Author Topic: Essentials live from San Stef.....  (Read 10959 times)

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Essentials live from San Stef.....
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
Quick update folks for those flying out shortly....:)

Weather....absolutely scorchio, high 30s for last 8 days
Currency....115 euros after commission for 100 pound t/c
Set menus all range in the 8-9 Euro mark for 3 courses.
Airport taxi is 65 euro, 57 from Kapetanos if booked in advance

Greek night at Manthos was great fun - even had two old wrinklies frollicking au naturelle on the beach below us  :-*

Spiros and Donna have changed beach pitch, now at the Waves end. Donna tells us the beach shack was washed away in the storms and is now RIP in Davy Jones' locker.

Beach is much narrower ar Havana end but still wide enough for the rows of brollies.

The Mistral lunch recommendation was spot on, thanks to whoever suggested that.

Thanks to Don for coconut fishcurry recommendation at Beachcomber, it was fantastic.

Hope you all find this helpful

LoftyScot live from the TB Hotel Internet. 39 deg C today...wowwwww!

ps Groucho night at Olgas tonight, rock on Tommy

Gavlah1973

Re: Essentials live from San Stef.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »
You've now got me really giddy.

Been working in the Saddleworth area of Oldham today and all I saw on the M62 were airport taxis taking people to Manchester!

This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life.....feel like I could pop!

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »
Great report loftyscot, you have now got me in the holiday mode. roll on August 30th Yammas

don

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Loftyscot.... Don't normally go overboard as everyone's tastes differ but I could eat one now!

ex Blue Toon.......... Where are you from?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
Gavlah, these next 3 weeks will past quickly. See you on the plane, you said you are row five, I will be very close but will check out if you look normal before I approach. ;D ;D

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:05 AM »
Thanks for that Loftyscot - I want to be in SS NOW
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »
Nice report Loftyscot
Just one question, Spiros and Donna - is their pitch outside the Athina hotel or in front of waves?
if so where is Costas this year??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
Back home now!

Don - I'm not from the Blue Toon, originally from Glasgow but now in Crossford, just west of Dunfermline. Never been to BT but did spend a lovely week in Portsoy with my wife and Dad a few years back. I intend to golf up there in the next year or so.

Tony - Donna and Spiros have their station halfway between the stream and Mistral, more or less outside Waves. They said they wanted to try the "other end" and were pleased with how it was going. I'm not sure who Costas is but the brolly dolly at the Havana end is an older Greek woman whose children collect the money.

Everyone,

Other snippets,

There is a new bar opened on the cliff walk to Arillas called Akrotiri (or maybe Astotiri can't remember) It is stunning with cracking views over Arillas Bay to its front and San Stef bay to its rear. It opened at beginning of season and does serves food - although we only had drinks. For those needing directions, it's staight up the hill beyond Tsaros apts and Elpitha bistro, and turn left for 60 yds at cliff path to Arillas - a very spectacular and beautifully appointed pitstop.

If anyone fancies a trip to the Isle of Ericousa its worth it for a change scene and even slower pace of life. If there are serious walkers then the circuit of the island is 6 miles and although hilly it can be done. The main beach is very peaceful - fell asleep on it :) Even quieter beach is beyond that to the right as you sail into the harbour. We had a lovely lunch in the Oasis which was busy with locals - it was good to see the owner put his 10 year old boy on a moped with polly bag of 4 Mythos for the harbour workers. When he returned, part 2 of the task involved a repeat journey, this time with 4 filled baguetes...I liked the order of priority.

Anybody who is a fan of Zorbas should note the dancing is as good as ever, the food is still as tasty with Pavlos and Billy showing their usual impish sense of fun. If you are looking for Dimitra, dark haired girl who worked there last year, she now works in Havana in the evening - she's passed her accountancy exams and ready to make the world her own :)

Little Prince is as busy as ever with Dimitri still marshalling his troops to all his guests satisfaction - what a great man he is.

And finally some instances why we love San Stef and are going back to stay with Aristoula at Olgas next year....
1) Donna (the lounger) met us and said to my 8 year old son....."How is your new puppy that you were picking up the day after you got home last year?" Just how do she remember these details, it's beyond me.
2) Dimitra (ex Zorbas), she nearly accidentally chopped my hand off in in the ice cream box in Havana, after she apologised she recognised me and asked me how my son was by name, again how does she remember the name after a year and after six visits to Zorbas last year.
3) Olga's, Aristoula is the most perfect hostess. Keeps in the background, makes sure you want for nothing, plays peaceful quiet music that floats gently around the pool and treats all the other guests the same whether they be first timers or regulars. It's easy, lazy family fun with her.
4) Maria in Kappa travel. Quite simply amazing. We met her every day to cash a cheque. Last day, a gift from her to my family with beautiful card and address details to keep in touch.
5) and lastly, as I agreed with friends John and Maria and family whom we met up again with this year, all you do is, "just arrive in San Stefanos, switch it on and it works"

I've been blessed to travel to lots of places in the Med, USA, Asia, Caribbean where I've done my usual thing as I do in San Stef but SS is a place where the locals reciprocate by the bucket load. They make us feel welcome, humble and happy.

This was our 3rd visit and it works :)

Loftyscot, Fife

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
Thanks for the info loftyscot, and a lovely and interesting report!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline biglillypicker

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
can you tell me where is isle of ericousa and how to get there  cheers BLP
carefree where ever we may be

YANNIS26

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
can you tell me where is isle of ericousa and how to get there  cheers BLP
Ericusa Island can be visited from San Stefanos Harbour.Bookings made via San Stefanos Travel.Check out their web site/boat trips for details.The boat is called the Nearchos.The trip commences by following the Corfu coastline to pick up more passengers in Sidari.Then direct to Ericusa where you stay 4 hrs.If you are a keen walker it is 10kms around the island.Nice walk, then the last hour in one of the tavernas to recharge the batteries.If you are a more relaxing type small village with a nice beach available.The choice is yours.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline biglillypicker

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
Thanks Yannis will give it a go i reckon

joan

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »
Hi BLP

Have done this trip but we combined it with Mathraki which with hindsight we would just go straight to Ericousa. The island is as described and very peaceful we really enjoyed it. There are good places to eat, we went to the Erikousa hotel  where we had a delicious lunch which too was very reasonably priced and had some different choices to menus in SS.  www.hotelerikousa.gr  unfortunately this website has been changed and does not show as much of the island as the previous one did but it will give you an idea, but just been on google earth and there are lots of photos  and views,also go from the harbour at SS as it is a popular trip the boat fills up at Sidari (you'll get a good seat upstairs).
It's definately worth a visit don't forget to take a video hope you enjoy it ;D

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »
BLP

We booked with Maria at Kappa travel opposite Athens Bar. €50 for two adults and an 8 year old. Boat leaves harbour at 9.15, picks up more at Sidari and then docks in Ericousa at 11.00. Left the island at 3ish and back in SS around 4.45.

Trips run on a Sat, Mon and Wed methinks. We went last Wed.

Hope these responses help you.

Offline biglillypicker

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
Thanks Joan and Loftyscot i looked on ss travel and they do ericousa on Weds and Sundays 20 euro's each. Will give it a go me thinks :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni