Author Topic: Most Popular Book and Download  (Read 12257 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Most Popular Book and Download
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »
I was amazed - every woman on the Beach seemed to be reading 50 shades of Grey - - Men beware!!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Most Popular Book and Download
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Reading the first book at home at the moment. Not sure it is a beach or pool book lol!!!!!! ;D :o
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
Am sorry but I thought it was a terrible book - literary prize it ain't! 

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
Pam read all 3 whilst in Kefalonia......she thought the first one was awful but said the other two were slightly better. I think it's deffo Emporers new clothes with this one.

I broke my record on my fortnights holiday........8 books completed!! The Kindle was brilliant for just nipping to reception, hopping on the WIFI and getting another book!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
I broke my record on my fortnights holiday........

Gavlah - I was wondering what you were going to say next in light of the thread. Phew. It's books not the other.........lol
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
Lol....not so lucky !!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
Gaviah - I am taking my kindle - not tried it in Ag Stef but had no problem just downloading anywhere in Australia - is it that easy there?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
I have the Wifi only one and never had any problems dowloading books where there was Wifi

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
I just load a lot of books before leaving. The Kindle will hold thousands!

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Duncan downloaded books by the side of the pool at the Vicky , absolutely no problems.

Offline lizzie

• SanStef Addict
  • hair by Patricia - San Stefanos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »

Had go at the Kindle but a book is more satisfying - has any one read "The Island " by Victoria Hislop
  now that's a good read----the other two are" Eleni " by Nicolas Gage and " One Fourteenth of an Elephant"
  all three are factual.
LIZZIE

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
I have "The Island" in my Corfu folder on the Kindle, ready for our August holiday.
Good to know others have enjoyed it.

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Lizzie - I have read The Island by Victoria Hislop and also her other two books. I thought The Island was excellent but that was untill someone told me about a series of books by Beryl Darby see link http://www.beryldarbybooks.com/

Her books were written before Victoria Hislop's and there are about ten in the series.  They start off with the first one Yannis which is based on Spinalonga - dont be put off though it is about 750 pages and I thought I am never going to get through that but I read it in two weeks couldnt put it down. It is  compelling story of Yannis, who comes from the village of Plaka on the island of Crete. He attends school in the town of Aghios Nikolaos and gains a scholarship to the Gymnasium in Heraklion. Whilst in Heraklion, he is diagnosed with leprosy, shattering his dreams of becoming an archaeologist. He is admitted to the local hospital for treatment and subsequently transferred to the hospital in Athens. The conditions in the hospital are appalling; overcrowding, lack of amenities, poor food and only basic medication. The inmates finally rebel, resulting in their exile to Spinalonga, a leper colony just across the water from Yannis’s home village. This book tells the heart rendering account of his life on the small island, his struggle for survival his loves and losses along with that of his family on the mainland from 1918 to 1979. All the events described are true. The school teacher who became the Mayor of Heraklion is entirely fictitious, as are all the characters.

The other books carry on with the other family members the second one being Anna his sister which I have just finished reading and is also a cant put it down book.  I have just ordered the third in the series Giovanni.

You can only buy these from Waterstones or direct from the publisher and they are £7.99 each but are excellent but you do need to read them in order as they refer back to the ones before.

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
sunshinegirl
You will have tonyco after you having your name on so many threads, or have you had permission  :)

Offline shelly

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
I was lucky enough to read this book whilst staying in Elounda and my balcony actually over looked Spinalonga. Though i must admit i think i would still have enjoyed the book as much if i had been lying in bed at home. Hope you enjoy it too.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni