Author Topic: Romanza........maybe one for Yannis!!  (Read 69008 times)

YANNIS26

Re: Romanza........maybe one for Yannis!!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »
Serious question............................. We know from many friends that the Romanza goes from strength to strength despite staff changes. I also read other forums so why are so many of their "fans" going to stop elsewhere in 2010?
Hi Sandra
It gave me some cause for concern to read that lot of Romanza regulars are staying elswhere in 2010.So much so that i searched every review forum on the internet to find the numbers involved and their possible reasons for doing so.The only adverse comments i could find were on Trip Advisor they were for oct 2009 hols and mainly complained about the breakfasts.This caused the owner Mike to post a reply blaming the pittance he receives from Thomson for Oct bookings.None of these poor reviews appeared to come from Romanza regulars.The other thing that is  slightly strange is that 2 of them were posted Jan/Feb ,a long delay for someone who had something to get of their chest.
I honestly know of only one person a friend of mine who in 2010 instead of visiting the Romanza twice is making one visit .The second visit is to the Teresa where i believe he got a good price.
I am not disputing what you say is true only that i cannot find any evidence.
Yammas
Yannis
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:45:34 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
To be fair Sandra, the other Half board places (can't comment on Teresa's / Perros, as never did the half board or B&B there),
Breakfast is only ever OK and usually continental.
Thomas Bay, Athina Hotel, Nafsika, Golden Beach in the old days, etc. etc.
All have a top-up fee, for the better breakfasts / full English.

We found the best Breakfast's in the resort to be had at Two Stars or the Condor, beat all the Hotels for quality & substance.

I still think that the only disadvantage for those up the hill  - - - is the Hill!
avantage = great views, better rooms in most cases,
disadvantage = (unless fairly fit) - that slog up the hill.
People get older and find it a struggle - that's all that puts me off - Romanza is a great Hotel.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »
the breakfast at the terresa hotel only my opinion and ive stayed twice at the athina h/b is very good last year if you wanted a full english breakfast it was two euros extra for that you got egg bacon sausage tomatoes beans  glass of fresh orange juice two toasts butter and tea or coffee that cant be bad for that price and it was cocked to order and served hot ,but its true that the owners  get pittence from thomsons, leo told me he only gets eight euro a day per person to stay at the hotel scandalous of thomsons ,such a lovely hotel and family and views.yammas mike. :-* :'( :-\

YANNIS26

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
the breakfast at the terresa hotel only my opinion and ive stayed twice at the athina h/b is very good last year if you wanted a full english breakfast it was two euros extra for that you got egg bacon sausage tomatoes beans  glass of fresh orange juice two toasts butter and tea or coffee that cant be bad for that price and it was cocked to order and served hot ,but its true that the owners  get pittence from thomsons, leo told me he only gets eight euro a day per person to stay at the hotel scandalous of thomsons ,such a lovely hotel and family and views.yammas mike. :-* :'( :-\
Hi Mike
Are you sure you should be staying at an hotel where everything is.
C--K-D to order
Yammas
Yannis
Ps     You can get the same English Breakfast deal at the Romanza and after reading how the Teresas is prepared I will stick with the one i know and enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:05:07 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »
yannis for highlighting my spelling mistake but at the age of 66 years things tend to fade and go wrong [i must go to spec savers ] i agree with you the romanza hotel is a lovely place and we have had many a meal at the hotel ,but at my age thinks dont work like they use to be we would love to stay there the views are fantastic the best in san stef ,but my second choice ,as you stated when you are unable to get to the top you next home would be the teresa hotel [good choice].must make sure that the breakfast is well c--k-d when we stay in may . ps sorry about missing the word cheers in front another c--k up it comes to us all in time well thats what they say.yammos mike  ;D :'( :-*

YANNIS26

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi Mike
We are about the same age.I am 67 next month and as yet i have no problem with cardiac hill..I am sure my time will come and when it does as stated in a previous posting i would be delighted to make Teresas my new home. Hopefully that time will not come for a few years yet.
Yammas
Yannis.

zoe

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »
mike dont worry about the spelling you will never be as bad as me but it made the girls on the forum all see if they could book for terresas  jules you didnt let on about that no wonder you go back every year lol!!!

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
evening zoe
                 nice to hear from you  as i stated its only our opinion about the teresa hotel but after staying in a few places in san stef we are very happy with the hotel especially the [c--k-d breakfast not many hotels give this first class service ha ha ha],the views are fantastic as the sun sets and the family are also fantastic we will be there on the 21 may to 4 june i guess we will miss you both had a good deal yesterday 790-oo for two of us and flying from our local airport east midlands plus transfers to resort thomsons wanted 30 pounds return but the travel agent give it to us for being regulars [dont know if he meant going to the toilet or to the shop ha ha ha ] keep smiling yammas mike. :o ::) :-[ :-\ :-* :'( ;D     ps thanks for the support about my spelling .

zoe

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
we will be going the same time as you land about 11am staying at maria and peli

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
hi zoe great to know you both will be there the same time must meet up in glens bar or thomas bay one night you will know me when i shout quack quack lol we arrive at twelve oclock at corfu one hour after you looking forward to meet you both, yammas mike. :-* :-X ::)

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »
Hi Sandra
It gave me some cause for concern to read that lot of Romanza regulars are staying elswhere in 2010.So much so that i searched every review forum on the internet to find the numbers involved and their possible reasons for doing so.The only adverse comments i could find were on Trip Advisor they were for oct 2009 hols and mainly complained about the breakfasts.This caused the owner Mike to post a reply blaming the pittance he receives from Thomson for Oct bookings.None of these poor reviews appeared to come from Romanza regulars.The other thing that is  slightly strange is that 2 of them were posted Jan/Feb ,a long delay for someone who had something to get of their chest.
I honestly know of only one person a friend of mine who in 2010 instead of visiting the Romanza twice is making one visit .The second visit is to the Teresa where i believe he got a good price.
I am not disputing what you say is true only that i cannot find any evidence.
Yammas

They are people we've met who seem to be going to the old part of SS en-masse.
Yannis

Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »
Well where-ever they go - it's still in San Stef!!
Mike don't worry -you are relatively young still so the brain should work well!
I am just a few years younger than you, but my brain is still only 30!!
Must be my job and being around the Kids and grand kids!!
Trouble is my body is not as young as the brain!!

However - I would like to swap my hip for a fit one - so I can run up the hills again!
I am trying to come to terms with Arthritis setting in - and what I can do to stave off the inevitable repair job for a few years yet!
Been very Athletic until last 6-7 years when I slowed down and put some weight on!
Linda says it's not a death sentence but some days it hard to convince me!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

YANNIS26

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
Hi Sandra
Your first posting saying lots of people are leaving the Romanza concerned me.Your second posting saying people were leaving EN MASSE both astounded and disappointed me.Ever since joining the forum i have spoke my mind on all subjects with no malice intended.This applies in this case.It disappoints me that on a forum that strongly supports San Stefanos and its people you make a statement that roughly translated means the rats are leaving the sinking ship.This in my opinion is a kick in the teeth for the management team who took over the Romanza at the start of 2009 who in my opinion and the vast majority of fellow guests are doing a brilliant job.The last thing they want at this time of economic problems.Lets have a look at the facts then let me know if you can justify your statements.
Leo & Jenny left the Romanza at the end of 2008 with it rated approx no6 hotel in Corfu on Trip Advisor.The talk on all the forums was the Romanza would  not be as good in future.
Katie,Alex and family took over in 2009 and following numerous excellent reviews it rose to the No1 hotel in Corfu by mid season.A position it kept until the Oct reviews mentioned in my previous posting.
As I post the Romanza is still rated the No3 hotel in all Corfu.
So in all honesty Sandra i  cannot see how your comments can be justified.
That is unless you or the people who are leaving the Romanza know differerent.
Having said all that i will still let Don buy me a pint when we meet
No hard feelings
Yammas
Yannis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:38:20 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
hi yannis i think you made a mistake  how can leo jenny take over in 2010 and the reviews rose in mid season to the no1 hotel in corfu this season not started yet, i think its spec savers for you to ,lol .i still agree with you about the hotel being the best .yammas mike. :-\ :-[ ::)

YANNIS26

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
hi yannis i think you made a mistake  how can leo jenny take over in 2010 and the reviews rose in mid season to the no1 hotel in corfu this season not started yet, i think its spec savers for you to ,lol .i still agree with you about the hotel being the best .yammas mike. :-\ :-[ ::)
Hi Mike
Well spotted .
Just one of my senior moments.
Amended accordingly
Cheers
Yannis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:43:58 PM by YANNIS26 »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni