Author Topic: Stuffed vine leaves  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Stuffed vine leaves
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
Last year (2012) I had trouble getting stuffed vine leaves. My imagination, or are they going out of fashion?

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuffed vine leaves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
Hi Rover
Not sure if the issue may be seasonal? No idea how these leaves are harvested! M & S usually have some in, while the likes of Tesco and Asda are a little more sporadic perhaps. Tinned versions are usually available although we have never tried these. (Main supermarkets usually about £ 2 - £3 for a small tin? )
Its always fun trying to recreate holiday ambiance at home with a Greek dish or two but its never the same!
Do you or other members try to get decent Feta cheese at home ? If so is it any good?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »
I tried making these with a bit off the Privet bush in the garden..... just wasnt the same

As for feta....... has anyone tried making a greek salad with Dairylea triangles?

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
Gav, lol.......dare not ask where you get your home made olive oil from!  :o There goes this thread Rover    sorry!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
We've got some home-made Nafsika olive oil. It's excellent!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
Wow lucky you.I used to get it from Old Mr Costas up at Romanza.Used to fill 2 empty Fanta bottles up for me.Never looked very nice but the taste was wonderfull.That was 20 years ago, god knows how you would get through customs now.

Offline stancooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
Could not find vine leaves in SS. Not the same in UK, nor is the ouzo.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
Hi Rover, sorry i went a bit off track.Never had a problem with vine leaves (Dolmades) when i have been in SS. What i do notice is their shape, pretty uniform now as when i first visited in 91 they where all different shapes and sizes.Meaning at first i think they were hand made, now i think they are from a tin.  Still pack a good taste though.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
 I bought mine from Peli&Marias ( paper shop) last year.And also they had them in the airport duty free shop.

Offline teambunny

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Do you or other members try to get decent Feta cheese at home ? If so is it any good?
Sainsbugs does a barrel aged feta on the deli counter which is pretty good. :)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
I'm new to the forum but have been visiting San Stefanos two,or sometimes three times a year for the last 25 years,so you can tell that I love the place and the people as much as you do.
 However I had an unfortunate experience when shopping in the Duty Free shop at Corfu Airport last October.I spent 228euros on one transaction with my debit card and was shocked when I got home and checked my account to find that they had duplicated that amount and had taken 2 x228 euros,
 456 euros in total.  Six months on and my bank are still trying to resolve the matter as the Duty Free shop deny that they are responsible.!!
 I wonder if this has happened to anyone else,I can't believe I am the only one.
 My advice would be shop in the local shops in San Stefanos with people you know and trust or save some of your euros to spend at the Airport.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Hi and welcome Dupnica,

What a terrrible experience for you at the airport, I hope that you will get your money back,of course they are responsible. I have bought things from the duty free at Corfu but I only ever use cash.  When are you going to SS this year and where do you stay? Once again welcome.

YANNIS26

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Hi Dupnica
Welcome to the forum.I am sure you will have seen a lot of changes in the last 25 years.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
I know it's going off the subject a bit but does anyone know if you can buy giant beans in the UK?  We have tried without success as we love them - tried to recreate at home with butter beans - not quite the same.  We always bring a couple of tins back with us though. :)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »
I think Ocado do some (organic), but you should be able to get them at other outlets. Have you "Googled" them?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni