Author Topic: Cardiac hill?  (Read 12862 times)

Offline mike30542

• View Profile
Cardiac hill?
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
I get a little "worried" when people mention cardiac hill & steep climbs because although we are staying at Little Prince (which I believe is not up a mountain) we would like to visit some of the other accommodation mentioned in these forums  (Tereza's & Romanza for example and  Akrotiri cafe). On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being flat & 10 being almost perpendicular) how steep are these climbs & should they be attempted by a 70 year old who has no mountaineering boots or climbing ropes? Lol.

don

Re: Cardiac hill?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »
As someone the wrong side of 60 and a not too distant ex-smoker I've never had a problem walking out of the village at either end. Just take your water, your time, your sunscreen and a hat and you'll be fine.

Offline justonemore

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:38 AM »
My parents came with us to Teresa's last year, aged 78 and 74!  They took their time and had no problems. Sure you'll be fine.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
Little Prince has the only lift in the village, so you'll be fine there!

North or south, it's not a long way up - just pace it nicely. Gillie and I usually stop for a cigarette break now and then. We find that helps.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:23:38 AM »
Wherever you go there is usually somewhere to stop off for a breather and a drink. In Teresa for the last few years we have met a wonderful old couple and they manage just fine by taking there time and not rushing anywhere. He is nearly 80 and she will be in her 70s. San Stefanos is not to be rushed so just take your time and enjoy  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

YANNIS26

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi Mike
The term cardiac hill is slightly misleading.You and I are about the same age and I have no problem with the hill.I have stayed at the Romanza for the last 12 years and tackle the hill at least twice a day.It is true the Romanza is situated high above the village.The hill itself does not take a direct route but weaves up the hillside. This cuts the gradient dramatically.So pace yourself and the so called cardiac hill should not be a major problem.In my opinion a visit to the Romanza is worth the climb if only for the magnificent views from its pool area of the offshore islands.
Add to this the Sunday night Greek Night which I believe is well worth the climb.A bonus of the evening visit must be the amazing sunsets.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:50:38 AM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
Actually in the old days Cardiac Hill was the description for the hill road from Summer Dreams / juice bar  - - up to the top of the headland and Akrotiri Bar.
Parts of this hill really are steep but manageable, (first 150 metres), just do it a bit at a time, once past Tsaros Poolbar, the road is not quite as steep and a slow pleasant walk.

Somehow over the years, the term Cardiac Hill seemed to transfer to the main road to Romanza, and as the others state - is not as bad as it looks or sounds.

If the going gets tough - stop for a restful drink or coffee half way - going back down is easy!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
I would say they are both about a six or seven take a break on the way up to get your breath back,it is easier to go up early morning or early evening when the sun is not to hot . The views are worth the effort.  :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
I agree Andrew, we stayed in the Moros Apartments one year, just under Tsaros, and it was a killer in the sun, coming back from the beach especially,
but early or late when it's a bit fresher out, not a real problem  - - and you get used to it after 2 weeks.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
We didnt find it that hard - the first bit up to Kapitanios is the worst then its not so steep. Mind you it was after midnight every night and we had 'enjoyed the evenings' ha!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
For anyone staying at the Romanza there are a couple of short cuts if theyre still open. One is across the gardens/pool area of the apartments next to the Romanza, down the steps and through the gate. Then maybe stop and have a drink at Tereza and go through that complex....takes a couple of bends off

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »
That short cut is definately no longer there - believe me we looked for one!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
Wonder if they got wise then and locked the gate? It was the apartments immediately on the right as you left the Romanza car park? Across the pool and keep walking, stepp dip with some steps at the bottom and out of the gate?!

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »
Yeah niether of those have been there for a while, it's the highway or no way  :)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
The gate was definitely locked last year!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni