Author Topic: Cost of flights  (Read 24861 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of flights
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm not convinced it's that much cheaper to go DIY.

We have decided to do it next year, in a spirit of objective comparison, so I have booked with Jet2 July 15 out July 29 back.

Baggage was extra - so not allowing for extras like booking seats in advance the flight cost in total was £445

Add taxi transfer both ways £90 - we're at £535

Add a reasonable self-catering room at £30 per day £420 - we're at £955

Current Thomson prices - could have stayed at Romanza (same dates) £1,022. Half-board at Nafsika - £1,220 - Teresa - £1,004

Easyjet flights from Manchester booked today would total £580, including baggage. Apart from the extra petrol and an over-night stay that would make the total £1,130

So let's be fair to Thomson. The prices are very competitive.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
Agreed Jimbo.
Had a look at 2nd week of Sept 2013 - flying from BHam - staying at Teresas - £760 for the two of us.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
Yes Jimbo, you also get a degree of cover for potential problems such as ash clouds etc. Romanza in June, daytime flights, 20kg plus 5 kg hand baggage, coach transfer £447 per person. This price has now increased. I am sure you can, if you want to, do it cheaper by shopping around. It is, as ever, each to his/her own.

YANNIS26

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
It does pay to shop around if you want to book a package holiday.
Take the ones Jimbo & I quoted.
21st June
  669 pounds/head
15th July
  511 pounds/head
Both these are genuine quotes today for 14 nights at the Romanza with Newcastle flights.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »
Prices certainly fluctuate. The booking I made for £445 is now £498. Same dates from Newcastle is £549. I have not compared Newcastle flights before, but suppose the extra is due to greater travel distance? Hence Gatwick tends to be cheaper?

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
Sorry, I failed to add that I fly from Birmingham!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »
We've found that if going for a week or 10 days its best to do a package but for our main 2 weeks it normally works out cheaper to be independant.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »
Easyjet - from Gatwick or Luton - prices not bad now - check it out....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline richnsare

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
We generally try to book direct, but when doing so you do need to keep an eye on flight prices and book when/if they drop to an acceptable level. We usually fly from Bham on a Friday 1st/2nd week in September. Currently Thomas Cook are quoting just under £500 for the two of us flying just after midnight. Thomsons are quoting thevbest part of £1000 for a mid morning flight. Thomsons is actually £900 but this year any baggage is extra, so add another £100 for 2 x 20kg.

We have tried Ejet from Bristol before (excellent flight and service) but as mentioned by others, when factoring in additional transport costs and parking it's worth paying a little extra to fly local.

The deposit is very reasonable at our favourite hotel (Perros), so the risk of leaving the flight booking until later is a small one. This time last year Thomsons were about the same pricecwise and then dropped considerably around Feb/March. They won't sell out at the high prices they're currently quoting, so I'm sure they'll drop again in a few months. Fingers crossed anyway...

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Well finally gone and done it. Kept an eye on prices 3/4 times a day. Easyjet kept going up so looked at Thomson from Bristol and Cardiff. Over the period of 7 days the Bristol Thomson flights fell from £428 per person to £288. Bought 3 at £288 so now looking for cheap parking, insurance etc. Don't want much do I!

Definately learnt a lesson this year though i.e. I won't be booking in school holidays next year. I noticed the price for 3 of us travelling the last Friday in June for 2 weeks was £178 per person last week. Thats a huge saving.

Youngest son will have finished his GCSEs by the end of June next year so we'll go then in 2014.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:24 AM »
Well finally gone and done it. Kept an eye on prices 3/4 times a day. Easyjet kept going up so looked at Thomson from Bristol and Cardiff. Over the period of 7 days the Bristol Thomson flights fell from £428 per person to £288. Bought 3 at £288 so now looking for cheap parking, insurance etc. Don't want much do I!

Definately learnt a lesson this year though i.e. I won't be booking in school holidays next year. I noticed the price for 3 of us travelling the last Friday in June for 2 weeks was £178 per person last week. Thats a huge saving.

Youngest son will have finished his GCSEs by the end of June next year so we'll go then in 2014.

Assume it's Fedra Mare again?

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
Hi Waspman

Yes it is. Home from home now.
 :)
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
the Fedra Mare is wonderful :)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
I found this link which maybe of use for future reference as its altogether on one page with links in and also includes all Europeans destinations coming into Corfu including a few I hadn't heard of check out http://www.low-cost-airline-guide.com/en/cheap-flights-to-Corfu.htm if the lionk dosnt work copy and paste it.......
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:38:47 PM by Lesley »

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni