Author Topic: Money advice needed  (Read 9844 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Money advice needed
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
I'm considering paying for our San Stef holiday now with my debit card rather than when I get over there - the euro is 1.20 at the moment but I'm concerned that that will go down after the budget next Tuesday. If I do pay by debit card today will I get the 1.20 exchange or the 1.16 being offered by the exchange companies here?  In other words when our Greek friends do the business their end will I get the better rate?

Does that make sense? God I'm confused.

One other thing, what's the rate over there at the moment?

When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Money advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:38:35 AM »
Be careful, we got charged a fee when we paid by debit card last year, I would have paid cash if I had known.
Check it out first!
Exchange rate there according to recent posts is slightly better than here, but depends where you change your money.
Some places add commission - best to ask first!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline SueLa

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
last year we took Travel Cheques and got them exchanged in San Stef.

This was mainly due to a slightly better exchange rate, plus no cash machines working in San Stef or Arillas.

Hope this helps
Sue & John
A smile is a frown turned upside down

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Tony't right, beware of using debit cards.  There's always a heavy charge by your debit card provider for using their cards abroad, even in this country you can pay commission to buy currency if using your debit card.

The exchange rate in SS (after commission) was 1.17 yesterday, this was confirmed to me by Noula (San Stefanos Travel) so there is not a huge amount of difference between GB and San Stefanos.

My advice on earlier postings was to take one of the "no commission credit cards" ie Nationwide, Post Office etc, but beware that some restaurants/tavernas will try to charge you 2% commission, even so it's better than using a debit card and can still be better than paying by cash.

Travellers cheques are still a good idea, if you lose them you can have them replaced at short notice, with cash, once it's lost it's gone forever.

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Tony't right, beware of using debit cards.  There's always a heavy charge by your debit card provider for using their cards abroad, even in this country you can pay commission to buy currency if using your debit card.

The exchange rate in SS (after commission) was 1.17 yesterday, this was confirmed to me by Noula (San Stefanos Travel) so there is not a huge amount of difference between GB and San Stefanos.

My advice on earlier postings was to take one of the "no commission credit cards" ie Nationwide, Post Office etc, but beware that some restaurants/tavernas will try to charge you 2% commission, even so it's better than using a debit card and can still be better than paying by cash.

Travellers cheques are still a good idea, if you lose them you can have them replaced at short notice, with cash, once it's lost it's gone forever.

That'll do for me Wapman, ESP as the PO is only 1-16 and M&S 1-137 today
San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

zoe

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
just been on the phone to crown currency exchange as we always get our moneyfrom them  the rate on the webb was 1.20 if you buy now and have after the 8th aug i know some people worry about that but we have had our money from them for the last 5 years twice a year she asked when we were away and i told her not till september she told me a new rate was about to be put on if you pay now and have the money after 31st aug 1.24  no commision and free delivery over £500  we had 1300 euros for £1045.18

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:01:03 PM »
ICE rate is 1.714 at the moment. Somewhat better!

zoe

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
i wish it was we could all have an exra mythos it was 1.1747  this afternoon

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »
Jimbo - I think that your rate is incorrect! Check it again!! (maybe you did a typo?)
My local rates also agree with Zoe!
I checked I C E on my PC - it says 1.1747 for euro's!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Whoops! Typo! ICE rate this morning is still 1.1747. The base rate is currently 1.197

Best Foreign Exchange is 1.1911 - with a £5 delivery charge for up to £2,500 - that's a pretty good rate if you order say £2000, which I think I am about to do.

The effective rate after shipping:

£1000 = 1.184 = 84.4    pence
£2000 = 1.187 = 84.2    pence

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:53 AM »
W saw £82.00 per €100 yesterday in London commission free - thats over€1.21 / £
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
Did you get any? and was it less commission?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »
Commission free Tony - didn't get any as we were not expecting to see that rate .
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »
Not bad then - always seems strange why there is a difference between London and other parts.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni