Author Topic: Newby .. few questions ...  (Read 38729 times)

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Newby .. few questions ...
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
Haven't been to Corfu in many tears, tend to go to the other islands and Parga just across the water
but looking at San Stefanos it looks like it could be my sort of place, and thinking of booking 2 weeks
the end of June / begin July ...

(1) Romanza ... is this as good as any of the hotels in the area?

(2) What are the mozzies like at that time of year ? (sept in Parga was awful)

(3) Are there any fishing trips that go out from the bay ?

Thanks in advance ... Mikee

San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

Gavlah1973

Re: Newby .. few questions ...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Mikee

That's reminded of another question I have regarding our trip to San Stef/Romanza in August......

Is it full of crazy wasps at that time of year??!! In Kefalonia the other year it was stupid with them. Mozzies never bother me (must be the copious amounts of alcohol in my veins!) but the wasps were extremely violent!!
I put up with them for so long but they were really agressive.....sure I saw one wielding a baseball bat at one stage!

Cheers

don

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
Been every month of the season bar May. Been assaulted by mossies many, many times but not to badly as we take all sorts of precautions. We were in San Stef for both September and October and not really see wasps at all!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »
Also been in every month of the season over many years.
You may find a few wasps, but they are not very agressive in S S, Corfu,
a little persistant at times - but I don't know anyone who was stung.

Never caused me any problem, mozzies - mostly not too bad!
I don't ever seem to get bitten, but Linda has had a couple of bites last year.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

YANNIS26

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »
Hi Mikee
Welcome to the San Stefanos Forum.I see from your posting you are thinking about staying at the Romanza Hotel late June.I will be staying there 18th June -2nd July.It is my 10th visit so my views as other forum members can tell you are slightly biased.To assist you in your decision I believe the following information will help.
1 Check out the Romanza website at romanzacorfu.com
2 Check the Trip Advisor website at tripadvisor.co.uk for reviews post May 2009.That is the date of major management changes.
 3  Check this forum in the section San Stefanos News and Views page 6 under the heading New Management at the Romanza.
 4   Last but not least check this forum in the section Where to stay  under the heading Romanza one for Yannis.
     Just remember it could be slightly biased as I wrote most of it myself.
Yammas
Yannis  

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:35:12 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
We always go end of August and if we don't use repelent I would always get bit but Roy never does. As for wasps they are about and I have only been stung once a couple of years ago- we were at the juice bar at the time on our last day as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
Thanks Yannis .. I'm glad you said 'post MAY 09 reviews' as there are some not so good prior to that

The dates you are looking at are the same ones I am considering (are you flying from Luton, by any chance)

Since I started looking a week or so ago the prices have already RISEN !!!

Cheers Mikee

Ps: any fishing trips from SS ??

YANNIS26

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
Hi Mikee
I am flying out of Leeds Bradford on the 18th June.
As regards fishing trips I am not sure if they are available from San Stefanos Harbour.I am sure someone on the forum will know the answer.I do know that you can rent small motor boats for individual use.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »
I can't book until I see my boss next tue/wed and ok the 2 weeks off so I hope the price
hasn't increased again by then .. I am looking in the region of £960 for 2 weeks @ the Romanza
same time as you Yannis .. how does that compare with prices from Oop North ?  :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »
Hi Mikee,
The price is in the average band, I would think, but is it for B&B / Half Board or room only?
Romanza - does have many good reviews - and I mean from lots of people I have met who stay there.
As a place to stay - is a great Hotel.

I wouldn't stay there myself, but "only" because I don't like the walk up the hill.
I prefer to stay somewhere on the flat! and just a few mins from the beach as we prefer that to a pool.

Fishing; No organised Trips for Fishing in S S, but check with Noula in San Stefanos Travel as she may know of one.

I have been going every year since 1983 and I often go out with Vassillis from the (Mini-Market) Now Margaritas Supermarket.
If it works out, i.e. calm weather etc, I meet him at 07:00 and go out on his boat & help him put his nets out, & bring in yesterdays!
But this kind of fishing may not suit you, however he does have rods and used to hire them out.
Basically, you need to have a chat with him if that kind of fishing "rocks your boat", make friends and he will invite you if you express an interest.
Also - ask Nikkos (Bar Manager), in the Thomas Bay Hotel if his Dad Theo still has a boat.
Theo probably still does and we hired him for the day a few times over the years, but quite a long time ago now to be fair.
We did our own "Islands excursions" before they did them commercially, with Theo and his knowledge is extensive.
If he still does it, I am sure he would take you Rod fishing for a very fair price!

Good Luck
Tony

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »

Cheers Tony .. WOW 28 years of going to SS, I'm surprised you aren't living there by now  8)

That price is for B&B and as I said has gone up around £50 since I started looking in the last few days

If and when I get there I'll check out your fishing tips

Thanks again

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 01:39:32 AM »
I would say it's a fair price for B&B - Yannis would know better than me though!

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:30 AM »
Thats through Portland (although part of Thomson) are aften cheaper than the Big T themselves !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »
Yes - pricing can be a bit of a scam - sometimes Portland are cheaper then they switch - we check them all out each year!
The biggest problem is that thompsons are the "Big" tour operator there, they tend to manipulate prices to suit themselves.
Unfortunately, they do not pay the locals very well, which is a constant grievence every year, and I don't blame the locals for feeling that way.
They know what we pay and what profits Thomsons and Portland / direct Holidays are making.
Thomas Cook only has a few properties there.

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
I can well believe the profits Tui are making  >:(

Looked at going independantly with Sleazyjet & Monarch, but with transfers etc
it is more or less breaking even so looks like I'll be giving my hard earned cash to Mr Tui  :-\

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni