Author Topic: Athina Hotel - Double rooms possible problem???  (Read 12865 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Athina Hotel - Double rooms possible problem???
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »
Does anyone know this or if anyone is there - can you ask Olga on the Athina Hotel Reception, exactly how many rooms do not have a Balcony!
I am worried as I have their brochure which says 44 rooms all with balcony, and the Thomsons website info says 39 rooms & that 2 of the double rooms don't have a Balcony.
I booked 3 rooms there last November - via Thomson's - for this August, my son preferred a double room
I know he'll blow a fuse if he gets a room with no balcony - an important part of the holiday accommodation - as his wife smokes and needs the balcony to do so!
He gets claustrophobia as well so I am trying to find out in advance if we have a problem - Thomson's were no help at all.

I just wonder what information is correct as having stayed there before and always had a balcony - I am now confused and concerned!
I did ring the hotel but the Manageress was on and did not understand me.
I just hope that sods law won't hit us having paid so much money out for 6 Adults and two children!
Any help appreciated!
Tony & Linda

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Athina Hotel - Double rooms possible problem???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
Can you not ask the T.Op to add it as a request?  Do they not have different prices for with or without balcony, worth asking them? Try a google (sure you have already search)  and will see if they have an email you could drop them an email.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »
Hi Tony, there is a recent review on trip advisor regarding the rooms with no balconies.
I remember when we stayed there a couple of years ago a couple were complaining that they had paid for a sea view and were not very happy that they had no balcony, don't think I would be either if I had paid the extra.
Could you try emailing Olga and see if she can help you out?
Just to add looking at the photo of the  Athina you can see that there are 7 rooms with a balcony and 2 without on upper floor.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:11:14 PM by lilly »

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »
Hi Tony,

If you can, try to call back later.  Olga usually starts work at 3pm - 1am Greek time.

Hope this helps.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »
When we stayed - top floor - we went with our daughter and husband - at top of the stairs they turned left and their bedroom was there - double with an absolute HUGE balcony, then here was a double rm with NO balcony and then ours was next, twin with balcony.  I e mailed Athina direct to make sure that we had balconies as someone I knew booked double witrh sea view - which is exacyl
y what they got - but no balcony.  Good luck Tony.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:59:15 AM »
The Problem is that I took a brochure from the Athina last year  - in it it say's, 44 rooms all with balcony, so when I booked I initially booked 2 standard rooms,
I thought that meant without paying extra for a sea view.
I booked (last November), 1 x twin with extra bed for our grandson and 1 x double with cot space for my son and his wife and 1+year old (my grandaughter),
a double as my son and Rita prefer that.
Then in feb, I booked another room - twin for Rita's sister and her friend.
The tickets arrived & described the new room as with balcony, not the others.
I then checked the Thomson's website and that says 39 rooms 2 doubles without balcony, that sent alarm bells ringing so I emailed Olga, who said email a week before.
But - - no explanation as to the likelihood of a balcony.
Thomson's not helpful, said " well you can cancel" which really pissed me off!
I asked a couple of friends to go and ask, but no real answers.
I really just want to know how many rooms exactly - do not have a balcony - so I can work out my chances!
I will send another email and I will get Thomsons to send a request - but requests are just that unfortunately.
When I booked  - the Girl, (lovely person) did not know the hotel, but said - yes all will have balcony's, now her snotty colleague say's we may not get a balcony.
After asking for baloney's when I booked, I expect to get them, but who knows - and it cost £5.5K so I hope so!
Olga knows us well as we have stayed before - but not sure if she will associate with my name on an email, which is why I hoped someone would have a chat with her for me.
I may be worrying for nothing - but I hope to get balcony's which I regard as essential.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
I'll ask Lauren, the rep, to look into it tomorrow. That way you can go through "channels."

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Thanks Jimbo - appreciated.

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
We stayed at the Athina last May.  Having stayed before we asked for the same type of room (or so we thought) a double with a sea view.  We did get a double with a sea view, unfortunately there was no balcony.  We would liken this room to a cell with a window.  We had paid extra for the sea view, no-one told us you had to request a balcony.  The Thomsons rep was of no help whatsoever, saying we got what we paid for!!  According to her you had to state exactly what you wanted i.e. balcony & sea view etc etc.  We complained to Thomsons both in resort and on our return.  No help whatsoever.  We would advise you to check this out before you go, don't want to be stuck in the same cell as we were :D  Hope you have a great stay anyway.  The staff at the hotel are great, just think Thomsons can be misleading/unhelpful at times.  We are going back at the end of August, staying in Teresa's this time.  Hopefully no mix up there.

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
Having just read Andrew's post, the best thing to do Tony is check you invoice to see what you have requested.  If it only says sea view, I would do an amendment booking requesting a balcony, as you may well end up with one of the rooms with a sea view and without a balcony.  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
I've spoken to Lauren - Thomsons rep - and she was as helpful as she could be. She suggests getting the booking revised to ensure that BL is on the details. She checked with Olga, and there are two rooms with no balcony.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
Hi Andrew - are you self catering at Teresa or B&B.
Teresa has been our choice for the past 11 holidays and we can never fault it. We always stay in the self catering apartments as you have a view over the pool and towards the sea. Fantastic for watching the sunset
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 01:26:39 AM »
Hi Jules T

We are going self catering.  Can't wait,  We will be there at the same time as yourself as we are there for two weeks from 26 August.  Looking forward to the sunset from the pool bar.  Have heard they do a good greek night at Teresas, will be giving that a try :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:36:15 AM »
Jim, Thanks for the PM message, reply sent.
I cannot change the booking as such, according to the shop I booked in, tickets already issued etc etc.
printed in the ticket booklet. They say talk to the hotel, they will also send a request (which means nothing!).
My only hope is Olga and the rep now to make certain my holiday is not spoilt.

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Jim, Thanks for the PM message, reply sent.
I cannot change the booking as such, according to the shop I booked in, tickets already issued etc etc.
printed in the ticket booklet. They say talk to the hotel, they will also send a request (which means nothing!).
My only hope is Olga and the rep now to make certain my holiday is not spoilt.

Have been and checked our booking forms as we have had this holiday booked for over 15 monts,there are 15 of us going in 5 rooms and thankfully all say limited sea view with balcony,we fly out on the 19th august,1st visit for all of us,hope you get it sorted out tony.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni