Author Topic: Norwich Airport Development Fee  (Read 16309 times)

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Norwich Airport Development Fee
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
 Does anyone use Norwich Airport to fly to Corfu with Thomson ?   If so what are the feelings of the 100% increase in the Airport Development Fee ( A D F )
 It was introduced a few years ago at £3.00 but soon went up to £5.00  and from Jan 2012 will be £10.00  Have they reached the point were customers from South Norfolk will consider to travel from Stansted ?
  As we live at North Norfolk  Norwich Airport is only a 30 min drive away  We may find its cheaper for four people to fly from Stansted for a cheaper holiday and better flight times
    Despite several  years of A D F and many millions raised , passengers do not have a bus to take them to the plane and on return have to queue outside for passport control   !

Adventure before dementia

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich Airport Development Fee
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »
I was on a plane from Humberside to Heathrow many years ago - used to use it to get to meetings and back - Shorts SS30 SkyVan. The route used stop at Norwich on the way.

"Landing gear down light" wouldn't come on, so the captain declared an air emergency, and we flew in circles over the airport at about 5,000 feet for an hour to waste fuel. We made passes at low level past the tower so they could look at the undercarriage through binoculars. It's hard to see on those planes because there's only about two feet difference between the wheels being down or up inside the cowls. Captain duly reported to us that they couldn't be certain either way and they were putting a light aircraft up to have a closer look.

I was looking out of my window and this nice twin engine Cessna arrived and flew in formation close to us. It had "Norwich Union Insurance" in large letters down the side. They never give up, do they?

No better information, so we dumped the rest of our fuel over the fields of carrots and cabbages, and came in for an emergency landing. The young stewardess was almost in tears as she shouted "Brace, Brace,Brace!" The plane came in very gently and delicately kissed the runway a few times. I could see lines of fire engines poised to come and cut us out of the flaming wreckage.

We landed safely. The undercarriage was down and locked, but the "locked" light in the cockpit had blown.

Twenty-four gas-rig workers and one writer emerged into the terminal, heading straight for the bar. "Give us some large scotches!" the cry went up. The unfortunate bloke behind the bar said it was too early to serve alcohol at nine the morning. Rig-workers and writers share a common dislike of jobsworth barmen denying them a drink after a narrow escape from a flaming death. Two rig guys jumped over the bar and started handing out large scotches to the survivors, shouting "Charge this to the * airline, you * stupid *!"

We got back on the plane (how brave is that?) and flew to Heathrow with the undercarriage down. And several bottles of scotch and glasses - and supped our way to Heathrow. Nobody dared to stop us.

Maybe your charges are really to cover the costs of the substantial amounts of whisky it's possible to get down when you realise you haven't died and still have to go to the bloody meeting!  

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »
Tenbeech, we use Norwich a few times a year. The APD is yet another stealth tax for the benefit of Omniport, as we all pay extra to Thomson/whoever on the holiday to fly from there. I have not seen ANY airport improvement the last two years, and prior to that a few plasma screens and stud walls seem to be the extent of it. I sent a letter of complaint to the laughably called Chief Exec when it went up from £3 to £5, and he did not even have the grace to reply.
    Having said that, we find it is still cheaper to use Norwich (our daughter drops/collects us) than to go to Stansted. Norwich car park which used to be £5 a week has rocketed since NCP took over and it is on a par with all the rest, and with petrol in my car would use 5 gallons. Take into account I could have a drink on the plane and not abstain if driving and I am indoors in 30 minutes, we still use Narrich. But the APD is a stinker and as we all know anything brought in will ALWAYS go up. At least having booked twice for 2012 already, they have 'graciously' decided that I do not have to pay the exorbitant increase!! Nice little place though without all the push and shove and cattleherding of the others, but a surfeit of 'Passenger Service' ladies that stand around clacking to each other- usually 6 to 8 and only 2 or 3 do anything.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
Perhaps they could reduce the ladies via another letter or an open letter all get together and complain ???????

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
Perhaps they could reduce the ladies...

Nothing like a good Norfolk fried breakfast!

Offline DavidFid

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
We live in Diss on the Norfolk / Suffolk border and always chose between Stansted and Norwich on price alone, our 2011 holiday to Corfu was £100 per head cheaper from Stansted but Norwich is £50 cheaper for 2012 - similar dates, same destination. We factor in the development fee. The journey time difference is about 20 mins or less if the Norwich ring road is clogged. 

Wouldn't want the airport choice to get get smaller absolutely hate the journey to and the experience of Gatwick.

Our eldest son travels to Trondheim on a regular basis, at one time Norwegian flew direct from Stansted which was great, however since the economic downturn they have merged the Stansted and Gatwick services and of course just fly from Gatwick, a real pain.

Lets encourage local services and fight against the increasing "Londoncentric" nature of the this country.

Offline hain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
Hi, having booked a holiday to corfu for next year, was really fed up to hear that norwich has upped its so called development fee to £10, it was now going to cost my party an extra £60, for what reason i have no idea has having travelled several times from norwich airport cannot really see what they are using the money for, but was pleased to receive a letter from thomson, who we booked with stating that as long as we had booked our holiday before 27th september 2011 and departing after 3rd january 2012 would only have to pay the £5 fee so long as we have proof of booking the holiday before this date. Do not know if this applies to everybody that has booked a holiday or flight from norwich airport but if you have booked before the 27th september and have not been told this it would be worth while checking to see if it applies to you as well, good luck!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »
I wonder if other Airports will also use this scam as well??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:13:49 AM »
Only ones I can find are Newquay and Knock (in Ireland). The Indian Supreme Court ruled that Delhi and Mumbai could NOT charge a fee.

I would think that most airports cover this in their landing fees and operators build that into their costs.

Norwich Airport is owned by Omniport, which says it has a portfolio of regional airports - ermm - yes: Norwich and Maastricht! Norwich City Council own 19.9% after they sold most of it to Omniport.

Best info I can get on Omniport is that they lost £5.5 million last year. So that's where the money's going!

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
How cynical of you Jimbo     Surely  the money is going to develop the airport ! !     

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:47 AM »
Sorry to seem cynical. Omniport has major venture capitalist investors. Their bonuses need to be ensured.

What does Norwich need? It's got a long bit of concrete for take-off and landing and some terminal buildings. Oh - they want to build more shops, maybe.

If I were a local resident I would demand to know exactly what development I was paying for. Updating the radar is one thing - at the moment I gather they have a boy or girl on work-experience waving a picture of Delia at the end of the runway - but if it's just the usual over-priced Kosta rubbish "facilities" I'd be inclined to start a local revolt.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »
Ahem, Costa......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
Whoops! I hate coffee.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »
Most of the stuff available in there now is grossly overpriced. Jim did you have a look at Companies House??
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

Just been speaking to a friend who flew in from Edinburgh  and he calls the A D F  the Get Out OF Norfolk tax or the GOON tax !

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni