Ilias in Avliotes; great real Greek food served overlooking from on high the picturesque green valley below. Prices general the same as San Stef, but quality and portions better. Eat later than normal with the local people. If a crowd of you intend to go, call ahead to book a table and to give them a chance to prepare properly. Outstanding.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:16:45 PM by GeordiePair »

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Ilias in Avliotes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »
Just returned from our 7th visit of San Stefanos, albeit the last before that was 6 years ago - and, by far the best place to eat remains Ilias in Avliotes; great real Greek food served overlooking from on high the picturesque green valley below. Prices general the same as San Stef, but quality and portions better. Eat later than normal with the local people. If a crowd of you intend to go, call ahead to book a table and to give them a chance to prepare properly. Outstanding.

We always visit Ilias for lunch when in SS, we really enjoy the walk from SS to Avilotes, this year during out 3 week stay we enjoyed 3 lovely lunches at Ilias. The food was amazing and like you say the views are so picturesque, always a relaxing atmosphere. Also love the sweets that you are given when you pay your bill. We have never been of an evening because we did not fancy the walk in the dark so I suppose a taxi would be necessary for evening visits. Next time we visit we will definetly book a taxi and try an evening visit to this superb tavern.

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Fantastic homemade pizza and a cold Mythos, or 3, whilst looking out over the valley. We always go by scooter but this year I'm determined to find the shortcut through the olive groves and walk up there.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
where is Ilias exactly?  Thanks

Offline julied

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
and do they open at lunchtime?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
Fantastic homemade pizza and a cold Mythos, or 3, whilst looking out over the valley. We always go by scooter but this year I'm determined to find the shortcut through the olive groves and walk up there.

Hi benson, we tried the short cut a couple of years ago which is up a short steep lane on the right at the crossroads, as we approached the few houses we were chased by a pack of dogs baring their teeth, frightened the life out of us as a few weeks prior to this not far from where we live we were chased by a pack of vicious dogs near a farm, never peddled so fast in all our lives. We had to turn back in SS and still ended up going the road way which is the way we always walk to Avilotes now, the scenic route put us off.

Debra, as you approach Avilotes turn right and keep walking a few minutes and it is on the right, opposite side to the pharmacy.

Julied yes they are open for lunch.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »
The doggies are locked up usually, and if not they're okay if you talk to them. Sing "LA LA lal-la-lala" and they'll start dancing.

joan

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Good food, prices, and views hope to go again.
Whilst in Avliotes we visited the  church up the hill (if you get the bus the sign is on the top of the junction as you turn into Avliotes)  IPERIAGIA THETOKOS  ODIGITRIAS the views are stunning you can see the Diaponte islands and many other lovely views. Don't forget your camera!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
The doggies are locked up usually, and if not they're okay if you talk to them. Sing "LA LA lal-la-lala" and they'll start dancing.
Ha ha, thanks for the advice but there is no way that we will ever attempt to walk past them again, dancing dogs hey?  ;D ;D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
Lilly, the dogs are lovely. They're only doing their job. If you pass by, they will accept that. If you talk calmly to them in a confident voice they will be less aggressive. Don't smile - that's a teeth-baring signal.

They just need to know that you're not threatening them, their children, or their territory, and they'll love you. As do we all.

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
It's a lovely walk through the olive groves as it's so shady and peaceful.  In fact the whole walk is beautiful. The dogs are a bit scary if, like me you are a bit wary of dogs!! Luckily I was with Jimbo and he is used to dogs and I must say they were fine and we just walked through and past them, no trouble at all and we have done the walk several times now and I am getting used to them!  Try not to let them put you off going as it is a great walk.

You certainly need a cold Mythos at Ilias and some lunch. From Avliotes you can walk on to Peroulades (I think that's what it's called) where there is a great view and a taverna overlooking the sea - it even has some swinging seats.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
could you please give me an idea of where you go to take the short cut.never knew there was a way other than by road.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
I'm racking my brains as well as to where this short cut is.I've walked along the Arriles road turned left past the tennis courts and carried along
the Stouza road and turned right at the top but I wouldn't call it a short cut. Another route is to walk along the beach to the fisherman's house
and walk up the track from there but that's a bit of a hike and very steep.Come on someone enlighten me. ???

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
For the walk through the olive groves, have a look at the online map link at the top of the forum page. As you go up the hill, turn right at Stamatis. At the 't' junction, turn left to follow the path up through the groves. I am not sure it is any easier than the road, but you may consider it more scenic in places. If you follow the road, you will at least pass several watering holes!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
The walk up through the olive groves and then through Garnades is wonderful. I shall draw a map-lette tomorrow.

Put repellent on if you are prone to getting bitten; there are lots of midges in the olive groves.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni