Author Topic: Mozzies now  (Read 37648 times)

Gavlah1973

Re: Mozzies now
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
The situation has probably changed again.
We've been back 4 weeks now and it was bad then.
Im putting it down to the strange weather as were a lot of thd locals.
Hot April, cool May and very breezy June.
There weren't many folk we spoke to whilst there that hadn't had a few chomps more than they usually get. Not all of them but the majority.
Weather is probably more normal now so may have settled down

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
Day 7 for us and no bites on any of the four of us.
Follow strict routine with the repellant though and have seen people walking round with plenty of bites. I think some people are more susceptible than others. Previous years we have been bitten the odd time despite using repellant.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
just home from a great 2 weeks,not one bite.sat out late most evenings at peli&marias where we stayed.have a big garden, lots of wild life.did the tour of the restaurants and bars.no probs at all with the blighters

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 12:39:06 AM »
Did you see the hedgehogs and toads at Maria- Pelis ?

Offline Rob.tc

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
Came back yesterday after another excellent stay at the Nafsika.
Mozzies not bad too bad there as long as you were careful to apply plenty of repellent in the evening. Only about 10 bites between the 6 of us in the 2 weeks we were there.
There were several people there who had not been applying and were covered in bites, one poor soul had 25 bites in one evening after going to the Greek dancing night at Summer Dreams.
I think the plenty of deet or similar has to be the order of the day - better to be safe than sorry as the little blighters can certainly ruin your holiday.

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
home last saturday,,about 20 between the four of us , big party all reporting not many . brother had none in 2 weeks . think ours were due to a night in the apartment (spiradoula) eating . majority were then (8) but that's it . not knockin the apartment ,its beautiful . prob our negligence relaxing without applying the repellent ... use baby oil with aloe vera and nothing gets near ya !! happy holidays

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
Hi gill. Yep we had the hedgehogs each evening,only 2 though.last year it was a family of 4.we also had lots of lizards,and for the first time we had a snake.was a metre long,no joke.and a drink hadent touched my lips.it was around 3pm.also each evening round 12 we had an owl sitting on the wire across the garden,hunting for food and always lots of bats.lots to see if you keep your eyes open.

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
We also saw a snake and our neighbours did it was sun bathing on the wall as you got passed Maria's shop on way up to apartments,lots of lizards in the opposite bank.Sorry we missed the owl must have gone to bed too early!!! Couldn't get over the size of the toads out side our door little grandchildren loved to look for them evenings.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:45:34 PM by Gill C »

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »
Three of us for two weeks and no bites for the first time ever.

Used the plugins 24/7 and the mighty Autan which was recommended to us by the owner of the Margarita's supermarket last year. We normally use the plugins, Jungle Formula and other anti-mozzie stuff but to no affect but this year it was great.  :)

A lot of it is to do with your blood type apparantly. The rarer your blood the less likely you are to get bit.
Jimbo is that correct.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »
Didn't see any toads,could hear them ok.we was staying at number 4

Gavlah1973

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
Apparantly they prefer Blood type O to A. Also if you are overweight you are likely to get bit more as you will be more out of breath when walking etc and they Carbon Dioxide. I also read they love dark blue and black clothing!!

I'll try to find this article online!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet

There are others. There does seem to be some genetic disposition towards being bitten.

Being over-weight, drinking Marston's and breathing out a lot obviously don't help, either.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
Ha ha!!!!!

I'm more of a Jennings man!!

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
Rilo57 we stayed in 5 and had the pleasure of being next to GillyW

Offline gillyW

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
Thanks Gill C, it was lovely to meet you and the family also. Hope the children quickly recovered and that you managed to enjoy the unexpected extra days in the end. On the topic of mozzies, I thought I'd got away without any bites (for the first time ever!) and then the little blighters found me on my last night - several times! Extra repellent needed for Sept.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni