Author Topic: Just returned  (Read 10963 times)

Offline chrissie d

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Just returned
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
Just got back last night after two FANTASTIC weeks ,staying for the 4th time at Little Prince.Will be writing more in depth write up when I,ve got on top of the unpacking,washing and food shopping :(.While waiting for our taxi transfer to airport mikhalis told us that somebody who had left earlier had a really go at him over something really trivial that he had to fight back the tears.Me and my husband were totally shocked. Back with write up soon.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Just returned
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »
Poor Mike. He is one of the nicest people you could meet as well. Some people really do need to stop and listen to themselves sometimes.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline gillyW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
Totally agree with you Jules, Mike is a most kind and helpful person. In June when visiting family at another hotel in a nearby resort I couldn't believe unfortunately how rude a man was towards the owners son and heard he had been like that all stay. The son was patient and polite but I felt like telling the guy holidays were for chilling out!! Looking forward to reading your write up Chrissie d - it will keep me going till my next visit in September.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
There appears to be a group of people who make a profession out of complaining so that they can get money back.  It's disgusting.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
I,m astounded and shocked at that,Mike ?,he is one of the most helpful guys we have ever come across on our travels.When our taxi looked like it was not going to appear on time to return us to the airport,he was going to call someone on our behalf to find out what was going on,and was annoyed at how we were being messed around.He was as anxious as we were,a lovely gentleman.We are so looking forward to our return visit in September,and having a good chat with him again.Top top bloke.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
Your probably right there Jim. The things people complain about is just absurd. We have heard people complaining before in the village and indeed where we stay but we just laugh at them as they sound so ridiculous.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Returned late Friday night just like Chrissie D after another excellent 2 weeks in San Stef.

Our review for what its worth.

This was our 10th visit and our 7th on the bounce at the Fedra. Quiet 1st week and a noisier 2nd week when a big wedding party arrived. A few issues with that but not for comment here.

Lovely weather as usual with a breeze in the first week that kept things bearable though that disappeared in the middle weekend which left it feeling very hot indeed. The breeze returned though to round off an excellent fortnight.

Mozzies - didn't have a single bite between the 3 of us which is a record. Viva Autan I say.

Eating out - didn't have one bad meal thoughout the fortnight though our experience at the Olympia was not what it was previously - ate there 4 times last year but only twice this. Not sure what was different but there was something not quite right. Gave Yiannis grill a try for the fist time and was very impressed. Will be going back next year.

Zorba's was great but they now do 6 dances and when busy that makes for a delay in serving though as you're on holiday you can take it. May be worth bearing in mind if you have young kids though.

Unfortunatley we do have a few issues with the resort this year (our view only).

First up the rubbish collection. I can't comment on the whole of the resort but from the Fedra to Zorba's there was not one occasion when all the bins had been emptied despite seeing the waste collectors on 5 seperate occasions. There are green and blue bins which aren't all emptied at the same time. This was plain to see outside the Margarita's supermarket when it wasn't until our last day that all the bins had been cleared. It was at best unsightly and at worst smelly. There wasn't a strike like a few years ago which may have explained things so there must be a problem with the local authorities.

Our second issue is the noise level around the main road. On numerous occasions during the fortnight there were acts on at the Condor, Bar 38, Thomas Bay and Acabar at the same time with their music turned up very loud. Throw in the increased volume at Zorba's when they dance and it was difficult to hear yourself think as you waled around. I actually saw Spiro put his bar music up when the Condor act started.

What happened to a more balanced approach to acts to avoid this kind of thing. As a result we intended to stay down the old part of time after eating. Sad because I really like Bar 38 and that area.

Overall we had a great time and have booked to go back next year already.

Yammas.        
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Thanks for your review Tredegar Boy. All reviews are worthwhile to help get a perspective from a different point of view. Glad you had a good time.  :)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
I agree with you Tredegar Boy about the rubbish.  I can't remember it being so bad before.  It would not stop us going to Ag Stef as we love it so much, but if someone was visiting the resort for the first time, it may well put them off.  Also noticed the same thing with noise levels, especially Bar 38.  Spiros would come and talk to us and you couldn't hear a word he was saying!  Thought he might get the idea that it was too loud when we kept saying 'pardon' all the time!!  Always had a drink in there but didn't stop very long as we couldn't hold a conversation with each other!  Apart from that, we too had a fantastic holiday, as the lovely locals never change.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
I seem to remember last year when we were there (September) that the bins didn't get emptied as often as they had in previous years.Hasn't put us off either though.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »
As I understand it, the collection has moved from local to island-wide, as part of the cut-back reorganisation. The paper recycling stacks were indeed high, and there have been strikes, but in general the "smelly" rubbish was being cleared frequently when we left 10 days ago. The paper mountains don't look good, but they don't smell.

It's something for the businesses to discuss with the Mayor of Avliotes.

I don't know what it's like in the other UK cities but here in Hull we have recently gone to fortnightly collections with alternating general waste one week and recycling paper and vegetable matter the next. Where there are flats with their bins outside the front it's noticeably smelly in the warm conditions.

Frankly, given the current Greek economic situation and the fact the people are in poverty and near starvation even on Corfu, we're lucky that it's as good as it is. 

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
The worst pile of rubbish was that one more or less opp the Little Prince. Only got emptied once whilst we were there!
Just a question..... Dont bars/restaurants in Corfu pay private contractors to collect rubbish like in the Uk or is it done by local authorities and paid for by rates?

With regards to wedding parties...... it's a difficult one.
We stayed in Kefalonia last year at a wonderful hotel that had a chapel for weddings.
There was a large party there stopping at around 4 hotels. Every day around 20 would de-camp from their hotels to ours.
Don't mind that in itself but when it starts affecting paying guests of that hotel I think it becomes an issue.
Lack of sunbeds and also the fact that they were trying to order food en masse from the pool bar  at 10pm because they found the main restaurant too expensive!!! One poor bloke trying to serve them all, cook hotdogs and get everyone else their drinks. One elderly couple had to wait about 30 mins to get two Gin and Tonics.  Also the pool area looked like a bomb had gone off. Rather than use the bins they just let crisp packets and Coke cans blow in the pool!!

I wouldn't say it ruined the hol but it definitely changed the ambience and atmosphere

Gavlah1973

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
I guess having a little one we didnt really notice the noise as we were back at the Tsaros pool by 10.30 most nights. Loved Zorbas but their music is very loud.
We only really noticed noise pollution one night when sat on the balcony back at the room.
We distinctly heard Zorbas and also the tribute act at Condor. Really loud that night and we could make out every word despite being back on the balcony

Offline H A S

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Hi just a little note about the rubbish.
When we first went to corfu in the 1980s it was bad in them days open sewers and the rubbish was just put out in the street including bones and food and just left there  until it was collected about once a week.
There ware dogs roaming the streets and the smell was  terrible but it was still a great holiday.
Regards Harry

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
Sounds like modern day Stoke On Trent!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni