Author Topic: panic stations at Athinas latest review  (Read 10825 times)

Offline brownie5

• View Profile
panic stations at Athinas latest review
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »
Hello everyone nice to be reading about all your adventures I have just read a disturbing review on the hotel we are going to tomorrow THE ATHINA any replies to calm me down abit do first timers get the worst rooms and is the waiter George a tyrant please help a damsel in distress PS what made it worst SS EXPERT Tony Cox only went there once WHY? BYE ::)

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: panic stations at Athinas latest review
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
hope this isnt the case as we are going there next aug,please let us know how you get on,cant see that being the case as how would anyone ever return again lol

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
also have you read the post immediatley below it cant praise the athina highley enough,and both families were there at the same time lol

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »
Hello everyone nice to be reading about all your adventures I have just read a disturbing review on the hotel we are going to tomorrow THE ATHINA any replies to calm me down abit do first timers get the worst rooms and is the waiter George a tyrant please help a damsel in distress PS what made it worst SS EXPERT Tony Cox only went there once WHY? BYE ::)
Athina is great, but we have strong ties with people in Thomas Bay, good hotel, don't worry.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline dianeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
Hi, Just come back from a week at the Athina, it was our 4th time there and it was just as nice as ever, so dont worry. Most people that stay there are repeat clients so if it was bad would they all return.

Everyone is so friendly and I cannot understand why they would call George the waiter a tyrant, he is lovely.Always ready to help, if there is nothing on the menu you like he will offer omelettes or chicken without the sauce etc.

Rooms are spotless, towels changed every day, beds made everyday too. The only downside I could possible think of is that the carpets are looking a bit faded, but hey does that matter, at least it makes it quieter if you are below someone with 'heels'.

You will have a great time, the pool is fabulous, and just beyond that you are on the gorgeous beach, I would give it 10 out of 10 every time.

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
Hi, Just come back from a week at the Athina, it was our 4th time there and it was just as nice as ever, so dont worry. Most people that stay there are repeat clients so if it was bad would they all return.

Everyone is so friendly and I cannot understand why they would call George the waiter a tyrant, he is lovely.Always ready to help, if there is nothing on the menu you like he will offer omelettes or chicken without the sauce etc.

Rooms are spotless, towels changed every day, beds made everyday too. The only downside I could possible think of is that the carpets are looking a bit faded, but hey does that matter, at least it makes it quieter if you are below someone with 'heels'.

You will have a great time, the pool is fabulous, and just beyond that you are on the gorgeous beach, I would give it 10 out of 10 every time.

thats great to hear as we are off to the athina next aug,1st time though so hope they are kind to us lol

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:11:05 AM »
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:53 PM »
We stayed at the Athina a couple of weeks ago through Thompsons .
We were there last year and the room we got was nice balcony sea view
and well kept.
We asked for the same room this year paid extra for the seaview and on arrival
were shown to a room with no balcony ,it did have a seaview from a small window
which you can open.
This room is little better than a cell I hated it and made my feelings clear to the reception,
and the Thompson rep and the 24 hr hThompson help line.
The Hotel was full Thompson help line and rep are worse than useless .
3 days later we got moved to a room with a balcony but no seaview .
Angry letter to Thompsons no reply as yet
Apparently you should know the room has no balcony when you book it  ???
Maybe you need to take a lawyer down to the travel agent to go through the small
print.
I would say the staff in the hotel were all very nice uand helpfull
George is a kind of tounge in cheek guy not to intimidating at all.
To sum up hotel Athina is a nice hotel with good staff as long as you don't get
the cell you will enjoy your holiday.
Thompsons on the other hand  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »
Getting worried again , we have paid extra for a sea view and balcony through Thompsons, we travel on the 1st October for 2 weeks, will post experiences on return. :-\

Offline brownie5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »
Hi again justing posting on our trip to SS Its sad that there is a lot of difference in room standards here we were in the basement room and all of us newbies were in them.Other returning guests got lovely fresh bread for breakfast we didnt.We are all as important as each other and save hard for our break in the sun and should all be treated equally.If you like a soft pillow take one with you £1 from pound shop you wont be sorry.Beach and tavernas excellent you will have a good time but pray you dont get given a bunker room where the ground is at eye level.

Offline Andrew

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
Hi as long as it states on your paperwork you have a balcony there should be no issues.
San Stephanos is a smashing resort with the best Greek beach by far I have come across,and we have seen a lot
there are lots of nice tavernas ,we ate out most nights the locals are all freindly .
just wish it was me going.Yamas

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »
We only popped in here once for a pint after a day on the beach and on the way back to the Romanza. I'll make clear all we did was sit round the pool bar. My wife did try to go in and use the toilets but they were closed (it said at the request of guests??) and she eventually found the poolside loos. We obviously never saw a room etc.
The opinion I've formed is from sitting by the pool bar and nothing else so I might be being a bit harsh.
I thought the pool area to be ridiculously busy, by this I mean in the way of the noise etc. I think someone posted on here that they'd never seen a pool with so many lilo's in it! I'd agree! As I said in a previous post, we were grunted at by the supposed not so grumpy man at the pool bar when I went for a pint.
Now I could have caught it on a bad day and I do admit I didn't see enough to judge the hotel as a whole. I do however believe first impressions count and didnt get a great impression of the pool area. Probably great iif you've got kids. They'll make friends with other kids and you wont have to worry about entertaining them. After having stayed at the Romanza, and also used the pool/bar facilities at Thomas Bay, Teresa and Athina then I'd rank Athina at the bottom.

Only saying what I saw!!!  ;D

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »
We are very wary about package holidays through tour operators, we have had bad experiences before with Thomas Cook in Side, Turkey, and switched to Thomsons to see if they were any better, this is why we are apprehensive about our room allocation,TC said that  the hotel was responsible for room allocation, allegedly not their fault, I agree that all visitors should be treated equally, we all start somewhere, nobody should get preferential treatment.
If you went to a car showroom to buy a red 4 door car, and they said you could only have a white 2 door,when you had paid for the other one, you would kick off pretty sharpish, and so will we, they take your money for these extra's, they should be delivered, no question.
maybe the situation will not happen, I hope not.!! :P

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni