Author Topic: Baggage allowances  (Read 12955 times)

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Baggage allowances
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
I've just been reading our TC ticket booklet, and notice that it
states that the maximum baggage weight for an individual bag is 30kg.
Our personal allowance is 15kg each
Has anyone here ever just combined two allowances in one bag?
I remember in Majorca a few years ago, the Spanish airport people wouldn't accept one bag for two people.
Has anyone here done this for Corfu?
Our individual bags are usually half empty, and are each big enough to take both of our stuff.
It would mean we have around 4kg extra to use.(The weight of the extra empty bag).

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Baggage allowances
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
Thomsons maximum weight is 23 kilos so I would check on your airport website to see what they allow as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Iris

We just returned last week. Our large case was 26kg. The two smaller ones were around 10 kg each, keeping our total combined within limits for three passengers. No questions were asked about the big case at either airport. We flew from Edinburgh. Hope this helps.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
This baggage allowance issue is very confusing.

When travelling to Tenerife on 1st May 2011 (with Thomson) we were told by Swissport (at Thomson's check in desk) that a new 25Kg allowance started that day.

The Thomson reps at our hotel knew nothing about this when we arrived and it was only after a week that they did receive notification from Thomson that the maximum allowance was now 25Kg.  I have a copy of their notification showing this with me as I am posting this reply.

I also checked with the Spanish check in desk on our return and they confirmed the same (25Kg max).

On contacting various Thomson branches today they say that the allowance is as stated in their brochures
(23 Kg maximum)

On other websites ie Flybe it's 30Kg maximum.

The best of luck to anyone who can get a definitive answer!!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
Iris, similar  to Jules we flew last week with Thompsons from Newcastle who allow 20 k PP with a new advised max of 23k in any one case. 30k seems a lot in this day and age of health and safety etc. I could be mistaken but I recall most airport handlers  had a maximum weight of 28k a couple of years ago, bags around this weight had the red HEAVY stickers placed on them to alert the handlers. As always we were asked how many bags we were checking in,  suggesting many groups may travel with less than one bag each? Our bags  were quite heavy this year as we were self catering so we used our hand luggage maximum 5k. 2 of the 3 bags were x rayed twice and hand checked by security, no problems but I dont think I will carry as much in the cabin in future.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
Fly with Easyjet Sellsy and get unlimited hand luggage weight allowance!!

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
I've checked the airport websites for Glasgow and Gatwick, and they both say the baggage weight limit is a matter for the airline.
Anyone querying this subject is given the airline telephone number.
I've re-checked the ticket booklet and it is definitely 30kg, so I think we'll just chance it. We probably won't have the full 30, but
it would be nice to know we could if we had to.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »
Just remember you will have to lift the case as well so be careful.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
Oh no, that's Duncan's job!!!

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
All

Baggage allowance (and life) isn't an exact science so if collared, then fondly wave the money goodbye and I bet it comes rushing back to you with open arms. Treat it like a prisoner and it will never come back.

LS

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
Hi Iris,

Just checked with the Rep.  Your luggage allowance is 15kg each.  If you are combining your luggage allowance, you will need to notify TC in advance, or else you may be charged for each kilo over the 15kg allowance. I would call them well in advance of your departure date and get an email from them confirming that you have a combined baggage allowance.

See you in a few weeks
Suzy

joan

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
Manchester are very strict with their allowances, this year we've bought a holdall so to split extra  allowance bought equally into three pieces of luggage after dealing with a very snotty jobsworth last year who made us take token things out of the cases and put into our hand luggage.
I don't think Thomsons made it as clear last year as to the max weight of each case and that you could take more than one piece of  hold luggage. If anyone remembers they used to stipulate only one piece of hold luggage per person. I think it's best to double check with the operater each time you go away as they seem to change from year to year.

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:10 PM »
I'll phone Thomas Cook to check, then get it in writing
if we decide to go down that route, thanks for all the advice.
By the way, Suzy, are you still hankering after tattie scones etc?

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
I've just spoken to the airline who "absolutely guaranteed" that
you can combine the luggage allowance as long as it doesn't exceed 30kg.
So, Suzy, if we arrive with only half our clothes, you'll know why!
See you on the 29th.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
If you arrive with only half your clothes, please post some pictures on facebook!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni