Author Topic: SUNSET TAVERNA  (Read 13992 times)

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
SUNSET TAVERNA
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi all

We went to San Stefanos for the first time this year and stayed at the Sunset Taverna   We had a fantastic holiday and coulnt fault it and had one of the best holidays ever.  Sprios and Maria and their family really looked after us, as they did all their guests.  Nothing was too much trouble for them.  The rooms were extremely clean with plenty of clean towels.  The beds were very comfy. Sprios picked us up from the airport and arranged transport back for us.
The restaurant seemed to be very quiet but I think it is because it is at the end of Stan Stefanos and people either pass it on the way in or out.  It is a shame as the food is excellent, the surroundings are fantastic and Sprios and his family go the extra mile to please you. You wont be disappointed if you go.
The rest of our holiday was really good.  We enjoyed all of the restaurants we visited Zorbas, Mythica, Olympic, Little Prince, Sunset Taverna  but the two we least enjoyed were Ozzy Oils (the singing on the bbq night was a bit too much for us) and Nafisca - we found the food to be really salty at Nafisca but that may of just been the chef on the night as I know from the reviews this always gets a good review but all our food was salty and that of the other people on the table opposite us.
We had a fantasic night at Teresa's BBq probably the best BBq we have been to in the Greek Isles.
The beach was really good but it was quite windy when we were there and really easy to walk to from the Sunset Taverna - no steep hills.We did a lot of the walks over to Arillis, Olive Groves and even walked to Afionias and went to the restaurant Dionysis (think that is how it is spelt). The views were breathtaking and the food fantastic. We met lots of lovely people whilst we were there.  we will definitely be back next year - got the bug now like most of you!! :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:46:49 PM by sunshinegirl »

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: SUNSET TAVERNA
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Hi sunshine, we are definetly going to try the sunset for evening meals this year. I think you are right about the location, perhaps they need to think about some new marketing ploys to encourage the customers.
We have visited the restaurant in Afionas when we were staying in agios Georgios N. in 2006, brilliant views and lovely food. That was one hot day when we were there.
Thanks for the review.

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Hi Lilly

it was very hot when we were there and the guy at the hotel told us it would take ten minutes to walk down to the two beaches that are back to back at the bottom of a rocky path.  It actually took us 30 minutes to walk down there and 30 minutes back it was a long slog but wouldnt do it again especially as we didnt stay down there for more than 10 minutes.

I agree that the Sunset could do with a marketing ploy especially as the whole Taverna has been revampted.  The inside is especially lovely with all the stone work on the walls and the toilets are like something out of a topclass hotel. Well worth a visit!!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »
Sunshinegirl,

Are you refering to the twin bays at Porto Timo? We visited there, took us about 50 minutes because we went the wrong way at first. Had a nice swim when we got there though, the climb back up the hill was a killer due to the heat.
I am vegetarian[hubby not], do they do a nice selection of veggie meals at the Sunset? Also is the restaurant a combination of indoor and outdoor seating?
We are going on the 20th August and it can't come quick enough.

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
Hi Lilly

Yes that was the beach - we didnt swim but could have done with a swim but didnt take towels with us.

Yes the Sunset will do veggie meals - they will do most meals to accommodate and yes it is a combination of inside and outside seating.  It is also nice to sit and have a drink outside by the fountain.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
The sunset sounds really nice. We did walk past a few times during our last visit in 2008 but we stayed at Athina then and we were on half board, we did eat out a few times though but like most other people we just walked by the Sunset. We are self catering this time so I am looking forward to trying out different restaurants.

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
Hi Lilly - we always go self catering as we like to eat out.  Where are you staying this time?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »
tsaros apartments, up the steep hill. We like walking so it won't be a problem for us. Going to walk to Aviotes for a nice lunch, we tried it last time but hubby took us on a short cut??? we were chased by two dogs, frightened the life out of us since a few weeks earlier in the Uk we were chased by a pack of 8 dogs whilst out cycling, this time we will go via the road.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Hi Sunshinegirl. Glad you had a good time at The Sunset. We have never stayed there but always go for a meal during our holiday . Never had any bad meals there and the service is always very good as well. Looking forward to this years in 3 weeks time more than ever. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
  • 6th September. Staying at Jasmine pool bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi All. We are staying at the Sunset this year we go on the 20th.Last year we stayed at the Stamatis and the year before we stayed across the road from the sunset in Cathy,s appartments.Sunshinegirl are the beds soft as i have a back problem and cannot sleep on a hard bed ,i was going to buy a sheet of foam to take with us but will not bother if the beds are comfy.
                         Thanks Sunshine :)

Offline sunshinegirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi Sunshine - From what I remember the room we were in they were not too soft and not too hard just right really but if it is of any help my husband suffers from a bad back and his back was fine whilst we were there and we both slept really well.  Wish we were going back again this year but we are going to book definitely for next year - you will love the Sunset they are really friendly - have a good time

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »
Thanks Sunshinegirl when we stayed in Cathy,s opposite sunset the appt was realy lovely but the beds were like concrete we had to fold the quilts in three to try and soften it. We know Spiros and Maria quite well as we tend to eat there quite often they are lovely people just wish more people would try it instead of walking passed.

Sunshine :)

joan

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Many years ago (19) it was heaving you used to have to be in by 8.30-9.00pm to get a seat this was before he did the Greek Nights. We and other people were often asked our opinons how he should run them as he was frazzled getting the orders out and dancing as well.
People who were in the Vicky and the Paralia, Olga and Marias (cheqs) all used to go to there, Casablanca ( run by the Aspra supermarket) or the Evinos around the corner. I think now it's just that there is more restaurants down the other end and people forget about the originals. I hope trade picks up for them.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
Joan, I would agree that lack of trade at the Sunset came about because of the many other restaurants opening in the centre of the village. I am sure there must be a way though to attract more customers, with the right marketing things could improve for them. Anyway, I am going to visit the Sunset this time.

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
May see you there Lily. when are you going to SS

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni