Author Topic: prepaid MasterCard  (Read 9376 times)

Offline martin B

• View Profile
prepaid MasterCard
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »
i normally take just cash but have been looking at maybe taking a mix of a card and cash has anyone used the prepaid MasterCard and are they widely accepted   

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: prepaid MasterCard
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
It should be as lots of restuarants and shops accept MasterCard credit card. Of nobody on here knows for definite I'd drop an email to San Stefano Travel and ask if its staff know. Anybody?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »
Little Prince - dunno about others, but I expect so.

Offline Cerys

• Global Moderator
  • SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
Hi all. The mastercard pre-paid cards seem to be accepted anywhere that would ordinarily accept credit cards. You can also use the card to book trips etc when paying by card. You may incur a 2% charge for using the card in some venues. We have discussed this topic previously under the heading Travel Mastercard so you may wish to see what advise was given within that discussion.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »

All these tavernas/restaurants take Visa/Mastercard credit cards without charging the usual 2% commission:

Little Prince
Romanza
2 Star
Mythica
Condor
Barras
Ozzy Oil

Nafsika take credit cards but charge 2% commission
Beachcomber do not take cards at all.

Prepaid Mastercards do have their advantages but also pitfalls (set up fees/possibly monthly admin fees/possibly fees for purchases or at ATM’s/fees for loading money etc)

See Moneyfacts website for more details

http://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/credit-cards/prepaid-cards-a-plastic-revolution/

Moneyfacts seem to recommend Kalixa Prepaid Mastercard as the best all rounder.

For me, I’ll stick to my trusty Nationwide, Post Office and Santander Zero “no commission” credit cards (there are others).

See my posting under “Exchange Rates” for the enhanced type of exchange rate you can get by using them.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Smart move Kathryn, the Euocard is used extensively on the continent. Exchange rate u got beats what u get in resort.

joan

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
Has anyone who's been to  SS lately know if the ATM that was in Thomas Bay is operating and how reliable is it at present? I have a pre-paid mastercard which worked well in Fuerteventura because of the abundance of banks
I'm just weighing up pro's and cons of loading some on it and  bringing it with me or do the usual  cash/TCs, I don't really want to have to go to Avliotes /Arillas if it's unreliable, any news would be helpful thanks.
Thanks  also for the list of restaurants that take cards I'll keep a note of them.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:21 AM »
Was the one in Arillas removed last year?
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
FairFX and ICE are still probably offering the best exchange rate. I was very pleased with ICE's service, both for cash and prepaid. When I phoned up with a query I spoke to a pleasant, friendly and helpful woman who knew what she was talking about!

joan

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »
Yes  Jules T you're right, I'd forgotten that, just checked out the Arillas forum, seems most people use the one in SS or go to Avliotes.
Some people mentioned that SS runs out of cash, so  maybe that's half the problem of reliability. I might just stick to the usual method but still very useful to know some tavernas take cards.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »
I used the atm in Avliotes last week. Never used the one at TB.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni