Author Topic: Supermarket prices  (Read 17890 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Supermarket prices
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
What sort of prices are we looking at in the supermarkets for general stuff like coffee, loo rolls, sun screen etc? :)

Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

Re: Supermarket prices
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
take all you need if you can a box of cornflakes over 4 euro and will go up again when vat goes up 1 july t/rolls not to bad

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 02:21:14 AM »
Supermarket prices are OTT.  A packet of cereal cost us 5.20 Euros, but at home in Asda it was £1

I really don't think that self catering is an option as supermarket prices are extremely high. 

We went to SS on a self catering basis 3 weeks ago and only bought breakfast items, it would have been far cheaper to have walked down the road and have a "taverna" English breakfast.

At one supermarket a bottle of Triple Sec was 6.40 Euros the next day it was 9.80 Euros , 50 % extra in one day

I realise the problems with the Greek economy but if you have to buy at a supermarket, do so at your peril!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:27:44 AM »
Generally the only things we buy are milk, cornflakes, water , crisp and soft drinks.I take Latte packet coffee or Capuccino coffees with us. We tend to have a breakfast out every other morning. Last year we took our own loo rolls - I squashed them flat for packing.
What sort of prices were sun lotions / after sun?
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:56:01 AM »
We go to the big Supermarket in Sidari if self catering and do a big shop - much - much cheaper!!
That's where Glen usually shops - he put us on to it!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »
I take a box of cereal and buy milk. Take my own instant coffee. Take cans of sardines and makerel  for the boss man and cheese for me and buy bread for lunches. The only real expenditure is on evening meals.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:03:28 AM »
And do you spread these fishy bits over your body for "Boss-Man" for his evening nibbles Sandra?? - LOL

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
Prices in the supermarkets have generally risen quite a bit from last year, cereals, dairy products etc. are pretty expensive. Buy your suntan lotion, after sun. toiletries etc before you go.

Suntan lotion is at least 50% more than at home and can be even more expensive in the tourist shops.

Bread from the local bakery is 80 cents for a loaf, I think about the same as last year. The good news is that restaurant prices have not moved much yet, although breakfast are now around 4.50-5.00 Euros in San Stef, up about a euro from last year.

Hope this helps.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
Any info helps so thanks - it builds up the bigger picture.

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »
Tony,

Where in Sidari is that cheap supermarket?

Will give it a try.

Andy

joan

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
The supermarket in Sidari is by the old BP garage on the left side, and the dual carriageway that takes you to Roda.( The other on the right is more Italian based and not as good value). There are some things cheaper but don't forget you have to have transport to benefit from any savings you make.Last year a taxi was approx 13 euro each way, the bus is an option but often crowded and waiting times with big bags in the sun whew!! Also they don't stop exactly outside. If you know someone with a car you could bag a lift, alternatively take as much as possible flat packed in poly bags or even choose something  different for breakfast the bread is delicious and cheap and fruit well priced. We take our own coffee, coffeemate and just buy neccesaries, you can't go wrong. Have a great time we've a while before we go so it will be nice to hear reports of what's what.

Regards  J,

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I think this may be my first holiday ever where I take some provisions!

Never done it before and used to laugh at my sis in law who used to pack essentials such as Bacon, Cheese, Baked Beans, Sausages, etc etc!!!

I think I'll draw the line at a few teabags and some coffee though! Always try and take enough sun tan cream to last......the missus has been buying it from Boots 2 4 1 for the last couple of months!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
I always buy ours when things are 2 4 1 as well. Makes everything seem
cheaper

joan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Home and Bargain have a good selection again very competetive prices, also jungle formula  mossie spray which I used earlier this year in Cape Verde( not the calypso brand) it smelt alright and seemed to work ok I didn't get bitten.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
Glad you have just mentioned Jungle Formula - I must buy some.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni