Author Topic: Holiday Insurance  (Read 13170 times)

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Holiday Insurance
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:52:34 PM »
Where do most people get their insurance from ?

Just looked on Compare the market, there are 2 week insurance cover deals
from as little as £12 with what 'looks to be' similar cover from say M&S or the PO

I guess the fact the latter two are 5 or 6 times that amount suggests you get what you pay for?

Anyone know of good companies - I don't want to pay Tui's prices but don't want a fly by night
travel policy that doesn't pay out IF called upon to  .. thanks

San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
i have always got mine at Tesco, my 2 weeks this may cost £23 only a single person, but they do seem reasonable.

Sarah H

Offline ianandsarah

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
    • Eco Friendly Products
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
We get free travel insurance with our bank. (well not really free as we pay a monthly fee for loads of benefits)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:38 AM »
Always read the small print as cheap may not always cover you.
If they specify you must notify of any medical problem, do so or you will not be covered and repatriation may cost you your house if they refuse a claim.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
We also get ours included with our bank account.As long as it tells you what you are covered for and it does compare to the leading brands I can't see any problem.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gooeystuey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
Hi Mikee, I use a company called Flexicover direct, as long as you have no serious illness they are very reasonable, and you get 20% discount if you do it on-line.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
We always have annual cover. If you are making multiple trips, particularly outside Europe, it's good value, and always in with the passports.

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:22 AM »
We always have an annual policy through Argos. Had to claim twice and they were quick and professional both times. We rang for advice over our ill-fated Turkish holiday and were told they looked at "ash" as adverse weather conditions. Very few companies followed this lead!
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:16 AM »
We had Argos Insurance once, claimed, had to go to the nearest store, take a ticket and wait,
they then said my compensation was out of stock!! LOL

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
Our holiday insurance is with the bank I work for.  Just a word of warning with any insurance company.  I once again visited the local friendly doctor in San Stef which is a private clinic, with my wretched infected mosquito bites and I only had to pay 5 euros for the pleasure of 2 steroid injections in my bottom!!  Your holiday insurance will cover you, but normally most policies have an excess of £40 to £65, which means that you have to pay that to the surgery and you obviously do not get that back, so it can be an expensive visit should you need to see the doctor.  I paid an excess waiver fee of £11 so that I do not have to pay the excess.  So it is always a saving for me to pay that fee.  Most companies should have this option. 

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »
Like some above - Our Annual Policy is with the Bank as part of my account facility,
we had to declare all our medical problems and everything was accepted (Blood pressure tablets, ashma etc- normal stuff is all ok!).
If we hadn't done so - then any claim would be refused!

don

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
Holiday insurance.............. My father is 83 and has just booked an autumn trip to Spain. On the question of insurance he was asked if he had any health problems.
He answered quite honestly "No but i did lose an eye a few years ago."
Back came the clerk saying "The cover would cost £150.00 more."
My father replied by asking " What trouble could I have with an eye that I don't have that would cost so much to cover? Had I better tell you I lost a finger nail as well?"
Poor young man then excused himself to ask a line manager for advice finally coming back with the original quote.
Even with health problems argue your case.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:33:30 AM by don »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
My mum stays with us and always goes to the local Thomas Cook high street shop as they have her health record on file, however that also means every year her premium goes up, this summer in June it was 148 pounds for a 2 week stay at my home??????? So okay she saved on accom and the flights where cheap but the insurane was double what I would pay if I was going to Uk for a 2 week hol......

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
Would she not save a lot by getting her insurance on line - the tour operators are always very expensive.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
Perhaps - but she dosnt know what a computer or a card in the wall is all about so like a lot of the older generation goes to her man in the high street and feels comfortable with that as she pays cash and comes away with a receipt and loads of paperwork!!!! What can I say I could do it for her 9have offered many times) but thats her generation........

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni