Author Topic: Well I Can See Why You All Love Agios Stefanos  (Read 32060 times)

Gavlah1973

Re: Well I Can See Why You All Love Agios Stefanos
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Agree Don......if I was a man of pleasure, an international man of mystery and intrigue like you, and I was in a position to have 4 hols a year then San Stef would probably be one of them most years.  :D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
We also have at least 3 holidays a year, so Ag. Stefanos is always one we go back to for the same reasons as Don really!
We are made to feel part of the Ag.Stefanos Family - - and enjoy being so!
We save up and spend it on holidays!!

However, we are not rich!! - my Salary is OK - but we save money by not smoking - (most smokers can smoke a holiday away each year),
we only drink a little and don't go to pubs, but while we don't go out as often as we would like, owing to my shift work, we still enjoy a social life, so money is saved.
Free travel is a perk of my job, for the two of us, so we save again there!
I never buy a new car - the first year depreciation saved and not lost pays for another holiday!
I get a uniform suit so clothes are not an urgent weekly buy, we tend to spend smartly and shop around - it all adds up and pays for an extra holiday each year.

We also went through the rough times when we could not think of a holiday in our early marriage, in fact we had weeks where we lived on beans on toast!
You kind'a appreciate not chucking money away then!

I expect I will have to plan wisely when the pension starts - - but Ag.Stefanos is never boring and we have seen most of the world!
We always compare - Ag. Stefanos has a feel good factor that's hard to beat!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »
I think Tony's right. It all comes down to what you want. For a beach holiday, it's pretty hard to beat Ag.Stef. For a sight-seeing holiday, go when it's cool to Venice or wherever.

We've also been to a lot of places. Seen a lot of hot old stones. Admired the statues. Viewed the paintings. Queued for galleries. Trudged the streets of Moscow and Leningrad in the snow. Been to beaches all over Greece. Seen the Greek National Theatre at Epidavros.

It's been a hard winter, and the best place I've found so far to just crash out and relax is...

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
Amazing, a real tribute to Ag Stef and not one mention of those Ukranian burds anywhere  :-*

don

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
Amazing, a real tribute to Ag Stef and not one mention of those Ukranian burds anywhere  :-*

ROFL

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Ha! Beware Thanassis when he suggests 'the drinking game'.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Kathryn - You're not a saddo and you're not rambling. If you find somewhere you really like, why not go back? Love is not a series of one-night stands.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
Kathryn

You're not a saddo....each to their own. I personally couldnt just go to one place for ever. I did put in my post that I appreciate that holidays cost a lot and people dont want to risk a lot of money on what could be a crap holiday. If I carry on being as lucky as I am with my employment, earning decent sales bonuses etc then I can prob afford 2 big hols a year. San Stef will probably feature at least once every other year as we did love it.
However, personally, if I only got chance for one big hol a year then I'd have to cast my net wider to experience different cultures etc. That's just me (and my wife!) we're all different.

I must have been very lucky as I dont think I've ever had a bad holiday! Some better than others yes, but never a bad one! I do a lot of research...forums like this are great to find out things. I also religiously check Trip Advisor and also use their forums to get a feel for the place and decide whether it's for me.

I was with a customer today (aged about 50) who normally holidays in Frigiliana in Spain (really quiet village with just Spanish bars and restaurants) she said that this year she'd decided to holiday in Greece as she'd never been. She'd booked somewhere on the recommendation of her 23yo niece.....guess where she's going.....Malia!!!!!! That was the only advice she got....didnt do any research at all! She's even stopping where here niece stopped which is right on the main strip!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »
I think that SS is a lovely and friendly place but there are other places that can become special too.
This year we visited Thassos for the first time due to the fact that we are doing our house up so needed to spend less this year on our holiday and we got a great deal to Thassos, Ł400+ cheaper than the accomodation we wanted to stay at in SS, so we went with Thassos due to the money situation. We researched the resort and apartments before booking, this is something that we always do and have never had a bad holiday.
Before we went I felt like we had opted for second best and was very apprehensive however our fears were totally unfounded and we really enjoyed our holiday and in fact it was the best holiday we have ever had[never thought I would be saying that]. Everyone was just so friendly, helpful and the beach was pure white sand with crystal clear waters and uncrowded, lovely tavernas too, free sunbeds for the price of a drink on the beach and Wall to wall sunshine during our two weeks stay The owners of our apartments were so friendly, we had at least four free drinks a night[hardly paid for any], there was no pharmacy in resort and hubby needed something so the owner made a phone call to one of his staff in the next village and within an hour they had brought what my husband needed and refused point blank to let us pay for it, that is just one example of their kindness towards us and other holiday makers. We swapped email addresses with the owner who said he would give us the same room next year if we wanted. So there are friendly and lovely places everywhere if you are lucky enough to find them.
We will visit SS again though because it is a lovely and friendly place and like others have said if you have found somewhere that you love and are happy visiting the same place every year then of course you should, holidays should be what we want them to be, it is a personal choice. I have got to agree  with Gavlah though in that going to one place forever is not everyones cup of tea and that we are all different.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:07:44 PM by lilly »

joan

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »
Lilly where did you stay in Thassos? We have heard that it is very good and at some point may give it a go. This year we went to Fuerteventura and stayed in Correlejo (thanks Gavlah you were spot on) we had a really enjoyable stay and will go back again.It's good to see another side of life, however the draw of SS is still there we like many are now into our 20th year..... it's the feeling of belonging, you know that as soon as you land and breathe the air.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
We are going for our 8th visit to SS on 1st July.  We are lucky enough to have 3 holidays per year, but SS is what we call our 'chilling out' holiday!  We have been to several other Greek islands.  My first with John was Lesvos, which we loved.  It was very similar to SS with the 'family like' atmosphere.  We did return there after 2 years, but it was not as good as the first time.  We can't pull ourselves away from SS at the moment but who knows if we may get fed up with it someday!!  I think from our point of view, it is obviously the friendly atmosphere but also the feeling of safety in the resort.  I would not like to see too many changes in the resort, as I think it could easily be spoilt for some of us.  Anyway, 6 more sleeps for us, if I can manage to sleep!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:10:32 PM by Karen »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 02:32:59 AM »
We loved Thassos too.  We stayed in Golden Beach.  Everyone was so friendly and relaxed.  The food is fab.  Thassos town just the right size.  Easy to get all round the island - 99k.  Thassos is simply Greece at its best I think.  Oh and the OLive Oil is definitely the very best.

When I was on the ferry going over - I felt like Shirley Valentine - it was FAB!

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
loving all the great comments , we going back on 25th July for 2 weeks , aint been for 2 years and cant wait !! staying at Nondas (very reasonable with free transfers included ) usually stay at spiradoula but late booking meant no availability . looking forward to seeing everyone and the kids are so excited . usual large crowd of our family arriving and staying in numerous places, nites in silver star , condor , 3w on its way and of course great food in any 1 of 20 tavernas...

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
Welcome to the forums thejoneses. Sounds like you have your fab time already planned out :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Gavlah1973

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
Joan

Glad you liked Fuerte! I've been around 7 times, last time being a couple of years ago. Another place where I dont think I've had a bad meal!! There's a great steakhouse on the main st about halfway up called El Loco, one of the waiters has the biggest handlebar tash I've ever seen!

Lilly

Sounds great, I might have to give Thassos a go next year!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni